Prentiss-Wabers Lakeside & Handy Chef

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by VooDuuChild, Mar 14, 2009.

1. VooDuuChild

Decided to put these both in the same post as they're exactly the same, aside one being labled and sold for Sears while the other was sold at their competitor Montgomery Ward, haha; go Preway! One has been VERY well used and they other, while used is in great shape. Both are nice and functional (sorry, as with almost all my pics, I don't have running, I didn't have time to to fuel and fire up and don't want to store them with fuel inside of them). I was also in such a rush this day, I forgot to put up the legs on these two for the pics too, but the sun was going down and I still had stoves to shoot! Anyhow, enjoy!

Also thought I'd add this. As with all of my stoves, I've done nothing to restore any, and all but one are in original shape, found as is, wiped off the dust and ran'em. I will be probably doing a semi-restore of the shaggy one of these two just to get a feel for it. But for the most part, they don't need it....so far.

1237148656-IMG_1496.jpg 1237148661-IMG_1497.jpg 1237148672-IMG_1499.jpg 1237148679-IMG_1500.jpg 1237148666-IMG_1498.jpg 1237148685-IMG_1501.jpg 1237148691-IMG_1502.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Lance

Lance Subscriber

VDC as you know there is something primitive, which draws me to it, about a stove that uses a seperate air pump. Good on you for puting these to right.

lance

3. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

did you find a cave full of these things or what :?

4. redspeedster

redspeedster United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi
    Nice stoves.
    Here's a photo of my unrestored Lakeside. I haven't seen any others on this side of the pond.

1237125543-MiniNorthernMeet2006_opt.jpg

5. VooDuuChild

I did actually get both of those stoves together; but all the rest were seperately found. I just never got the chance to take any pictures of any of them due to inclimate weather (wanted nice outdoor shots). And now they're all packed up waiting till s'more decent weather...yeah right, we got snow again today and it just melted yesterday, hahaha.

Hey redspeeder, yours looks to be in nice shape!!! And to have found one over there is AMAZING I would think...they're pretty rare over here too!!!! Score for you my friend!!!

Thanks Lance, I have something of a soft spot for the Prentiss-Wabers and AGM's, but will buy up any Euro stove I can find, when I find....and a Coleman 1 or 2, but that's it, I swear....I can stop whenever I want!!!!!!

6. redspeedster

Hi
    What this thread needed was flames.
    Main burner first.
    Boiling tatties.
    Only working Lakeside in the UK?
    The generator took some cleaning out.
    How can I get a replacement/alternative?

1237577833-101_0026_opt.jpg 1237577848-101_0032_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  7. VooDuuChild

Tough to say as far as parts go, these stoves are rare even here......best bet is another stove like it, or the adaptation of similar generator off of a Coleman maybe. I know that on my Auto Cook Kit model 4 in another post, a Coleman 425 modified works from what I've read.

Nicely done, and yeah, who knows, could be the only working one in the UK.!

8. VooDuuChild

Just had a thought, I think I remember the Lakeside and my Auto Cook 4 having the same setup for generator and also size. I think, but can't verify, they're all packed up....

9. redspeedster

Hi VDC
    Thanks.
    I'll see if I can find a coleman 425 generator.
    Do you have instructions?
    Do you have any info on what are the proper lighting/shutdown procedures for these stoves?
    I know the basics of lighting, pump, prime etc.
    How is the flame controlled, there doesn't seem to be any kind of taper on the wire that goes inside the generator like 123 or the other adjustable stoves I have does.
    There also doesn't seem to be a positive shut off.
    Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks

10. jlgatton

Hi VDC,

A very nice writeup. This weekend a friend of mine lent me a Sears Handy Chef to see if I could come up with some information on his stove and hopefully get it burning.

Since it obviously is quite old and well used and with no instructions with the stove and none that I could find in the instruction gallery on CCS I was hoping that you could answer a couple of questions. Since it has a cast preheat cup I assume that it does not vaporize the fuel like a coleman 2 burner, but has to preheat the coleman fuel more like a Svea 123 prior to lighting.

The puzzling thing is that underneith the cast preheat cup there appears to be a second cup. Do you have any idea what the bottom cup is for??

This stove have the separate pump so I'm guessing it dates from the late 20's to the 30's. The stove is not in the best of shape (surface rust on the case), but I believe it would be a nice addition to my friends collection with a little TLC.

Any information is greatly appreciated and my thanks in advance

11. VooDuuChild

Hey redspeedster, as for adjustment when lit, I'm assuming that it's all done by the needle that protrudes from the end of the generator when the dial is turned fully clockwise. Mine, I'm pretty sure is tapered, which looks to me the only source of regulation for the fuel. As for adaptin a coleman 425, I was told this gentleman (bikamper) has done such a swap on a very similar stove. I've yet to do so myself. Keep us posted, and of course, take pics....

Hey jlgatton, as far as that second cup goes, I dunno. All my stoves are currently packed up right now, so I can't really check it out. Basically, you pump up the tank, open the valve, then there's a rod/thingy (techncal jargon) that allows fuel to fill the pre-heating cup. Burn that, then crank up a burner and pump a couple more times and should be good to go. Or you could just use a propane torch to heat up the burner assembly, and then light it which is what I do a lot of the times.....I won't tell.

haha.

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, VoodouuChild,

Well, you're done it again, Mate! I only recently got into Prentiss-Wabers stoves, with that older one that I scored for $8 at "that same old swap meet"! You have a mint one, which is simply outstanding!

Then, I just found and scored a Montgomery Wards "The Lakeside Camp Stove", which is trucking it's way to me at this very moment, for a very nice price, and you, too have one!!! When I saw the photos of this Monkey Wards stove, I thought to myself that it looked very much like it was made by Prentiss-Wabers, and VOILA: it was!!! VERY neat that PW was making them for both Sears and MW at the very same time!! Crafty marketers, that's for sure.

My "new" MW Lakeside comes with it's pump, but I'm not sure what else. To my eyes, it appeared that the fuel cap from this stove will fit my old PW from the swap meet. Do you think so? How about yours? Fuel caps interchange (hope, I hope, I hope!!)

Yet another fine score for you, and a fine post about it, too! Thanks for sharing, as your info has shown the light of truth on my own "new" PW stove. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I'm hoping to take both of my PW's to the upcoming CA Stove Gathering #2, to play with them, and hopefully, get them both up and running. :thumbup: :D/ :D

13. VooDuuChild

I'd imagine the caps are the same Doc; but I cannot be very sure as all my stoves are packed up for now. Can't wait to see pics of your new PW's Doc! Fine little stoves and pretty neat that they were the direct competition for Coleman back in the day.

14. Lance

Lance Subscriber

PW campstoves predates Coleman but it's my opinion that Coleman had better advertising as well as name recognisation from their lanterns to overcome the compitation.

lance

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, VDC,

Thanks, very much! I'll be taking both of my PW stoves to the CA Stove Gathering #2, which begins tomorrow!! The Monkey Wards "The Lakeside Campstove #2" arrived today, safe and sound. I'll try to get both of the PW's up and running at the Gathering. One way, or the other, I will take photos of the pair of them, side by side. Neat old stoves, that's for sure! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  16. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

guess I will add to this old topic, I just restored a HANDICHEF its virtually the same as yours right down to the brown paint on the burner/tank supports. Mine differs in that it hasan external fuel pickup off the bottom of the tank that goes into the valve, lets see if I can post a picture, guess I will work on the upload, its been a while
    Jan

17. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

PW SearsRoebuck stove FINISHED 004_opt