Primus No.10 - 1939

Discussion in 'Primus No:10' started by kerophile, May 16, 2007.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I saw a Primus No. 10 sold on Ebay recently and it occurred to me that these stoves do not appear very often. There also appears to be little information about them.

I looked out these photos of a 1939 (AD) Primus No. 10 I have.

These Primus No. 10 are a somewhat unusual stove in that the tank is only slightly larger than that of a Primus No. 1 or 5.( 2.25 pints compared with 2 pints). However, the No. 10 is equipped with an over-size silent burner.

Here you can see a Primus 5 (on the left) alongside the 1939 Primus No. 10

1355230336-P1000135_edited.jpg

Here I've taken off the pan-rings so that you can see the different burner arrangements more clearly.

1355230344-P1000137_edited.jpg

This is the 1939 Primus No. 10 stove.

1355230329-P1000142_edited.jpg

When you remove the silent caps you can see that the burner arrangement is somewhat different from that of a No. 5 stove.

1355230354-P1000143_edited.jpg

Here are some shots of the silent burner caps from a No. 5 stove and a Primus No.10 stove (on the right).

1355230367-P1000134_edited.jpg

The outer burner cap of the No.10 stove (shown in the back row), is larger, and has 5 rows of holes, compared with the 4 rows of this No. 5 cap. In addition,the inner silent cap of the No. 10 ( also in the back row) has a built-in spigot which engages in the central hole of the burner body.

I think the Primus No.10 stove might share a silent burner type with the Primus No. 25 stove.

Any information or comments gladly received.

If I get an opportunity tomorrow I will fire-up the Primus No. 10 and share some pictures with you.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. kerophile

Hi, I cleaned up the large burner and fired up the Primus No. 10 stove yesterday; here are some photos:

DSCN0001_edited-25.jpg

Small kettle on a big burner did not take long to boil.

DSCN0008_edited-11.jpg

This is the stove and burner on low power.

DSCN0006_edited-11.jpg

DSCN0011_edited-7.jpg

DSCN0010_edited-14.jpg
    A close-up of the burner head showing the six rows of holes on this particular large silent burner cap.

Regards,
    Kerophile

3. kerophile

I do actually have another 1939 Primus 10, but unfortunately it is fitted with a standard 2-pint size burner and can't achieve its true potential yet. I will keep my eyes open for a spare large silent burner... but they are almost as rare as the stoves.

I do keep my eyes open for the more unusual Primus stoves. They may look similar to the run-of-the-mill models but they were obviously developed for a particular purpose or segment of the market. By 1957 the Primus 10 is not included in the B A Hjorth Catalogue.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. exeter_yak

Hello All,
    It's another nice stove George.
    It is very good to have the photo comparison to the model 5 to see how much larger the burner is. It would seem the tank is proportionately large enough to allow the model 10 to run for a similar time period to a model 5.

If I were to take a guess, the model 10 would have worked similarly to the the silent version of model 2 which is a 6 I think. Sorry, I'm too lazy to look it up. That size stove might have have worked for a school or hospital kitchen, a large family perhaps or for extended family gatherings, or for a catering service for example. My experience with the silent burner type stoves such as model 5 is they are unobtrusive and they put out a lot more heat than it would appear they are capable of. The 10 looks to be 1.25 times the power of a 5.

I noticed you have yet another tea kettle on the subject stove. You must have a large storage area to have so many tea kettles, or are you borrowing tea kettles from the neighbors just for variety ?
    Just kidding, it is a great stove .

Regards,
    Doug