1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PW 8B

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by dwillie, Jul 16, 2014.

1. dwillie United States

I have used this one a lot over the years. Funky pump on it.

1405532960-AGM_stove_005.JPG

1405533076-AGM_stove_004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. DAVE GIBSON United States

i have just like that and also apart for some repair.i bet a drop of oil on the pump leather and you will be cooking cheese brats in no time!

3. dwillie United States

She cooks great! I made a mistake though, as it says 8B on the tag I think. Tag is rough shape. I dont know how to edit that. Someone must have had a bacon fire? lol.

4. DAVE GIBSON United States

1405559674-small_gas_machine.jpg
    thats the guts out of mine.they got a soak in WD40 spray oil and some tapping with that ax to free up some rusty parts.
    it all looks good so far except the small burner jets are rusted away in places.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. dwillie United States

Lol. You gotta have the right tool for the job... A hacksaw works well for cleaning that slot for the second burner control. I just got the Cheese Brat thing. lol. Notice I used capitol letters... Post pics of the initial fire please.

6. mike190

mike190 United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi,
    I ha just purchased one of these and you sound the person to help me , what is the procedure for lighting it?

7. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Here's what I do with 9s, 8s, and similar PW stoves, assuming it is working and filled with fuel:

1. Pressurize the stove with the built-in pump. Maybe 10 to 20 pumps to start with, more with a less efficient pump. You'll need a lot of air since the 9B is an instant lighting stove.
    2. You have two knobs. One is the fuel control for the stove, the other is an air inlet that allows for a lot of air for starting the stove. The knob that juts out the side of the valve body is the instant lighting valve. Open that valve about a turn or two. Nothing will happen yet.
    3. Open the main valve to start letting fuel into the burner. Since the instant lighting valve is open, this will allow fuel and lots of air into the burner, which will greatly atomize the fuel so you can light it without having to prime the burner/generator.
    4. Your flame will be yellow/blue at first until the generator gets hot enough. When it turns almost all blue, turn off or close the instant lighting air valve.
    5. Your flame may be a little weak at this point due to most of the air in the tank being used to light the burner and getting the flame hot enough to work. Pump more air into the tank, maybe 10 to 15 more pumps, depending on how efficient your pump is. A perfectly working pump, won't require very many pumps. A less efficient pump, will require double or triple the number of pumps.
    6. Adjust your flame to the desired level.
    7. Cook something.

Hope that helps,
    Sam

8. mike190

mike190 United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Sam,
    That is what I thought but always best to ask. I will give it a go tomorrow as it's 10.22 pm here.
    Thanks,
    Mike.

9. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

really nice Darrien, not sure if I have 1 like that, these are great burning stoves
    Jan