1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quirk's Ekonomee Kooka

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Colin M, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Colin M

Hi All,

Found recently in AU but now in bits and pieces undergoing restoration.

1396949038-DSC04342.JPG

1396949095-DSC04343.JPG

1396949108-DSC04344.JPG

1396949118-DSC04345.JPG

1396949133-DSC04346.JPG

1396949149-DSC04349.JPG

1396949162-DSC04350.JPG

A bit of boring stuff about Quirks.

Originally floated in 1912 with 75,000 Pound shares of 1 pound each. Majority of Shares held by Owners. Originally was Quirks Engineering & Lighting Pty Ltd.

Specialized in large gas plants of 150 -200 Lights using " Safety Air Gas."

Filed for Bankruptcy 1916. From paper clippings of the time Quirks got themselves into trouble by not being able to produce the Patents they supposedly acquired from the US.

In the 20's a Quirks Victory Lamp appears but no pictures available.

By the middle 30's Quirks Victory Lamp appears in adverting material and is a rebadged AGM of the period.

By this time was trading as QVL and branched out into anything they could produce. At one stage was making Sanitary Night Cans.

At some unknown time they introduced their GPA Cooking Range. This one appears to be Late 30's. Still producing GPA Cooking early 40's but also branching out into petrol Generators as a Lighting Source.

To This day QVL is still operating producing / Selling Solar Energy and Electrical Switching etc.

From initial shortcomings the Company has had many diverse operations in 100 years.

I do not know if the QVL of 2014 is still handled by the original Family.

Apart from a Gas Plant in the Power House Museum in Sydney this is the only evidence of Quirk's I have been able to find.

Colin

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Businesslike piece of kit.

Ekonomee Kooka - great example of 'sensational spelling for marketing effect.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Great stove!!!!!

4. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

G,,day. is that the lightweight hiking version??? haha.

It is different, a "normal" looking home stove but kero?? fuelled. Nice find and the history to go with it.

cheers
    kerry

5. Normo

Normo Australia Subscriber

Nice find! I have never heard of this brand before.

Norm

6. Colin M

Quirks is pretty obscure, stumbled across them several years ago hence the research.

Not exactly a camping stove but for domestic use. They fitted a niche market outside the electricity grid.

Colin

7. Normo

Please let's see the result of your restoration.

I feel this post should be moved the the Stove Reference Gallery - Australia - Other. It is a part of domestic history.

I also have a similarly obscure domestic stove in the shed.
    This may motivate me to photograph and post it.

Norm

8. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Subscriber

You could always report it to the Mod Team as such - simply click on the '!' button (third one in from the left, bottom right... ;) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. Normo

Thanks David.

Norm

10. Spiritburner

Spiritburner United Kingdom Admin Subscriber

Hows the refub going? I have one of these which is 75% refurbed. I'm determined to finish it this year.

11. abbahco1

abbahco1 United States Subscriber

Only Australians will know this: one of the standard and most popular household gas ranges from about the '20s on was the "Early Kooka", whose logo was a kookaburra (the Aussie laughing bird) with a worm in its mouth. My grandmother (and many other householders in Australia) had one. Actually, we had one too. So the name "Ekonomee Kooka" is a double play on words competing against the favourite gas cooker sold in Australia at the same time by using the Kooka reference. In Australia, right up through the 1960s Primus-type kero stoves were used extensively in rural areas where there was no town gas. The filler cap and airscrew on this stove appear to come from the Companion works in Melbourne, which licensed the Swedish Svea/Sievert designs when there were import restrictions during the second world war. Maybe the tank did too, the burners look like Primus no. 4155 regulating silents.