TT-Spisen, Örebro

Discussion in 'Other brands' started by Christer Carlsson, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Sweden Moderator SotM Winner

A petrol stove marked "TT-Spisen", and also with the name of the town Örebro along with the mandatory word 'Patent' tossed in.
    I don't think it's actually made in Sweden.
    My guess is that it's a rebranded stove, or possibly a thing put together here by an importer or retailer with parts from elsewhere.
    And my guess of 'elsewhere' is France, but I would love to hear other opinions!

The brown enamel is very French to me, and the burner look very much like the 'Ultra-Succés' Derek posted here.
    Actually the flame spreader is an exact match!

1393017056-framsida.jpg

1393017056-framsida.jpg 1393017062-baksida.jpg 1393017070-br__nnare.jpg 1393017076-tt.jpg 1393017086-IMG_7829.jpg 1393017093-IMG_7835.jpg 1393017099-IMG_7848.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Christer, whatever its origins, it is a very nice stove.
    I also love the 'French-type' enamel.

The fuel tank looks huge - is it paraffin?

Did you have to do much fettling?
    It certainly seems to burn well with perfect blue flames.

3. Christer Carlsson

Yes Trevor, it's a nice stove, and it burns well. Unfortunately it only had one flamespreader, but I have tried it on both burners.

It's a petrol stove, and the tank is pretty big, but I think you are tricked by the length of it. It has a pretty small diameter - not even 8 cm.
    Not much fettling done. Mainly removed the vapourisers and cleaned them.
    A Coleman lamp pump worked perfect to pressurize it.

4. gunsoo

Hi Christer!!

wow~ look like beautiful gas flame style.

another flame pattern.

thanks sharing Christer!!

Gunsoo

5. optipri

Here is mine, exactly the same as Christers. But I am a bit doubtful about the origin.
    It looks a bit French, because of the enamel and the tiny pipes, but I believe it is a Swedish model.
    My guess is that it was invented in Örebro but after a short while bought by Sievert and renamed to Sobra.
    Sievert was a bigger company and had a much larger market.
    Compare the burners with this one. It might burn well with gasoline but I think it was designed to use white spirit.
    The instruction on the tin for priming alcohol tells that the asbestos wick should be soaked to provide the necessary heat.
    Would be very interesting to learn more about this brand.

Bo

CIMG8999.JPG CIMG9001.JPG CIMG8996.JPG CIMG8998.JPG CIMG8997.JPG CIMG9002.JPG

CIMG9003.JPG CIMG9004.JPG

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  6. optipri

I believe I have to revise my opinion. You are right Christer, this is a gas burning stove. Not to be compared to the Svea Sobra. But definitely with this Elit stove. Exactly the same burner arrangement. So question is still, who invented it and is it a Swedish patent?

7. Christer Carlsson

Ah, yes! That Elite has what appear to be the same burner arrengement. Well spotted.
    I'm glad you agree that it's a petrol burner. I couldn't really see that simple vapouriser working with white spirit.
    I agree! It would be nice to know more about these.

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Christer Carlsson

I'm having a "lost in translation" moment here.

What is it that you refer to as:

1. Petrol (as in "petrol burner"); and

2. White spirit.

I will check Doro Papo's site, but I also want to check with you.

(Petrol in Australia is gasoline; and white spirit is a synthetic turpentine used as dry cleaning fluid - no good for stoves).

Cheers

Tony

PS. Doron Papo's Swedish names don't help in this case; but I'm assuming "petrol" is kerosene/paraffin as used elsewhere in Europe.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  9. Christer Carlsson

Hi Tony.

You didn't loose anything in translation. You seem to have got both right before you for some reason decided to complicate things with Doron's conversion table...;)

Those are not Swedish names, so I don't understand why you should consult the "word converting table".
    We're on an English speaking forum, so I try to use English. Mainly the UK version, but the American dominance in films (movies...) and TV will of course influence severely.
    If I had used Swedish, it would have said bensin (petrol) and lacknafta (white spirit).
    (Paraffin/kerosene would have been fotogen, but has nothing to do with the stoves in this topic.)

Petrol is UK English for what I think you call gasoline downunder, and of course what I refer to here.
    White Spirit is indeed a synthetic turpentine. Also called petroleum spirit, and perhaps mineral spirits in USA?

White spirit is normally not used in stoves, as you say, but the reference here is to the Sobra stove Bo compared my burners to in his post. That one was a special stove made to use Pyrolene or Varnolene, which are similar products to white spirit.

10. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Christer Carlsson

Thanks! I'm clear now.

We use "petrol" for gasoline down under.

Cheers

Tony

11. Christer Carlsson

Ah, you do say petrol for, well... petrol. Thanks.
    It was probably paraffin I had in mind, because I know you use the word kerosene there.

12. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

We use "petrol" on CCS because US "gas" causes only confusion...

13. Christer Carlsson

Indeed. To only say gas might be confusing, and mean a couple of things.
    But the full word gasoline is a good word. It can hardly be mistaken for anything else, can it?
    It's probably even better than the word petrol on an international forum like this since petrol actually is closer to what many languages use for paraffin/kerosene.