1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Governor Paraffin Stove

Discussion in 'John Shaw & Sons (JS&S)' started by Trojandog, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

1371930752-Gov1_opt.jpg

This is usually referred to as the paraffin version of The Lamb petrol stove. However, Lamb is not mentioned on the stove. The stove is marked "Governor Paraffin Stove", as is the packaging and case for Ross's stove ( Link ). Although it is the same size and shape as The Lamb, I believe that we are incorrect in using Lamb in the name of this stove:

1371930827-Gov2_opt.jpg

The stove came from the estate of a deceased ex-French Ambassador and Chevalier who lived near Southampton.

Unfortunately the case has been painted at some time in the distant past so there is no decoration or labels. The stove is complete except for the travel cap. The cap from a Lamb fits, so I can use one of those when I take it out on walks. BTW, if anyone picks one of these up without it's case, it does not fit in a British Army No7 case.

1371931205-Gov3_opt.jpg

Overall the stove is in very good condition with no damage or dents. I made a new viton seal for the filler cap and had to make a new tiny 11mm pump leather. I don't have a small enough removal tool for the NRV, but luckily it is working fine. In fact, the stove happily self pressurises with no need to pump. The pump next to an AA battery gives an idea of it's size:

1371931322-Gov4_opt.jpg

The top of the tank is marked "Governor Paraffin Stove" and there is the Governor logo on the side. There are no other marks. The stove would have been lacquered as there are remains on the base:

1371931345-Gov5_opt.jpg

1371931401-Gov6_opt.jpg

Firing the stove for the first time, I had a mass of yellow flame which did not settle down after multiple pre-heats:

1371931556-Gov7_opt.jpg

On checking the jet I found the hole was very oversize. I checked my box of odd jets and nothing matched. I wondered if I could peen the jet a little and then remembered a box of old blow lamps (torches) I picked up at a car boot sale. I don't collect blow lamps but they are often made by stove manufacturers such as Primus, Optimus, Monitor etc, and can be a useful source of cheap spare parts for stoves. The jet on a Radius 52 looked similar so I swopped it into the stove and it was a perfect fit. Unfortunately, it too was oversized ](*,) . A little squeezing in the vice and it was better though the hole was now a slight oval but the flame, although not perfect, was much better. It'll do until I can acquire a decent jet:

1371931573-Gov8_opt__1_.jpg

Size comparison with a 2 pint Valor 55:

1371931591-Gov9_opt.jpg

The stove can be seen in an October 1932 edition of "The Hiker & Camper" (courtesy of 'Bom Bom Bom Bom'). Again, the stove is referred to as "The Governor", no mention of Lamb:

1348602734-The_Govenor_opt.jpg

I'm looking forward to taking it out and using it 'in the field' for probably the first time in many years.

Regards,
    Terry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Extraordinary provenance concerning the French Ambassador, Terry. (That's 'Trojandog' Terry and not that I believe the French Ambassador was called Terry)

Don't suppose it would be of much use rustling up brews at one of his well-attended 'do's' though.

Good point you make about the name 'Lamb' not having been applied to the paraffin stove.

What you say about the stove self-pressurising is consistent with the one I have, which I think is responsible for overfuelling, even when the jet size is theoretically 'ideal' and not worn. I was able to construct a jet ( my Governor paraffin stove ) so chose a jet orifice that surely isn't oversize. It fuels nicely on start-up but overfuels when the self-pressurising kicks in within a minute or two.

I suspect that the erratic fuelling characteristics hit sales, or at least influenced the number of these stoves that found their way onto the scrap heap.

The Lamb is the sweeter of the two in terms of user qualities.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Subscriber

Apparently he used it during receptions to flambe crepes suzette at the table but it melted the Ferrero Rochers and was consigned to 'Le Shed'

...and his name was Thierry, Terry. :^o

4. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Terry what a brilliant score, it is not often we see a baby paraffin Lamb stove.
    It just goes to show how small the lamb is, by the pump rod assembly up against a AAA battery.
    Being such a small stove, with a smaller burner basket compared to a 96 type, the jet orifice would be smaller than the standard 0.23 of a 96 type stove with lipstick burner, and would imagine very hard to find a replacement.
    I have a mini Bladon petrol blowlamp I restored while back, and the jet orifice on that was smaller than any pricker I had, I would imagine the orifice on the lamb would be similar