Swiss Rangers Canteen/Cookset/Stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Joe, May 21, 2007.

1. Joe

A little hacksawing and you have a better cook kit as well as storage.

1249992882-P1010005.jpg

1249992898-P1010003.jpg

1249992914-P1010001.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. oops56

Of all the stoves that i have need fixing someone invent the wheel now i got to go it 8) 8) [ good idea ]

3. rik_uk3

Nice one Joe, well thought out

4. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

Very Good :!:
    the flask with the cork always struck me as a "iffy" bit of gear at best..i have
    an older Swiss canteen and cup and the flask on that is stopped up with a cork.
    i guess their trust level for that old style stopper is better than mine..

5. Joe

The canteen needs to be supported when hacksawing. I used a "u" shaped iron anvil that I have. If you have a power (band) hacksaw it would be even better. The canteen gets a little wimpy after you get about half way round so go slow. Support the billy can from the inside when you drill the holes for the bail wire. Check out all the "stuff" I can carry inside what was the old canteen. Joe

6. rik_uk3

Joe, I like your setup there, I've tried twig burning with that model, plus burning solid fuel hexamine tablets (British army stove fuel), but its not that good at boiling. However, using a small alcohol stove, its worked well?

7. Joe

Thanks for the good words. The Soda Can stove can be TOO MUCH heat. All of the soda can burners are a little different. The ones I am using create a tremendous amount of heat. If you use one watch it carefully the first time. You don't want to melt the outer body of the stove. The tealights work good to hold a simmer after you get a hard boil.

8. Lance

Lance Subscriber

When i frist got my stove like this i used two HEX tabs to boil the water in the cup. Worked a treat and after everything cooled down the black resien left from the HEX tabs would just flake out of the bottom of the "cooker". They did leave a discolouration but it is not enough to even consider washing with a scrub pad.

I do like the idea of using the canteen for storage but what do you now use for holding your tea water?

lance

9. nzmike

Now why didn't I think of that??? :shock: I made a beer can burner for mine, it lives on the cork and fits perfectly into the bottom of the cup, tho you will need to beat out the dent on the bottom of the burner to let the cup/lid settle properly. I always had my doubts about that whole cork thing, a weakish link in an otherwise useful if tippy bit of kit. I picked up a cheapo Chinese stainless steel mug awhile back that came with a lid that fits the big cup perfectly, now I'll measure it for the flask, if it fits that too it's hacksaw time! I was thinking fill it with water to just below where you want to cut, then freeze it......

10. Joe

WOW ! Your ahead of me! Freezing it then cutting and drilling it! Great idea!
    Joe

11. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

When Mad Monte posted here in the past he stated that HEX tabs were the work of the devil. I've never been able to use them after reading that.

12. bark2much

Yup. It could. I made one from a coke can, and it just disintegrated before my eyes. Put too many big holes on it.

13. Lance

Lance Subscriber

It is possible i am not using HEX but rather triox tabs. regardless i find two of them to be just right for heating water for tea or (shudder) instant coffee.

You are suppose to be using them out of doors you know, thus any oder is gone in the time it takes for your tea to steep.

lance

14. hoz

Nice mod. Now I know what to do with my Swiss ranger. Besides boil water. I made a small alky stove from grape juice cans to heat mine. I think it was called the "Ion" stove.

A couple questions...

What is the aluminum foil cup and the curved aluminum strip for?

BTW, I think with some JB Weld and a tin can lid you could make an alky stove out of the cut off top

15. hoz

As long as the ice doesn't expand and cause the aluminum bottle to distort.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  16. lockoutb

If you don't want to cut your Swiss kit, but would like to upgrade it to 21st century tech, you can try a Sigg bottle.
    Apart from being "iffy", The corked bottle they supplied looked, in my opinion, a little goofy.
    Sigg made aluminum water bottles years and years before aluminum water bottles were cool. The one liter size fits into the Swiss stove setup like it was made for it, and gives the setup a kind of snazzy look as well.
    I emailed Sigg a while back, and asked if their bottle could be used as a boiling vessel for my Swiss stove. (I was mainly worried about the possible presence of interior coatings in the bottle.)
    The Sigg rep’s response was a carefully worded reply to the effect that, “Sigg bottles weren’t designed for the purpose, so don’t try it and come back later with warrantee issues if you damage the thing, but many reports from Sigg users suggest that the bottles have been employed in this fashion with no bad effects.”
    He didn't mention, but it goes without saying, that you don't want to screw the lid on while you're boiling of course.

1230232413-DSC01333__2_.JPG

1230232473-DSC01335__2_.JPG

Attached Files:

17. Username75

This is a poor mans Kelly Kettle that boils faster than the Kelly.
    it burns twigs/Dried grass/Triox/hexi/ even a spoonfull of sterno sloshed in the bottom
    I founs a mina alcohol stove on Ebay called the "Gram weenie" that fit without enlarging the bottom slot.
    After a 4 month hike down the andies to the s. tip of Chile it worked for me flawlessly.
    i also carried one of my trusty jiffy heat stoves
    but when I ran out of alcohol i could always find something to burn in the Volcano "Ranger" set
    a little crushed Ramen some sausage links, and a couple of tea bags and I was good for another 15KM
    I even used a tea lite candle to heat tea water &
    morning coffee.

18. msaletta

Hey, great mod. I don't mind saying that I've copied you. In the set up here, I put the trangia stove in the Molle bag, but I've since got a flat top bottle that lets me keep it in the stove, hence more room in the Molle sack. I take the sack as my minimum hiking carry. Also, it fits on my bike for bike trips... Thanks heaps. My next trick is going to see if making a tea-candle size "buddy burner" will boil water.... |imgRemoved|

|imgRemoved|

19. msaletta

Some photos- Normally I burn wood in the stove, as intended really but I carry the trangia as a back up. Some times lighting a fire isn't an option- we have fire ban days here in Australia, and nobody will notice a trangia (alcohol stove), but wood smoke is not going to go over well with fellow campers...

1371358417-rsz_1f7b8b756b3812c56734b5ba635205e42.jpg

1371358429-rsz_d798473991fcdb5d0111b48fa646324c.jpg

1371358439-rsz_imag2002.jpg

20. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Is this the longest-ever running thread on CCS? Six years and counting! :D/