1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preway 4523-A three burner stove

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by Weirdnerd, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Weirdnerd United States

I just aquired a Preway 4523-A three burner stove, looks like it may need some work to get operational, as far as I know, it will require complete cleanup, repair of pump check valve, repair of valve to fount bung and some paint. I would like to know a little history about this stove, maybe years of manufacture to get an idea of historical time frame. Because of the design of the burner assembly it is indisputably a Coleman fuel ( white gas) stove. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi; If that is "JB weld" on the tank you may have to remove it and do some soldering. Remember it is a gas tank and precautions must be taken while soldering. Mike...

3. Weirdnerd United States

That is lead solder, somebody soldered the valve to the fount, the fount is empty and does not smell like it has had fuel for a very long time, I will desolder it and make sure it can be restored properly. ( I know about fumes and explosion risks, I work on airplanes)

4. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 United States Subscriber

Where are you located? I worked aircraft also.

5. Weirdnerd United States

Western slope, Colorado.

I like kerosene burning things

[​IMG]

6. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

:-kMmmm, thirsty beast I suppose! Do they let you have the kero used for purging etc? Would be nice!

Best regards,

Wim

7. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Nice BIG Preway three burner! I have a similar one. Heavy is the other adjective I would use too.

On another note, I'm sure you are aware of many of the dangers and I surely don't want to insult your intelligence, but, you may have to take caution on the fuel tank in another regard. I have several of these later Preways where the tank has rusted from the inside and has caused pin-holes that you can't see since they are covered with rust from the inside. With only with a little pressure and the right conditions will you find this out. I almost found this out the wrong way. See the link below. It happens far more seldom with steel Coleman fuel tanks, but more so with Preway, so I would take every precaution to pick at every lump, spot, or dimple somewhat aggressively and thoroughly to check for these pinholes. You won't be sorry you did and it can't hurt anything.

Here's a thread: Almost Perfect Preway

sam

8. Weirdnerd United States

I will be using acid etch inside, then inspect with a Borescope, then 90 PSI water immersion pressure test..... hehehe if it wants to fail, it will fail. ;)

9. HercL4D2

If your inspection and test fails it looks like you may have what you need to Fabricate a new Tank for your stove. Those power plant bleed air ducts should weld up perfectly. I am sure you have a recycle bin in your shop.

Wasatch Mountains, Utah

10. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

nice stove Werner, as for age, I would guess late 50's
    Jan

11. Weirdnerd United States

Stainless 4 inch tube, Monel Cherries and PR 1750...hehehe

12. Weirdnerd United States

Thanks Jan, the style is nice looking, and it is built like a Sherman tank.

13. Weirdnerd United States

Today I dis assembled the valve, the needle at the end of the tip cleaner is MIA, the gas tip looks like somebody drilled it through with a 1/16 of an inch bit... also there is rust inside the generator... may need to get creative and see if parts for a Coleman 426 generator can be fitted. Doubtful there are NOS parts for a Preway this model.

14. HercL4D2