1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lakeside No. 2-Montgomery Wards

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by Chef BC, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Chef BC United States

I had deliberately resolved to to have no association with suitcase stoves long ago for the sole purpose I mistakenky volunteered to clean one up and get it running for a friend once, that was the last time. :x I still shun Coleman's but mid autum 2014, managed to pick up an Optimus 22B and yesterday; my wife and I went to Puyallup Washington where there was an antique sale going on. I went in nervous at how many of the dreaded green suitcases I would have to beat away with a hayfork. Out of the whole complex there was only one stove worth consideration which as I look back, the price was amazingly good. :-#
    The Montgomery (Monkey) (Thanks Doc ;) ) Wards Lakeside No.2. It was in amazing condition and appears to be someones restoration and fettling project.

1422842246-IMG_0051_opt.jpg
    Does not appear to have seen many fishing trips :cry:

1422842299-IMG_0053_opt.jpg
    I am guessing this stove is from the late 1920s :?:

1422842410-IMG_0055_opt.jpg
    Just a small stray gas escape :oops:

1422842469-IMG_0054_opt.jpg
    The second burner :content:

1422842666-IMG_0060_opt_opt.jpg
    The double tea test :D

Thanks to all who have written in and posted photos of their similar stoves. This was one that really had my interest piqued and wanted to get this one going. My wife and I are discussing a camping trip together for the first time in ....years! :doh:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Wow! Superb Monkey Wards you've found there, Harold!

I can't believe how nice it is. Awesome that you got it.

sam

3. snwcmpr United States

Very nice. Great find, and a fine stove.
    You probably already know that the sideways metal bar/pin across the burner is to allow the liquid fuel to dribble into the priming dish before pre-heating when lifted up.
    When my cousin briefly lived in the Seattle area he thought Puyallup was pronounced Pull Ya'all Up. I had to correct him.

Ken in NC

4. Chef BC United States

Tthank you gentlemen for your kind comments and support! ;)
    If anyone knows the nature of the second lower tin tray of sorts below the preheater bowl I would fancy an explanation. I want to be sure to place the priming spirits in the right place, The manifold would not release fuel when the priming wire was pulled upward :? Any assistance is appreciated. :content:

5. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

I've noticed the second lower tray on a couple of my oldies. I have yet to figure out what it could be for, maybe for spillage out of the first priming bowl? Heat shield?

6. xtrm84 United States

I found a Prentiss Wabers Model 8 with the same preheat cup system much like this Lakeside. Ive never seen something like this and I cant find a video of how to light it. There are 2 videos online that show them running already but that doesnt help. If anyone can send photos on the process or explain how I light this, that would be great! Once I get this restored and running, I'll post my project.

Thanks in advance!!

7. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber