1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rippingilles '405' wick stove

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by presscall, Jul 23, 2016.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

With it's hammered, metalflake paint finish to the fuel tank I place the stove as a 1960's product, one of the last of the company's output.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I can't find a catalogue entry for the stove, but it appears to have had a predecessor - with some design differences - incorporated in a greenhouse heater from 1938 (Model No. 167) with the stove available separately at nearly half the cost of the other small 4 1/2-inch wick single burner stove shown because of its tinplate as opposed to cast-iron fuel tank of twice the fuel capacity.

image.jpeg

The company had survived into the 1960's, this advertisement for their 'Fyrside' heater dating from 1961.

image.jpeg

Like all wick stoves, the 405 gets the job done eventually and half-an-hour saw a couple of pints of water reach boiling point.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After that firing I remembered I had a scrap of mica I could replace the discoloured window in the chimney with.

image.jpeg

A contemporary to this Rippingilles is the Harper No.3175 Beatrice stove, also with a pressed steel fuel tank. The Harper product has a 4-inch wick (half-an-inch shorter than that on the Rippingilles) and is smaller.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

John

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Yet again, these are stoves that I would barely glace at if I saw them at a car boot sale.
    But after John's immaculate presentation, I now want one! :D

3. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce Australia Subscriber

This makes me need to fettle my Beatrus stove, it needs a wick and fuel cap. By the way I have had this stove since I was a boy, found it in a junk shop at Newport near Sydney for less much less than my pocket money, my have things changed !

Cheers
    Rob

4. Robert Bruce

Robert Bruce Australia Subscriber

Languishing on the shelf just waiting to be fettled. This Beatrus has a plain base not enamelled like most. Cheers Rob
    image.jpg

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

@presscall

I grew up using Fyreside kerosene heater similar to that illustrated in the catalogue above.

Cheers

Tony

6. presscall

@Tony Press
    Fyrside Windcheater warms the World the advert said, so maybe not an inflated claim.

I had a Valor kero heater in my student digs.

John

7. Normo

Normo Australia Subscriber

I also grew up with a Fyrside heater, similar to pictured.

Norm

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

@Normo

I came from Carcoar which is a very cold place! In winter I had two jobs. One was to get up in the morning and make sure the slow combustion stove was ready for the day. The other was to make sure the kero heater had enough fuel at night. I reckon there were many of those Fyreside heaters sold in Australia.

Cheers

Tony

9. Normo

@Tony Press

I was in Adelaide - not particularly cold, but cold enough. I was a small child, I remember my father filling the storage tank, a big glass bottle, from a 4 gallon drum using a small hand pump.

On second look, the safety grate on ours was slightly different, we could put a kettle on ours. I dont remember trimming the wick, but I remember the smell.

Norm

10. presscall

@Normo
    I've been meaning to ask, but what's the building interior view pictured in your avatar?

Your hallway at Normo Towers? :lol:

11. Normo

@presscall

I've been sprung! From memory, this was a grab shot as I went up the stairs behind John Ryland's Library, Manchester UK. Taken on a recent trip there, that we have spoken about before.

I do a lot of photography and like working with patterns, textures etc. I also like B & W (called Monochrome these days).

The Library itself is very Gothic and was used in the Harry Potter films. From memory, behind it you go up stairs next to some very modern buildings.

There, I've fessed up.

Norm

12. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

I have a Rippingiles heater like the one in the picture mate, it's in the shed, if I find it I'll post a picture up if that's OK.
    Si

13. presscall

OK by me @Big Si
    @Normo
    Shame on me. I've passed the library many times on my way somewhere else and have never visited it.

I can see what drew your eye to taking that photo, having a fondness for pattern/texture/B&W. Nice shot.

John

14. Normo

Thanks. N