Trangia gas stoves made in Sweden or China?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by olive, Jan 13, 2017.

1. olive

Does anyone know if the Trangia isobutane canister stove and the petro X2 stove that fits into the windshield are made in Sweden or is it another Chinese special ? Trangia's website doesn't seem to mention it in my search. Thanks again!

2. Hazet

The box for my gas burner #742527 says "Made in Sweden" on it. The fuel hose is marked Primus on the valve. The top of the burner is stamped Trangia. This could very well be a modified Primus burner. It looks similar to an Easy Fuel Primus stove with some alteration to the preheater loop. I have no china rip off stove to compare it to.

The X2 is a "dumbed down" Primus Multifuel stove burner, the pump is a Primus ergo pump, the special cup is stamped by Trangia, so I would presume that it's all made in Sweden.

You can always contact Trangia through their website. They always seem to be very helpful and pretty quick to respond to email inquiries.

3. tofta

tofta Subscriber

@olive
    I think the answer is a bit complicated, and possibly neither Sweden nor China.

The Trangia canister- and multi fuel burners have been made by Primus and/or Optimus. None of those are totally made in Sweden anymore. Primus is made in Estonia (with I guess parts sourced where they are the cheapest), and Optimus have not said anything about this for a long time so I guess not Sweden.

As with most things these days the origin can be a bit uncertain. Today I think Trangia and Primus are quite a bit better quality wise compared to Optimus/Katadyn.

All the best, e

4. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

I believe Optimus have had a purpose built factory in Rumania for the last few years.