1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Veritas Compact Stove #9688.

Discussion in 'Falk, Stadelmann & Co Ltd' started by Doc Mark, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Many years ago, in a small antique stove in Prescott, Arizona, I chanced upon a nice, old British one-pint paraffin stove. Complete with it's original tin, wrench, spirit tin, pricker, windscreen, and instructions, I got a nice little Veritas "British Made" stove for the grand price of $28. The instructions actually call it, "The Veritas Compact Pressure Stove #9688", just for the record.

So far, I've been content to let this one be a "show and tell" stove on a shelf, beside a few others of my British stoves. But, with Shed-Man's recent post about his mystery stove, which I think might be an earlier version of my own, I have decided to finally fettle it into fine form, and functionality!! (Before I get me coat and show himself the way out, I'll post a few photos!) ;) ;) :whistle: 8-[ O:)

My Veritas Compact Pressure Stove #9688:

1353519731-DSCN3941.JPG

1353519752-DSCN3943.JPG

1353519776-DSCN3944.JPG

1353519826-DSCN3945.JPG

1353519854-DSCN3946.JPG

1353519876-DSCN3947.JPG

1353519910-DSCN3940.JPG

1353519929-DSCN3939.JPG

1353520032-DSCN3938.JPG

1353520058-DSCN3937.JPG

1353520088-DSCN3936.JPG

1353520118-DSCN3935.JPG

1353520157-DSCN3934.JPG

1353520181-DSCN3933.JPG

1353520205-DSCN3932.JPG

I'll post some flame shots when I get this working as it was designed to do. This Veritas stove is in outstanding knick, and I have a feeling it won't take much for it to be roaring away! I'm embarrassed that this stove has never crossed my fettling bench and returned to action! :oops: :oops: Oh, well.... better late, than never, eh?!! ;) :lol: Great little stove, this! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Bratok_xxl Russian Federation

Hi Doc
    Nice stove - i have one of them but without any signs on top. Box card and other stuff be simple - and not have chain on filler cup and no spirit bottle in my complectation.

3. Doc Mark

Howdy, Bratok,

That's great to hear. Could you please post some photos of your stove like this? Shed-Man is trying to identify one like that which he has, and I'm thinking it's just an earlier version of my stoves, as, I think, yours. It would be great to see some photos of your own stove, just to compare. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Doc Mark

Greetings, All,

I forgot to post one last photo of my Veritas stove. This one shows a proper decal on the side, and I'm thinking that earlier versions of my stove only had the decals, and no imprinting or etching on them. I think that it's possible that Bratok's, and Shed-Man's stoves are from this earlier vintage. Could be wrong about that, or course, But it all seems to fit. Here's the decal:

1353523560-DSCN3948.JPG

I'm hoping to get to this stove today, or maybe tomorrow, which is our Thanksgiving Day! It's also another special day in my life, but that will have to wait until tomorrow! ;) ;) :content: O:) Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Doc a nice 1 pint outfit,i have not got one of these models,i would say these were a very good quality made stove,a little on the plain side with the filler, cap doubleing as a pressure rerlease key.

I do like the way the reserve cap, is fitted with a chain to prevent it getting lost.
    I dont think it will take a lot of work, to get this little gem back in perfect working order,just a set of new seals and a pump cup.especially if you want to keep the stove in its original condition/patina.
    It has been used but i dont think it has had a lot of use,and has been stored well

6. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice posting Doc. Funny how you can find a Veritas in Prescott and I've never seen one in England!

Last time I was in Prescott I was with Lin, her sister and husband. The ladies went shopping whilst Steve and I paid a very pleasant visit to Whiskey Row. Steve managed to start an argument amongst the locals in one bar by asking the correct pronunciation of Prescott - PresKOT, KIT or KUT. Two old boys who had lived their lives in the town couldn't agree!

Very sad to see the reports of the big fire in Whiskey Row earlier this year.

Regards,
    Terry

7. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi again Doc looking at the style of the tin,and all so the filler cap, doubleing as a pressure release key,i would say your stove was manufactured in the 1950's.

8. Doc Mark

Hey, Brian, Terry, and All,

Brian, many thanks for the kind comments and dating information. I think a new fuel cap gasket, NRV pip, and a fine pump leather from my dear Brother Sefa, and this little fellow may once again roaring it's defiance in a tempest!! Or.... brewing up a cuppa at my house! ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

Terry, thank you, very much, for the kind words. When were you last in Prescott? We pronounce it "Press-cut", with the accent on the first syllable. Many locals say it that way, but as you so rightly said, the "correct" pronunciation is a hotly debated topic in that little gem of a city.... no matter how you choose to say it!! ;) :lol: :lol:

Interestingly enough, the small antique store where I originally found this Veritas is/was located right smack dab around Whiskey Row! I had not heard about the recent fire over there, and will have to call a few of our friends in Prescott to get the skinny.

Since our fine Governor and Legislature got their super high tax increases in our last election, we may be forced to move from CA, or simply go out of business, as we just cannot raise prices on our loyal customers, even though our costs continue to skyrocket!! IF we have to move, Texas (my home State!), Utah, and Prescott, Arizona are all in the running to become our new home. And, at our age, it will very probably be the last such move we ever make in our lives. Oh, well..... such is life, eh?!

