Primus Grasshopper butane stove variations

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by presscall, Feb 28, 2013.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Curiosity got the better of me and I've put together a collection of Primus Grasshopper stoves that demonstrate what I've identified as the four main variations produced during its production life

1362084014-1.jpg

Left to right they are: yellow/orange colour scheme, plastic control collar; pale green colour scheme, plastic control collar; pale green colour scheme, painted metal control collar; pale green stove frame, lacquered steel control collar

There's no date code on stove or box but I'm confident this is the earliest version, since it's mint and was packaged together with a contemporary gas cartridge which had a price sticker on it that was in pre-decimal currency (UK), so purchased before February 1971. (More on this example here: Unwanted Christmas present )

1362084033-3.jpg

I know the type below was marketed no later than 1973, since it's clearly the version that appears in the 1975 reprint of the 1973 issue of 'Stoves for mountaineering' here in CCS's Stove Reference Library (Ninth image in this set)

1362084027-2.jpg

The control collars provide the main distinguishing feature between the different versions

1362084043-4.jpg

The plastic collars have a flaw - they develop cracks and the only other one I've seen had the type of repair a previous owner gave the green one here

1362084051-5.jpg

Primus (Bahco earliest version, Primus-Sievert later) must have got themselves pretty confused when delving into their stock bins to assemble individual stoves, as this sticker suggests in referring to a metal control collar when it's got a plastic one

1362084059-6.jpg

A few more characteristics.

Early type, green colour scheme, painted metal control collar, Bahco production with instructions in English only, 'Grasshopper' name appears on box

1362084067-7.jpg 1362084076-8.jpg

Bit later type, yellow/orange colour scheme, plastic control collar, Primus-Sievert production with instructions in English and several other languages, Grasshopper name added to box later as a pasted-on label. That gas cartridge is contemporary to the stove incidentally

1362084086-9.jpg 1362084095-10.jpg 1362084117-12.jpg

The green colour scheme, plastic control collar type has a box with the Grasshopper name absent and just the model number appears on it

1362084105-11.jpg

Detail on the early/later gas cartridges

1362084137-13.jpg

Back to the green colour scheme, plastic control collar version, it has an assembly clip that sets it apart from the other versions

1362084149-14.jpg

Clip on other versions top, that on the green plastic control collar type below

1362084173-16.jpg

What that photo shows is how the heftier gauge clip projects from both sides into the control spindle cavity. Its those two projections that prevent the control spindle from screwing right out

1362084184-17.jpg

On the green plastic control collar version with the slenderer gauge assembly clip, the clip doesn't stop the spindle from unscrewing too far and it's left to this rather primitive arrangement of a screw butting up against the control collar, which probably contributed to those cracks developing in the component

1362084162-15.jpg

Curiously, on two of the other variations (yellow/orange colour scheme and laquered metal control collar) the assembly clip provides the spindle stop but the stove frame's equipped with a stop screw in the stove frame too. Only the earliest version doesn't have that stop screw in the stove frame

1362084230-19.jpg 1362084210-18.jpg

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. RonPH

John, I am always amazed at your presentation and it does serve also as a tutorial since the stove is stripped down :thumbup: Makes it easy for newbies to check and compare the model the own with that of your family of stoves.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lets head to the pub.

Ron

3. S Atkins

We have one of these grasshopper stoves that we use, purchased in the early 70s. It doesn't have a colored plastic regulator at all. We simply spin the butane tank to control the amount of fuel flow. Do you have information on this variation?

4. presscall

Hello and welcome to CCS! Your comment makes me realise I didn't describe the operating principle clear in my write-up, but as you've said (rotating the butane tank to regulate the flame) that's how all of those Grasshoppers pictured work.

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

S Atkins, is this the type of Grasshopper you have?

6. Mark B.

S Atkins, I have the Primus Grasshopper model #2255 (yellow collar) but have been unable to find butane cartridges for it. Where do you get your butane fuel cartridges? Greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

7. shagratork

The simple answer is that the butane cartridges with a screw top are no longer produced.
    However, the current screw top cartridges containing butane and propane work fine.

But-Prop.jpg

8. S Atkins

Sorry, we actually run propane on ours. I misspoke.

9. S Atkins

Yes, I believe it is our model. Do you know the years it was manufactured. We've had ours at least since the early 70s.

10. Mark B.

Thanks for the fast response. Where might I purchase these Parasene Gas cartridges in the USA? Our local hardware store (True Value Hardware) does not carry them. I attempted to use the Coleman butane canisters I found at the WalMart, but they do not have a screw top. I'll keep looking.

11. shagratork

Hi Mark B.

I have just had a look on US eBay and Amazon and can not find the type of cartridge I showed - though they are common in Europe.
    Actually, I did find some, but they are sold by UK sellers and the shipping costs are huge.

Instead you could buy the common bayonet-type butane cartridge and use a connector converter.

Butane like this.

Converter like this.

12. Mark B.

Thanks, shagratork. I just bought the converter from eBay. Has to ship from Korea, so will likely take a while. Hoping this does the trick. Thanks a bunch for the tip!

13. presscall

@Mark B.
    Watch how you go using the bayonet fitting cans with an adaptor however.

In this post ...

14. Mark B.

presscall, oh, wow, thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, the yellow outer shell is missing so maybe I should not use the stove? Would not wish to go the same learning curve you apparently have already traveled! I will look again for the yellow regulator shell. The stove was purchased back in the early 70s and it was a great little stove for summer backpacking. I have an old Optimus 8R with pressure pump I use for winter and altitude. I've been out of the country for quite some time and others have "borrowed" the Grasshopper. I hope the shell can be located. Thanks again to everyone. You have all been most helpful.

15. Nbsaad

Nbsaad Subscriber

wonderfull collection .

16. hikin_jim

Moderator edit: Resurrection of an old thread

So, now wait. Are these old Grasshopper stoves, the butane version, compatible with the standard Epi Gas type 7/16ths UNEF threaded canisters of today? For example, the canisters sold today by MSR, Primus, Optimus, Snow Peak, Jetboil, etc.?

I had it in my mind that they used a different canister type.

HJ

17. presscall

@hikin_jim
    The screw fitting thread's the same, but unless the gas cart is this shape ...

IMG_3752.JPG

... it won't fit inside the regulator sleeve, this component ...

IMG_3753.JPG

18. hikin_jim

Aaaah. The light dawns. :content:

Hmm. Unfortunately, those are not readily available in the US. :(

HJ

19. hikin_jim

But the tip of using an adapter with the restaurant type 100% butane canisters is a good one. With respect to such, I suppose one must turn the adapter, not the canister, to adjust the flame.

And of course, I thank you.

HJ

20. presscall

Not turning the gas canister (but the regulator sleeve) is the safety advice in the stove instruction sheet. True for the screw fitting canisters and for the bayonet ones with adaptor too.

Those bayonet adaptors are ingenious and well made but I'm disappointed the manufacturers haven't devised a locking tab/pin device to prevent the adaptor disengaging accidentally.

John