1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turm Sport

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Peterpaddler, Apr 20, 2017 at 6:56 PM.

1. Peterpaddler United Kingdom

Has anyone got any thoughts on the Turm Sport cooker? It is a meths burner but not sure what to do with it. Already got gas and an Optimus 111.

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Lots to look at and read here.

3. nmp

nmp United Kingdom Subscriber

Great stove! the simplicity of it rather hides its power it makes hardly any noise or fuss but is hot and therefore faster than some smaller paraffin pressure stoves, do not under estimate it! I presume the output is due to alcohol burning at a higher temp than paraffin.
    Enjoy
    Nick

4. Peterpaddler United Kingdom

The one I have is not running too well. I was trying to see how long it would take to boil a litre of water and gave up!

I just pulled out the wick. Been there since the mid 70s. Can they be replaced? Meths is also quite old. I'm not sure if it goes off over time?

I would love to get it working properly again.

5. janders

janders Norway Subscriber

6. nmp

nmp United Kingdom Subscriber

I make new wicks from a strand of floor mop head and twisted wire.
    Getting the old wick out can be a test of patience involving various hooked bits of wire forceps etc etc.
    Cheers Nick

7. Peterpaddler United Kingdom

Thanks for the heads up on the asbestos. I have washed it so it's wet at the moment - no dust.

I will see how it goes. I got a small pair of pliers in to the end and the wick came out quite easily. I was going to get new fuel tomorrow. Local camping shop has bio-ethanol which I understand is a good alternative to meths. I don't think it has the pyridine additive that smells (and tastes apparently) so bad.