Back on topic, here's another photo that I forgot to take and post. The Veritas parts list for my stove:

1353525435-DSCN3949.JPG

That should be the last of them, Mates. This morning, it looks like I'd have forgotten my head, if I hadn't taken time to use JB Weld to keep it firmly affixed to my pencil neck!! ;) ;) :oops: :lol: :lol: :doh: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. islandpiper United States

Doc....TOMORROW is always a special day in our lives. Much better than TODAY , at least in theory, and usually far better than yesterday. Of course, just waking up and seeing one's self in the mirror each day proves that tomorrow is something to look forward to. piper

10. redspeedster

redspeedster United Kingdom Subscriber

Doc
    Nice score, one of my all time favourite 1 pinters.

11. Doc Mark

Hey, Piper,

That was as funny as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest!!! :lol: :lol: Today, is always nice, but tomorrow! Therein lies the key to real happiness and gratitude, me thinks! I'm thankful for our past, present, and whatever future our Lord has in store for us!! 8) :thumbup: :D [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Thanks for the laugh, Keith, and God Bless you and yours on this day, and every day!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. Bratok_xxl Russian Federation

My Veritas have been shown on mods section with hand made heat-shield. I take some new pics of this. Sorry for foto quality =)

1353527777-veritas_001.jpg

1353527786-veritas_002.jpg

1353527796-veritas_003.jpg

1353527809-veritas_004.jpg

1353527829-veritas_005.jpg

1353527841-veritas_006.jpg

1353527856-veritas_008.jpg

1353527889-veritas_010.jpg

1353527907-veritas_011.jpg

1353527933-veritas_012.jpg

1353527993-veritas_013.jpg

1353528044-veritas_014.jpg

1353528067-veritas_015.jpg

1353528091-veritas_016.jpg

1353528356-veritas_017.jpg

13. Doc Mark

HI, Bratok,

Outstanding! Thanks, very much, for sharing your earlier Veritas Compact Stove!! I definitely think that Shed-Man's old stove is the same as yours, though maybe a slight bit later, maybe in between yours and mine. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. Bratok_xxl Russian Federation

No problem Doc =) I try collect my Rekord stove fotos to answer in my vacation post =)

15. kayhannah

A very nice stove Doc, I think I will have to look out for one. The tin looks very similar to the "sandwich box" that I have for my svea 121. :thumbup:

16. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Thanks again everyone. I definitely have it as a Veritas 1 pinter Compact Stove; everything matches Doc's and Bratok's stoves. I have now found some legs that fit and I think that I may have a reserve cap somewhere. Shame I don't have the tin though. All the best. Steve.

17. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Steve, Veritas and Meyer (the UK importer of Svea stove) both used the Aluminium "sandwich" tins shown above:

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/21329

If you keep an eye open at car-boot sales or on eBay, under retro sandwich box, you should be able to pick one up. The only difference is that it will have Sandwich Box rather than Made in England embossed on the lid.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  18. Doc Mark

Greetings, All,

Yesterday, I finally fettled my Veritas stove, though testing will have to wait for a few more days. Here are a few photos of the fettle:

1353688653-DSCN3955.JPG

Note Stu's outstanding NRV tools, along with a few other needed goodies to fettle this stove. Also, you can see that I've changed the pump bucket to one of Brother Sefa's outstanding leathers, and WOW, what a difference in the pumping!! Excellent, now!

1353688745-DSCN3956.JPG

The fuel cap gasket was made of cork, and actually still usable after soaking it in olive oil for a bit. I simply turned it over, and it worked very nicely. The NRV was as hard as a rock, and deeply imprinted. After shaving a new one down a bit, with an Exacto knife, and adding a new lead gasket underneath, the new NRV works a treat and should last for quite a few years.

1353688883-DSCN3957.JPG

Finally, what's a British stove, without some British fuel??!! ;) ;) :D :D :D/

1353688976-DSCN3958.JPG

Oh, yeah.... the British fuel was for ME, and not the stove, but it was fun to have these two British products visit for a while, since I'd been working on the both of them at the same time!! ;) ;) 8) :thumbup: :D :D :lol: I'll fire up this little Veritas soon, and will add the flame photos to this post. Great little stove, and I look forward to using it "in anger", as it were!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

19. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Subscriber

Off-topic, for which apologies, but I just wondered how much you have to pay for a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale (a.k.a. 'Dog', 'Brown Dog', 'Lunatic's Broth, 'Journey into Space etc.) over there, Doc. It's one of the local brews here. I think it's getting on for around £2.00 a bottle nowadays.

Can't remember when I last had a bottle - 40-odd years ago?

20. Doc Mark

Hey, David,

Well, I usually buy a 24 pack case at our local store, and on sale it runs between $21-$23, both of which is less than one dollar per bottle of Newcastle. I prefer it when on tap at a restaurant, but the bottles are good, too. Interesting that you pay more than I do, when it's made "just down the road" from you, so to speak!! :shock: :-k :-s It's a good beer, and I usually have two bottles with dinner each night, or if I'm feeling really "frisky" I throw care to the wind and have three bottles with dinner!! :shock: :shock: ;) :lol: :lol: IF you and I ever get to meet up, I'll stand you to a few pints of Newcastle, or Guinness, or your brew of choice. How does that sound?! ;) :thumbup: 8) :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc