"TOURIST" Albert Lea Foundry

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas machine' started by scouterjan, Sep 13, 2016.

1. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

Albert Lea became AGM. This was passed on to be by a good friend this past weekend, took a little effort but it made nice blue flames. As far as I can tell this looks like it might be the 2nd one found

new 500 from Stan,. PNW fall gathering 2016 039.JPG

new 500 from Stan,. PNW fall gathering 2016 045.JPG

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Very fine. More details of the innards would be great when you're done with brewing up. Don't blame you, it deserves a workout after being dormant all that time.

John

3. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

2nd one found...now that is a rare stove. I'll take it for the $7.00 price you've stuck on it. :lol:

Ben

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Yes it certainly is a rare stove. I can not find any information on the stoves produced by Hans Hanson's Albert Lea Foundry before the birth of the American Gas Machine company.

5. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

some more pictures of the inards. The other model that I know about was also found in Wa State and is identicle. Some personal observations. No pre heat cup that seems odd of a stove of this age, but perhaps it didn't light very good so next version a pre heat cup was added * My Wizard stove of the same time period also doesn't have a pre heat cup* also these burner caps look similar to way later models of AGM's.There is an asbestos gasket under the burner cap

new 500 from Stan,. PNW fall gathering 2016 038.JPG

the aux burner wing nut is cast and the end of the pump is threaded and screws into the air valve piece of the filler cap

new 500 from Stan,. PNW fall gathering 2016 042.JPG

to restore or not to restore, that is the question
    Jan

6. presscall

Thanks Jan for the pics and information.

The paint loss and occasional patch of surface rust tip the balance justify a strip and repaint someday I'd say, but it's a fine stove just to use as is meanwhile.

John

7. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

new 500 from Stan,. PNW fall gathering 2016 044.JPG thanks John, my main concern right now it to getting it running as good as I can
    Jan

8. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

You got it going. NICE!

Ben

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Jan @scouterjan ,

WOW!! What a unique, and apparently very rare stove!! Well done in having it passed on to you, my friend!! One thing that I dearly LOVE about the older stove, is that they most often still work like a champ, with only a bit of care!!! Hearty congratulations on getting this old stove, and then helping it to do what it was designed to do!!! Thanks, also, for sharing your lovely find, right here!! Have fun, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

10. scouterjan

scouterjan Subscriber

thanks Mark
    Jan

11. Doc Mark

@scouterjan,

Jan, coming home from grabbing a burger, after church today, SB and I passed a local antique store, with some old stoves outside. So, what the heck, we pulled in to see what they had.

In side a found a great old Tourist Camp Cook, manufactured by Albert Lea Foundry, Co., Patents Pending, Albert Lea, Minn!

I took photos and could hardly wait to get back home, and see how old this Old Timer is! I guessed it came from the early 1920's, or so. It's similar to the Tourist that you, and @Deider , have, but with a few differences. Note where the regulating wheel, and generator are, compared to your's and Deider's., and the dimple under the main (Left) burner, for priming the generator (I assume). In any case, here is what I found:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

So, there you have it. I am guessing it's at least very early 1920's, or 1918/1919, era! It appears that the cleaning needle is missing, or broken, but I won't know until later. I look forward to learning more about this stove, and working on it, when time permits.

I have another stove that needs gathering, as it's been held by a good CCS Mate, and I hope to make arrangements for that, soon! In closing, I am eager to see how our stoves fall in the line of AGM, early Albert Lea stoves!!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. Doc Mark

@scouterjan,

Can you please show more detail in the legs, and their proper attachment to the stove? Thanks, much, and God Bless!

Doc

13. Timothy McCollum United States

Hey just found this post on these stoves, I have a very similar stove and was hoping to find more info on it. Found this at a swap meet paid 10 dollars for it. It says N0.33 Tourist Camp Stove Albert Lea Foundry Co. Patents pending Albert lea Minn.

Attached Files:

14. StanDahl

@jan - do you have any documentation that shows that Albert Lea Foundry became AGM? I've tried to find a connection but can't. I also have one of these stoves, (and a Tourist #33), but yours is far nicer.
    AGM Tourist Stove sm.jpg

15. StanDahl

I answered my own question and posted it on the ALF #33 stove entry and I'll repost it here: "The Albert Lea Foundry was either purchased by a former AGM manager named F.A. Trow in 1921 or he just went to work for the stove division of ALF as a manager, eventually becoming president - depending on the source. He grew the foundering foundry into a successful business which became Queen Stove Works with ALF becoming a division of Queen. QSW bought AGM in 1950. So, the Albert Lea Foundry was not connected with AGM in the 20's and these ALF stoves really don't belong in the AGM category here...but that's just me."

16. presscall

Faville Anthony Trow.

First page of 1924 patent.

5128FF79-8275-4139-AF94-9BEBC2772C9A.jpeg

The drawings.

06AD528E-EF46-47AE-9E37-4052DE189C5D.jpeg 11D7EE22-79AD-4D90-A41E-7A6EE0838C06.jpeg 6EB2E55C-FC72-4B1B-BF9B-FCA4B3F7D064.jpeg

69754B81-BACA-4FC7-91FF-63F0BF92EB4F.jpeg

A number of earlier stove-related patents exist for AGM (1911 the earliest I could find) yet the above patent is the earliest attributed to F.A. Trow. I suggest this supports the assertion that in stove product terms at least, AGM came first, then Albert Lea Foundry, evidently inspired by the arrival of F.A. Trow.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023