1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stesco

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by richmay, Sep 4, 2016.

1. richmay

richmay Subscriber

2. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 United States Subscriber

Nice!!

I have one just like it but it never worked. I could see the wick was carbonized. I could not open the tank to replace the wick, it sits in the garage in some forgotten corner.

3. richmay

richmay Subscriber

@HercL4D2

Hi, I have tried the stove not with a great deal of success, i should imagine it has the same symptoms as yours but not quite as bad, it is a shame that the wicks can not be replaced with out wrecking the stove in the process.

Cheers
    Richard

4. Jeopardy

Jeopardy United Kingdom Subscriber

I don't have the proper priming wick but I find that mine benefits from pricking and being inverted for a few seconds before I try to light it. Especially when it's just been filled. Just gets a little bit more fuel into the coil for ignition with a match.
    The windshield around the coil is essential too. First time I ever tried it I was underwhelmed with the performance but persevere because they are quite powerful for their size.
    Regards
    John

5. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 United States Subscriber

@Jeopardy I tried all the upside down and the pricking. Using my small probe lamp I could see the wick is black and very hard. I imagine some one used a different fuel that Alcohol. I can replace the Wick but that requires cutting a 1 inch hole in the bottom or the side of the tank.

6. Jeopardy

Jeopardy United Kingdom Subscriber

@HercL4D2 these are white gas stoves. But if the wick is charred you are going to have to resort to some form of surgery. Mine is chrome / nickel plated so it's not obvious how the base is soldered on but I think I'd try to remove it in one piece rather than cut a hole.

regards
    John