1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dreaded MSR WhisperLite Internationale

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by idahostoveguy, Mar 7, 2010.

1. RonPH

I hope he did not lose his toes. Don't know why they had to travel in the winter. Is it a leisure travel or an endurance travel. I won't do anything like that if it would mean my health and losing body parts.

Ron

2. GoldDiver

Nice MSR you've got there. I've always loved them for their aromatic smell as opposed to the gasoline smell that would soak through my backpack when the tank leaked (which happened on a regular basis every time I'd gain a couple thousand feet on a hike...)

After one time having my entire backpack (as well as food) take on the smell of a gas station, I switched out the jet for my MSR for a kerosene one and started running the scented lamp oil through it. I never had the smell problem again, as cinnamon or lavender smells much better than a gas station.

Of course, I did have to make adjustments in the priming and lighting, but soon found out that a q-tip soaked in kero worked great as a pre-heater for the vaporizer. When it was burning nicely, just use the remaining q-tip for a fire lighter...

Another thing I liked about them was their tripod leg assembly. Always seemed to make it easier to set up on rough surfaces.

3. steve42

Inherited an old MSR stove, looks just like this one, gray & black pump included. Thanks for the detailed pics, helped in identification.

This one has not been used in 15-20 years. My brother gave-up on fixing it. I know he didn't like it but have no clue what's wrong with it or if it's even worth fixing.

Considering whether to send it to MSR for an overhaul. I don't have the fuel tank & have not tried to use it, kind of afraid to considering it's "dreaded" title.

4. ddry61 United States

What did you use to clean the stove with? I just bought one today at a yard sale for 5 dollars, and it is covered in soot. I want to take it down like you did and clean it up. Do you have any tips for me?

Regards,

ddry61

5. theyellowdog New Zealand

" Do you have any tips for me?" Yep , don't waste your time cleaning it, these soot up quickly, especially when you are new to using them.

6. yonadav

yonadav Israel Subscriber

I cleaned my whisperlite by taking it apart and giving it a 20 minutes soak in citric acid, then a good scrub with a toothbrush and dish detergent. Works like magic.

Remember to install the legs in the right order. Each one is different.

Yonadav

7. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

I think the best way to avoid soot is to pre-heat with alcohol instead of (white) gas. All one needs to carry extra is a small plastic bottle.

Best regards,

Wim

8. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

The legs have an order? :) I learned this years ago AFTER I had taken it all apart. Just needed an adjustment here and there after though. :(
    Duane

9. steve42

Talked to MSR & they will do a "complete overhaul" on my Whisperlight International for $25 & will trade out my gray/black pump for current model pump for an additional $10.00. I was going to send it off but am reading many poor reviews of current red/black pump. Perhaps I should overhaul the stove & pump myself. Is this advisable for a newbe on such an old(pre-shaker)stove.

10. theyellowdog New Zealand

Hi Steve, It is not the new pump you are reading about in the reviews, it is the one prior to the latest model. The previous pump was terrible, the new one is a good pump,

Good pump
    1344906497-th.jpg

Bad pump
    1344906551-th-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  11. steve42

That's a critical bit of info! Thank you yellowdog.

May be worth sending it off for overhaul & upgrade after all.

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Paul wrote:

"08-03-10 12:35 AM - Post#147442
    ...oh... where's Doc?!
    Nice review. A couple of years ago i picked up an earlier pre-shakerjet model that was i believe the true focus of Doc's rancor. They've increased the diameter of the generator since then.

I fixed it up and passed it on... Nova for me.
    All the Best!

-Paul"

Howdy, All,

Paul smacked the nail right on the head, Folks. I "hate" the original WPLI, as it failed on us, priming with and burning kerosene, because MSR told me it would work like a champ. Unfortunately, the generator loop was just too small, and the stove gave up the ghost in less than 200 miles! I've bad-mouthed it ever since, mainly because I was taking stellar care of it, and doing maintenance way above and beyond what should be needed for such a stove, and it STILL failed!

I have also bought and used the replacement WPLI, which sports a larger generator, as has been noted, and a better fuel line, with braided brass cover, and found that it works MUCH better! As has been stated in this report, it still doesn't simmer, and therefore it's only a "One Note Johnny" of a stove, but it certainly does not fail like it's predecessor did.

Now owning the WPL Universal, and am happy to report that it beats the Internationale, hands down, in every category that is important to me! So, I'll very probably not use the WPLI again, in the field, but would definitely recommend it to those that like to use kero, but don't like to use a roarer burner stove, IF they have no need to buy the more expensive Universal, which is really a better stove, IMHO.

So:

Original WPLI = NO!!

Replacement WPLI = YES!!

New WPL Universal = NOT ONLY YES, BUT HELL, YES!! ;) 8) :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D/ :D/ :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

13. klr650 Mexico

Sam, I too have the same stove and use it often - mostly fueled with kerosene. I prefer to pre-heat the stove using alcohol. The trick I have found to cleaning the soot off the stove is to do it while the stove is still very hot like right after you shut it off. I carry a small brass brush that looks like a large tooth brush for this purpose. The brass wire is quite fine but it peels the soot off the stove like taking the skin off an onion and a quick wipe with a cotton rag afterwards is all that is needed. If you don't have a brass brush just use that same cotton cloth but make sure the stove is still really hot! To the point where it will burn the rag if left in contact with the stove. Do not use synthetics or nylon rags for this......they melt to the stove!!! Good Luck

14. Apis

Put me in the "love" camp. I ran mine a lot. It was a replacement of my Optimus 199 for long distance backpacking. Higher fuel cap., lighter weight, newer.

Then after a paltry 20 yrs one of the fuel loops cracked.

I threw it out and moved on to DIY alcohol and Trangia stoves.

I still have the 199. It's getting an overhaul for winter use, or if nothing else just for S&G.

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hi, Apis,

You mentioned "one of the fuel loops". The WPLI only has one fuel loop, so I'm not sure what you mean with your comment. MSR admitted to me that the original WPLI was never meant to run on kerosene as a steady diet, and that this fuel was only to be used in an emergency. We tried using ours, primed with kerosene, which MSR recommended back then, on our PCT hike, and it died in a very short time, despite meticulous maintenance. We were using ours three times each day, and it just could not stand up to that sort of heavy use, especially when priming with kerosene. Those are the facts, as we experienced them. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. butthead

butthead United States Subscriber

Have a bit to add. Far as simmering, ever try the K jet with Coleman fuel? Adds some boil time (gas jet, 3min 20sec, K jet 4min 20sec, quart of water full rolling boil), but allows much lower flame adjustment.
    As for MSR fuel block stampings,
    [​IMG] Whisperlite 600 marked MSR076, have the receipt dated Sept. 12 1996.
    [​IMG]Simmerlite, marked 0803, unknown purchase date.
    [​IMG] Dragonfly, marked MSR 0200, I purchased May 2000.