1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THERMIDOR 1/2 PINT PICNIC STOVE

Discussion in 'Samuel Heath & Sons' started by kaw550red, Dec 13, 2009.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red United Kingdom Subscriber

This stove appears to be a combination of other makes of 1/2 pint stoves

The tank and feet are a copy of the Primus 96 made between 1921 and 1925. The reserve lid is similar to the Primus 96 reserve lid used up until about 1935. The burner head appears to be a copy of an Optimus 96 burner head. After that Thermidor go their own way. The vapourising tube is a two piece fitting so the tube can be replaced if the jet gets enlarged. In common with other British makes the threads on the centre connection, gland nut and reserve lid are UNC instead of the Whitworth threads used by the Swedish makers. Swedish burner fittings will not fit this tank but the burner fittings off this tank will fit Swedish half pint stoves. The burner plate is unique to Thermidor and RM stoves. The tank lid on this and other Thermidor stoves was unique to the Thermidor stoves until close to the end of stove production when it can appear on RM, Thermidor and Veritas stoves. The bottom of the legs are not the usual D. They have two parallel sides. This shows on the photo of the packed stove. This leg arrangement was also used on RM half pint stoves.

Samuel Heath & Sons bought RM in 1950 but the similarity in stoves appears to predate the purchase.

The unique fittings are shown on one photo

The instructions have no brand name on them and were used by Thermidor and RM. The stove illustrated in the instructions does not coincide with the model made by either company but is a mixture of the two stoves

The tin was also used for the RM half pint stove but that tin was blue but also had a stenciled top

I suspect that the model probably started around 1930 but there is no indication of when this stove was made

1261140708-Thermidor_ass_opt.jpg

1261140721-Thermidor_features_opt.jpg 1261140734-Thermidor_flame_opt.jpg 1261140749-Thermidor_pack_opt.jpg 1261140765-Thermidor_tin_opt.jpg

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. RonPH

Hi Bryan, I have the exact same stove posted some time early this year. So you guestimate this to be produced in the 30's? Nice!

Ron

3. kaw550red

kaw550red United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Ron

I think that it was designed at some time close to 1930 but the model appears to have remained unchanged for a long time so there is no way of knowing when any example was made.

I should have warned members that the burner plate is extremely brittle. I dropped one from waist height onto a concrete floor and a lug snapped off

Regards Bryan

4. RonPH

Bryan, thanks for the heads up on the burner plate and will be careful not to drop it. As you mentioned that this plates are unique to the burner, it would be hard to find a replacement unless you could somehow make your own out of brass. Likewise the riser or tube would be different.

Ron