1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pifco Camper petrol stove

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by presscall, Nov 4, 2016.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Very pleased to find a clean and complete example of this model, best of all with its box, which establishes it's a Pifco Camper. There's no Pifco catalogue on CCS featuring the model and no other evidence I know of that identifies the Pifco as a 'Camper'.

IMG_3270.JPG

The examples of the Pifco already in the Stove Reference Gallery leave no doubt that it's well-designed and of excellent quality. The billy-can/stove container with meths priming fluid container for a lid is ingenious, provided the warning is heeded.

IMG_3273.JPG IMG_3274.JPG IMG_3275.JPG IMG_3276.JPG

The stove stows in the billy-can once the removable pot rest components are reversed.

IMG_3301.JPG IMG_3300.JPG IMG_3284.JPG

The box is a glorious survivor.

IMG_3287.JPG

IMG_3290.JPG

The stove pictured on the box (looks like a photograph of an actual stove rather than a drawing) has some detail differences from the stove it contains - control knob and lettering on the tank sides rather than the top. The top of the tank is more rounded in the production model. Billy-can pictured has a more angular bail/handle than the one in the outfit.

IMG_3288.JPG

IMG_3297.JPG

Stove in use in scout camp.

IMG_3291.JPG

IMG_3296.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

The Pifco logo pennant flies proudly on the tent, Union Jack on the flag pole.

IMG_3292.JPG

The stove in use in the lounge.

IMG_3289.JPG

That's a 1930's face I would judge, complete with plucked and pencilled eyebrows.

IMG_3298.JPG

A 1930's room setting too surely. The stove has taken on gigantic proportions (the stove itself is small). Questionable safety running it indoors, but in front of an open fire too?!!

IMG_3299.JPG

Stove details.

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3280.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3283.JPG

Fuelled up with Aspen (Coleman fuel equivalent), primed with alcohol.

IMG_3309.JPG

Powerful on maximum setting.

IMG_3306.JPG

Easily controllable simmer.

IMG_3307.JPG

Perfect for brewing up with kettle ...

IMG_3310.JPG

... or billy-can.

IMG_3311.JPG

John

2. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Oh wow, I think I'm in love! :thumbup: :mrgreen:

Alec.

3. snwcmpr United States

Wow John. Nice!!

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Excellent! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

I've never seen one around these parts...

Cheers

Tony

5. cooter303

cooter303 Canada Subscriber

Thats a neat little stove. Never seen one before.

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

That really is the icing on the cake & fantastic graphics. Great find John. Made my stovie day!

7. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Very nice John, will it be going out on Sundays "Bimble" with you?

Si

8. presscall

Cheers all!
    I'd to look up 'bimble', Si - 'a leisurely walk or journey'. Vaguely familiar, I feel I should have known that.

Indeed yes to a Bimble with the Pifco, it deserves a trip out. Marketed by PIFCO (Provincial Incandecent Fittings Co.) founded in Manchester just up the road from me, so a homecoming of sorts. Probably not manufactured by PIFCO however, who tended to contract manufacturing out.

I meant to include this comparison photo. The Svea 123 weighs 100 grammes less at around 500g fuelled up.

IMG_3317.JPG

9. plumberted

plumberted United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John, Great find.I found one a while ago and posted it on the site.It had the complete instruction sheet and spares list with it and the original primer.Would you like a copy to complete your find.?

10. presscall

@plumberted
    Yes please! That would be brilliant, most kind of you. Let me reimburse you for any expenses. I'll send you my address.

John

11. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John @ Presscall. Beautiful stove and great presentation, and yes, like Alexander, I am envious.
    A couple of observations:

British stoves, and the Swedes too with the Optimus 111b, used brazed joints when fabricating petrol (gasoline) stoves, rather than the lead-based solders they used for paraffin (kerosene) stoves. I noticed that the tank of your delectable Pifco appears to be hard brazed construction.

I too had heard that Pifco contacted out the manufacture of their stoves. I recognised the distictive filler cap of your recent offering. I had seen one of those before....

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/monitor-minor-from-early-1930s.12544/

And my Monitor Minor petrol/gasoline stove had a hard-brazed tank.

I reckon we may know who Manufactured your PIFCO Camper petrol-fuelled stove!

Best Regards,
    George.

