Svea No.105

Discussion in 'Svea No:105' started by kerophile, Mar 14, 2008.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, this morning I received a partial Svea Svea No.105 stove from France. The No.105 is the silent sister of the much more common Svea No.106. I only had one Svea 105 so was keen to acquire another.
    The Svea 105/106 are classic 1.75 pint, collapsible stoves with a brass tank.

The stove I received had obviously been a display item. It was over-polished, lacked any legs, and the outer silent cap was missing. The filler cap, air release, and pump assembly were stuck solid.

I removed the pump assembly and replaced the pump shaft and leather pump washer....there was a lot of rust in the pump cylinder and the original steel pump rod was badly corroded.

I then removed the NRV and, after cleaning it, renewed the washer with a new nitrile rubber one, and replaced the NRV .

I pickled the burner, cleaned and replaced the jet, and re-assembled the stove with new heat-proof washers and a new outer burner cap

I put a new nitrile rubber washer on the filler cap and freed-up the air-release valve.

I made up a set of legs for the stove.

It was then time to fire up the stove, boil a kettle, and make a cup of tea!

1355000640-DSCN0015_edited.jpg

1355000648-DSCN0016_edited-1.jpg 1355000655-DSCN0017_edited-1.jpg 1355000663-DSCN0018_edited.jpg 1355000672-DSCN0024_edited.jpg

Why is it that some silent burner stoves run with very hot burner caps? There was certainly no under-burn occurring.
    1355000681-DSCN0020_edited-1.jpg

You will see below that someone in the past has brazed the riser tube to the tank, so this stove is no longer fully collapsible.
    1355000690-DSCN0026_edited.jpg

The brazing of the riser tube and the wear on the engraving means that this stove will be a "User" rather than a display item. But at least it has been brought back into useful service!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Prime Us

I love the look of the silent flame. Thanks for the great photos.

Gary

3. exeter_yak

Hi George,
    It's a very nice stove and it looks to be running strong, but maybe a little rich or is it the shutter time of the camera in low light? The kettle looks familiar but maybe it is just the size of it.

I was saddened to see and read about the brazed on riser tube. Most unfortunate, and a true bane of the collector. I hope another 105 in great condition or at least a good tank comes your way in the near future.

All the Best,
    Doug

4. kerophile

Hi Doug, Yes it is a bummer about the braze, but I guess you need to be philosophical about such things. The stove did cost me very little.
    The photos were taken in low light without flash. The exposure time was 0.25 sec. The flame did look much more blue to the naked eye....and yes, I did have it operating at full power.
    I will put a new jet in the burner tomorrow just to see if this makes a leaner mixture and any change to the performance.
    Best Regards,
    George.

5. exeter_yak

Hi George,
    A perfect blue flame can be elusive. I'll bet the tea kettle wasn't worried about it and how was the tea ?

Stove blues:
    I once received a Sv 106 with the potlegs silver brazed to the potleg sockets, and also brazed to the pan ring. I performed the removal of the braze using an oxy acetylene torch and an air jet for compressed air from a small hand controlled nozzle to blow off the unwanted molten material. The stove is still in need of much cleaning and has been on sabbatical in a box, in pieces, ever since.
    Regards,
    Doug

6. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

for those of us who don't do any major re-building of these,just how long did it
    take :?:

7. kerophile

Hi Dave, It arrived in the morning ( 10am) post and I had it operating in the afternoon of the same day, say about 3 hours total work . But I did have the tools and a spares box.
    Best Regards,
    George.

8. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi George

Nice fettle.

The Svea 105/106 stoves have got to be some of the best made and looking stoves of all time.

9. Theresaheadinit

Hi all, I'm a new fettler and have just started on my second stove todate which is also a Svea 105,I'm really impressed with the photos, and information on this page (many thanks). Could I possibly ask a quick 2 questions ?, could you give me some advice on 1) obtaining a spares kit for this stove? and 2) some advice on polishing /cleaning the stove ? (see photo attached)Many kind thanks. Stephen

1345457089-2012-08-06_13.59.56.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  10. woodsy97845

I'm curious what you mean when you state you "pickled the burner"?

Thanks,

Woodsy

11. kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. Theresaheadinit

Dear Kerophile,
    Many, many thanks for your kind advice, I took the stove on holiday with me to fettle whilst hanging round the pool for the last 2 weeks. I can't thank you enough about the pickling solution recipe for future projects (as I had been struggling on with "Bar Keepers Friend whilst away) After some good old fashioned elbow grease I took the stove camping this weekend, see the photo attached. The stove worked just fine. I haven't replaced any parts to date but will send away for them without delay. Once again thank 1346239268-IMG_8294.JPG you

13. n2666s

George; do these have the infamous wire filters at the bottom of the riser tube :? ??;

Lou

14. n2666s

George did you replace the jet? it is a very small jet much smaller than ones on the optimus/primus that I have seen; BUT the jet opening is bigger :? the stove I have been working on has many many miles on it and when lit after pickling the burner in ultrasonic citric acid solution and the torch burn technique burns very rich with yellow flames coming from the jet :? cannot post pix as we had a lightning strike overnight so my computer is fried :cry:

Lou

15. kerophile

Hi Lou, The vast majority of classic brass domestic stoves use a physically small jets like these:
    1401688883-__12.JPG

For use with paraffin (kerosene) these jets have typically 0.32mm diameter apertures for one pint and 1.75/2 pints tank burners, and 0.23mm diameter apertures for half-pint tank stoves.

If the stove is fitted with a regulated burner, physically larger jets are used, to accommodate internal cleaning needles. These are perhaps the ones you are more familiar with, after working on your recent stoves.

It seems likely that your Svea 105 needs a new jet as the aperture could have become enlarged with use/abuse.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.