1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Infamous Six Dollar Stove

Discussion in 'China' started by Primus 96, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Primus 96 United Kingdom

How can you not be tempted at that price? I bought one for around £4.96 and I have seen one as cheap as £4.00. I have seen them with the Vango brand at twice the price in outdoor shops.

1409907161-100_0904.jpg
    It came in the usual padded bag, completely anonymous.

1409907593-100_0920.jpg
    Very low flame.

1409907880-100_0919.jpg
    Full throttle.

I have my doubts about the longevity of those pot supports. I expect the rivets to loosen, needing attention from a nail & hammer to tighten them.

To get the best from this stove you will need a windscreen of some kind. The flame shots were made inside a garage in still air. I may post a shot done in the dark if anyone is that bothered. I was just testing the stove with a A4 butane can, but this tiddler is made for a 100g canister. On a 500 it looks somewhat ridiculous & that is the only other regular gas can I have at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

I bought one of those a couple of years ago. About $10 US including shipping. I found it was a well behaved little tart but I agree, the build quality is what you would expect for the price. Decent little back up stove, though.

3. Nordicthug United States

Mountlake Terrace, in the Puget Sound basin.
    I caught a special on e-bay, USD $5.95 with free shipping. I bought ten of 'em to put in the Emergency boxes I give away. A stove, fuel canister, transistor radio, flashlight, spare radio and flashlight batteries, candles and holder, box of matches and a list of things that would be handy in the car if one got stopped on the highway for whatever reason. Always assuming the worst.

Anyway I still have three. Pretty good little stoves for the price.

Gerry

4. Primus 96 United Kingdom

Nordicthug: You got a good deal. I paid the equivalent of $6.53. I took it out with me yesterday in case my Coleman 502 ran dry. I have no idea of gas consumption for this little beast. Someone else will have an idea.

5. 111T

111T United States Subscriber

I've been tempted... Frankly I was excited when Walmart started carrying the primus classic trail for $20... This seems a bit too good to be true. I'm sure I'll pick a few up eventually. ;)