12. presscall

Hi George @kerophile
    You genius!

You know I've admired your Monitor Minor in return visits to your excellent post many times yet didn't make that connection. It really does cry out 'Monitor' I agree. Of course! (slaps forehead)

IMG_3318.JPG

Very well observed in respect of the brazed joints.

I'm most grateful for your contribution George.

John

13. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John, @presscall

Monitor Minor tank + attached legs = PIFCO Camper Petrol.

The 1930s date ties up too.

I enjoy your posts too.

Best Regards,
    George.

14. plumberted

plumberted United Kingdom Subscriber

It will be a pleasure. email me your address to t.rawson2@btinternet.com and I will have it in the post to you Monday.

15. presscall

I said "Yes please!" and true to his word and gent that he is @plumberted sent me a copy.

It's a wonderful and charming relic, much like the box, with beautifully detailed drawings and verbal gems such as
    I reproduce it here to complete the Stove Reference Gallery entry for this stove, especially since it resolves a couple of connundrums to do with spirit priming. One was the shallowness of the spirit cup, which on an otherwise really well designed stove seemed impractically shallow for a decent priming fill - it's proved to be enough, but it doesn't take much to fill it to excess. The second puzzle was how to transfer priming alcohol from the container/billy-can lid to the priming cup without spillage. Again, on a well-thought out stove it seemed odd that the issue wasn't addressed. I was thinking a funnel or pipette as a possible accessory.

Thanks to Ted's instructions, the answer to both those questions is resolved. A priming torch (pictured on the instruction sheet) was packed with the stove - I'll be constructing a reproduction of one - which was to be dipped in the filler neck of the priming alcohol container then placed in the stove's shallow spirit cup.

Spare parts list and prices on the reverse of the sheet.

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3344.JPG

Thanks again Ted!

John

16. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

John ,
    i love it .
    what more can i say .

kerry

17. presscall

Footnote

I looked for something more representative of the Pifco product range (electrical) to add as a footnote, contemporary to the stove so 1930's.

This caught my eye because it's also survived with its box intact and the box shares the same colour scheme and printing inks of red/black/yellow on a white base as the Camper stove box.

It's a multimeter, or as Pifco called it an 'All-In-One Radiometer', or more grandly THE SHERLOCK HOLMES OF YOUR RADIO SET. At twelve shillings and sixpence it cost four shillings more than the Pifco Camper stove.

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG IMG_3358.JPG IMG_3370.JPG IMG_3355.JPG IMG_3364.JPG IMG_3365.JPG

With a new battery installed - something I need to pick your brains about in the CCS Lounge - the circuit tester function works.

IMG_3368.JPG

John

18. presscall

Back on topic after that diversion on the Pifco meter box graphics, I constructed a lighting torch for the stove on the pattern illustrated in the instructions. Length of stainless steel wire, fibreglass rope, binding of fine brass wire to keep it in place.

IMG_3376.JPG

IMG_3372.JPG

It hooks around the burner stem. (Windshield and upper pot rests removed for clarity.)

IMG_3377.JPG

Charging it with alcohol is as the instructions describe, by dipping the tip in the filler neck of the priming spirit can, tipping the can to get fuel to pool at the neck when it's part empty.

IMG_3378.JPG

Priming illustrated in the instruction sheet.

IMG_3375.JPG

Priming.

IMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

The instructions recommend removing the lighting torch just before it burns out and using the residual flame to ignite the stove when the control knob is opened. Works well.

IMG_3382.JPG

Once again, my thanks to Ted for those instructions. I'd be none the wiser about the use of the lighting torch otherwise.

John

19. snwcmpr United States

@presscall That is so cool. A wick, as suggested here in multiple places, by no less than @kerophile, but to add the handle for carrying the flame to the top.... Ingenious.

20. presscall

@snwcmpr
    Hi Ken.

I'm guessing that the manufacturer's design innovation of making the priming fluid container as a billy-can and stove container lid prompted their thoughts about how to transfer spirit from can to spirit cup. The lighting torch is certainly an elegant solution to get a priming charge into the cramped location, windshield in place, with no spillage.

It's a bonus that it can serve as a hand-held match when applied to the burner head, although in the draught-free conditions I've been trying it out in I found that the burner would light on the flames arising from the torch hooked around the burner stem.