1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twigg Buflam Stove

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by teckguy_58, Dec 25, 2016.

1. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Hi,

I acquire this Buflam several weeks ago. To be truthful I hadn't heard of one of these stove before. It has a nice patina and seemed to be in good shape except it is missing it's original inner and outer caps. The stove still has it's original trivet. The jet was totally plugged so I replaced it with a new jet.
    DSC05188.JPG DSC05245.JPG DSC05244.JPG DSC05251.JPG DSC05250.JPG DSC05249.JPG

I did find an Optimus inner and outer cap but the outer cap didn't fit very well so I did find another outer cap which does fit quite well. It doesn't look like much but it does work.
    DSC05246.JPG DSC05214.JPG

Next I found the pump leather cup to be as hard as a rock so I replaced it. Then I found the NRV was inoperable so rebuilt it and it still wouldn't work, so I replaced it with another NRV which works great. I did discover the spring on the original NRV was a bit too tight so I'm thinking if I remove a couple of coils it will work fine. But this will be for a later time.
    Here are some pictures of the stove up and running.
    DSC05252.JPG DSC05204.JPG DSC05205.JPG DSC05232.JPG DSC05235.JPG DSC05237.JPG DSC05239.JPG

It looks like someone was trying to preheat with kerosene/paraffin. The tubes are pretty black.
    DSC05194.JPG

I boiled several liters of water and then let the stove run for about 30 minutes and during that time is when I put her through the paces from simmer to high. When I first fired the stove there was a bit of yellow in the flames but as time went by the yellow disappeared leaving a pretty blue flame.
    This stove does get quite warm to the touch.
    This stove will be featured in the Oregon stove gathering next August along with many others plus lanterns.

Cheers,
    Norman

2. kerry460

kerry460 Australia Subscriber

looks good mate .
    and a nice flame

kerry

3. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Buflam are excellent stoves. I have a nickel-plated 2-pint collapsible Buflam silent I bought from Ross around 15 years ago that has given great service as an indoor stove, especially paired with a Hipo 2-pint regulated silent.

4. igh371

igh371 United Kingdom Subscriber

Sound example and working very nicely:thumbup: It will date from the 1st half of the 1950s as the manufacturers became insolvent in 1956/7 and went out of business leading to a landmark legal case over the ownership of an undelivered order which is still quoted in British commercial trade law even today! (Carlos Federspiel & Co. S.A. v. Charles Twigg & Co. Ltd [1957]).

5. teckguy_58

Hi Ed,

A consolable Buflam would be a very nice find for sure.
    Thank you for your comments.

Cheers,
    Norman

6. teckguy_58

@igh371

Thank you for dating my stove and for the very interesting history of the company because it is always nice to know at least some of the history of these stoves.
    Thank you for you kind comments.

Cheers,
    Norman