1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sirram Volcano Kettle

Discussion in 'Marris Ltd - (Sirram)' started by Trojandog, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

This is one of two Sirram Volcano kettles that I own.
    1297279351-IMG_0156_opt.jpg

The set consists of the conical water container with stopper, the kettle with stopper and the firebase. When in use it is lifted on and off the firebase by using both the swinging top handle and the small bottom handle. Using the top handle only results in singed fingers (but you only do it once!).
    1297279439-IMG_0157_opt.jpg

For travel, the conical water container fits up inside the kettle and then the firebase is inverted and inserted into the base of the kettle. The base is held in place by two 'lugs'.

Both the water container and kettle each hold 1.5 litres of water. So carrying a full set gives you 3 litres of water. The set without water weighs 1.11kg or 2lb 7.3oz.

The firebase is made of steel whilst the kettle and water container are aluminium.

The firebase for my other set is partly burnt through but this one is solid.

I use the set quite frequently so to save wear on the firebase I bought a stainless steel pot at a car boot sale (swap meet) for 50 UK pence (about 75c) and cut a section out with a disc cutter.
    1297279454-IMG_0152_opt.jpg

I understand that there was also an optional water carrier that looks very similar to and is the same size as the kettle but has just the top handle and a stopper in the top. Below is the only picture I have ever seen of one.

1297284968-4801148911_2ca0dfb749_o_opt.jpg

I would love to get hold of one of the original copper and brass versions shown below but no luck so far!
    1297285030-th_023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. hikin_jim United States

A very nice chimney (volcano) kettle. That's very clever that they designed a water container that would fit inside the chimney when the kettle wasn't in use. Very clever. Yours looks like quite a veteran!

I wonder if the copper and brass one is a Thermette?

HJ

P.S. I enjoyed your posts on BPL very much. I wonder if you would share that information here?

3. nzmike New Zealand

Nice kettle, but I'm well taken with the 'new' fire box. I'm going to start paying more attention to the mounds of pots n pans at the thrifts. :thumbup:

4. The Bird

The Bird New Zealand Subscriber

Hello Trojandog.

Welcome to our world. Sirram.....one must surely admire their ingenuity. I love the inner water carrier, I may have to make one for my Thermette, seen here in Bryan's Thread .

As you can see, there was quite a healthy discussion regarding the merits, or lack thereof, of these other types of water heaters. as stated before, your Sirrams are magnificent, and are most certainly kindred to these others. Many thanks for sharing them with us.

Best regards,

Mike.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Made an interesting discovery today. The firebases come in two different sizes.

I was giving my volcano kettles a spring clean and was surprised when I could not fit one of the firebases into the kettle.

One firebase is 13.9cm across at the base and the other is 13.2cm:

1335191231-IMG_1841_opt.jpg

On one kettle the inner surface is a continuous smooth taper, but on the other there is a definite 'step' part way up the inner surface:

1335191772-IMG_1843_opt_opt.jpg 1335191790-IMG_1842_opt_opt.jpg

Other than that, the kettles are identical in size and shape.

The 13.2cm firebase will fit into either kettle. The 13.9cm one will only fit into the kettle with the step.

Why or when the change took place is anyone's guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015