Prototype Military No.12? Not TOC manufacture

Discussion in 'Military' started by presscall, Jul 11, 2015.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Extensive use of stainless steel, an Optimus regulated silent burner, bronze tank and brass pump and filler cap fittings

1.JPG

Flip out legs/stove clamps as on a Military No.2

2.JPG

3.JPG

No carrying handle as such, but a stout leather strap serves

4.JPG

The stove was missing the legs, but the locating stubs and pivot holes in the stove case gave the game away and I made up a pair out of stainless steel strip and silbrazed in brass rod pivots

5.JPG

Unlike the TOC No.12, this doesn't have a removable pump tube and it's a short one set at a steeper angle to the tank. The working end of the pump was a cylindrical nylon block and O-ring arrangement, which I swapped for a proper pump leather but I'll not throw out the original

6.JPG

Screw clamps and a clip housing for the burner hold everything in place

7.JPG

8.JPG

Comparison photos of a Military No.2, this 'prototype' (as I've called it) No.12 and a TOC No.12

9.JPG

10.JPG

I believed I saw in this stove some family similarities to the 'Tools of Coventry' (TOC) production No.12, but an email to TOC resulted in this reply from Dan Simmonds, Company Director:-

It's not an amateur production and given Dan's confirmation that it wasn't manufactured by TOC, my best guess is that an unknown manufacturer constructed it to submit for the MOD contract bid that TOC subsequently won.

They're very close, but designed to the same specification on dimensions, they would be ...

11.JPG

... to the extent that the fuel tanks and burners can be swapped over

12.JPG

Instructions for the 'prototype' No.12 and the TOC version

13.jpg

The 'prototype' has a flat on the pump knob for clearance for one of those stowage loops but the pump tube cap's not been drilled for a loop

14.JPG

Here's the arrangement on the TOC stove

15.JPG

Mind you, that loop is soldered (not silbrazed) in place, gets detached and lost. I'd to construct a loop and silbraze it in place for my TOC No.12

16.JPG

17.JPG

Whopper of a non-return valve on this 'prototype' No.12 - comparison with one from a Primus 96

18.JPG

It was mated to a hard rubber washer at the base of the tube, the washer disintegrating when I removed the NRV to replace the 'pip' seal. I cut a sealing washer out of lead to re-install it in the pump tube

19.JPG

Primed and fired up

20.JPG

John

2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Great to see the detaill John. I saw this on ebay & was tempted purely due to the fact it looks to be an interesting prototype.

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Great stove, John and a wonderful set of photos.
    But what makes this special is your research and comparisons.
    Photos are always good, but photos with a detailed commentary are always better.

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Hi Ross, Trevor, thanks!

You mentioned research, Trevor, sadly the trail went dead with that email to TOC. The ebay seller couldn't say where it originated, having got it at a car boot sale. If the MOD commissioned it they'd know, but they're got rather more pressing work to do than help out a stovie seeking provenance on a stove!

I've a few more pics and observations.

As a prototype, it's not perfect. When cold the hinged part of the frame warps ...

21.JPG

... and settles down into place when the burner's running

22.JPG

To access the priming pan, that hinged part of the stove has to be lifted up, pan filled with alcohol, pan contents lit - oh, and the brass regulating key has to be slipped onto the burner spindle, since with the hinged part down, it's impossible to see the ends of the spindle/key to engage. Of course, it means the regulating key has to be in place throughout a stove firing and there's no insulating handle on it. Ouch!

23.JPG

That done, it's got the benefit of that lovely burner from Optimus. Incidentally, the stove is clearly billed as diesel-fuelled. I've been using paraffin. TOC's burner works well on diesel (Nigel - K180 has always said). I doubt the Optimus burner would stay in good shape for long on the stuff

24.JPG

The TOC No.12 has two windshield flap outriggers and that roarer burner. This No.12 has just the one windshield flap and in spite of being entirely shielded below cap level by the stove frame, it's badly affected by moderate gusts of wind. I've taken to using an aluminium windshield to supplement the built-in arrangement

25.JPG

Stowage of the windshield flaps on the TOC

26.JPG

... and on the 'prototype' No.12

27.JPG

Before stowage, the folding pot rest has to be folded away

28.JPG 29.JPG 30.JPG

The weight of the stove lid creates the latching effect that enables the windshield flap to keep the lid upright and it's just a case of unlatching the catch to lower the lid

31.JPG

The regulating key locking the flap in place

32.JPG

One last point, concerns that regulating key. You can see why the designer chose that T-handle form, to enable it to be used to lock down the windshield flap in the lid. I've already pointed out that the key has to be kept in place when the stove's in use - and it gets hot. In fact, it's still possible to regulate the burner without sustaining burns - you've just not to use a lingering grip on the key!

As a prototype, it needed some wrinkles sorting out. The TOC was better thought out.

John

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Excellent, John!

6. kerry460

kerry460 Australia R.I.P.

G,,day John .
    i love single burners in tins ,
    ever since i got my Nomad ,
    i like this one of yours very much, thank you for the excellent write up and photos .

cheers
    kerry

7. OldGreyDog

A nice buy and possibly unique. Its a very ibteresting stove and certainly looks to be a professional job... My first, and so far my only, kero' stove is a No.12 and having used it three or four times this summer, I like it a lot. The soft soldered retaining loop on the pump broke off mine about the second time I pumped it up and with encouragement and advice on here (and generous offers to fix it for me), I sucessfully sil-brazed it on myself - in fact it was my first attempt at silver-brazing!

8. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

once again you have excelled yourself Maestro! outstanding post - you got MAD skills - as they say

i envy your abilities, your fabrication of parts in particular and now you have added a new facet to stovedom

Forensic Stoveology!

when i go on trial for stove crimes i hope the defence calls you as an expert witness and not the prosecution

and i'll be beggered why you are not a 'you know what' but i got told to drop it or get banned permenent like berni dog - what was his crime?

anyone know? or is it a big secret?

9. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

OK. Welcome back Rickybob. You have mail. No other members bans have been discussed in any correspondence with you.