PRIMUS No1 c.1895-6

Discussion in 'Primus No:1 (inc S & J )' started by igh371, Dec 21, 2015.

1. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

DSC03551.JPG

This Primus No.1 conforms to the criteria to place it in or before 1896 i.e. no Primus stove logo and pre-1896 patent form of pressure pump/NRV. The only tank top markings are 'Patent' and 'Primus No.1', but the presence of the 'No.1' would seem to preclude it being any earlier than c.1895. Despite the age almost every part seems remarkably crisp and little used, although one leg has been detached and rather crudely re-soldered at some time.

DSC03531.JPG DSC03535.JPG DSC03533.JPG DSC03532.JPG DSC03536.JPG DSC03537.JPG DSC03538.JPG DSC03547.JPG DSC03548.JPG

The burner appears to be absolutely original to the stove as does the fabulous cast iron trivet. Compared to this other similar No.1, however, this example has an earlier form of burner with a simple plain round base, no hex at the threaded end to aid installation and removal (c/f this even earlier example).

DSC03541.JPG DSC03542.JPG DSC03540.JPG DSC03544.JPG DSC03546.JPG DSC03549.JPG

One hesitates to guess at how long this old survivor must have lain out of use, and yet, with a fill of clean new paraffin, the pump leather given a reviving oil soak and the jet pricked, it fired up perfectly at first attempt. Result: a fine cup of chai tea :D.

DSC03552.JPG

The fact that it fired up so readily is the reason why there are no exploded and disassembled photos here of either the old form NRV or the old leather back-stop pump assembly; because there was no need to disturb either! Anyway there are plenty of photos of both of these elsewhere in the gallery including in the 2 links given above.

2. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Ian, Ditto on "fabulous". Congrats on scoring another ancient example, this one nearly pristine! Wonderfully presented, thank you. Everything about this is fabulous, certainly the "absolutely original to the stove as does the fabulous cast iron trivet" as that trivet example is not shown on Christer's example of same vintage.
    A testament to yours and his being in excellent original condition IS the earliest, extended pot stands are still in-tact. The longer ends closest to the burner are more often deformed or disintegrated.
    thank you omc

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

You might consider re-purposing that old stove into something more useful.

Stove Lamp.jpg

Just kidding of course. That stove of yours is a real treasure.

Ben

4. pau-i-amor

pau-i-amor Subscriber

This is a heresy!!!! :rage:

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  6. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

We need more thats...

7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Great find Ian - topped off with a cracking flame shot! The trivet is a cracker!

On the earliest trivets the centre actually formed the flame ring on the burner.

8. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Boy, oh boy, that is a wonderful stove.
    Approximately 120 years old and looking like new.

The crowning glory is that stunning trivet.
    Casting one sort of trivet must be similar to casting another, so why did they stop this fantastic design?

9. threedots New Zealand

That is nice. I'm envious. :mrgreen:
    John

10. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Very nice, thank you for posting.
    Duane

11. igh371

Couple of additional general shots, and the inner end of the pump with 2 peg-spanner holes supposedly requiring a special service tool for assembly and dis-assembly:

DSC03570.JPG DSC03573.JPG DSC03568.JPG DSC03574.JPG DSC03575.JPG DSC03576.JPG DSC03577.JPG

12. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Ian, what a wonderfully preserved stove, and great presentation.
    The stove is in amazing condition and the cast-iron pan ring is a revelation. I am not sure that would be able to make its equal today, despite advances in technology. The pattern making had to be first class and the fluidity of the molten iron very high to get such detailing.
    Best Regards,
    George.

13. igh371

@kerophile, interesting point you make about the pan ring. To start with there was something about the colouration and finish on the ring that made me think it could even have been cast brass. The underside gives that impression even more than the top. It can't be, however, because a magnet will attach to it. So I'm not sure what grade or finish of cast iron it might be.
    Ian.

14. kerophile

Hi Ian, the stove manufacturers or their sub-contractors seem to have been masters of cast-iron manufacture.

Here is a 1911 example of another cast-iron trivet from a Primus stove:

https://classiccampstoves.com/attachments/1355187325-dscn0137_edited-3-jpg.108268/

Less intricate than your example but with more lettering.

You make an interesting observation about the brassed appearance of your cast trivet. I have seen a similar brass-looking trivet some time ago on, I believe, a French manufactured stove. I will need to look for the photos.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

15. kerophile

Hi Ian, here is the link to the French Ultimus stove I was trying to recall.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/ultimus-no-20-french-stove.5413/

From the photos you will see the cast-iron pan-ring with a very brass-like appearance.

Is this what you see on your Primus trivet?

I have no idea whether this is a characteristic of certain grades of cast-iron or a feature of some surface treatment or coating.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

16. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Curiouser and curiouser! cried Alice :-k

17. igh371

Well yes, that is very much the appearance of the trivet on this old Primus. There must be a metallurgist out there somewhere who could explain how some cast iron comes to have this brass-like look.

18. kerophile

Fairy Dust, Christmas Magic?
    Best Regards,
    A Failed Metallurgist,
    Kerophile.

19. kerophile

20. igh371

Very inventive those old metal workers, lost skills. Would it have made any difference if it were basic cast iron or a form of malleable cast iron? Was the latter ever used for stove trivets? (it might have been more resistant to cracking) :-k