Veritas Mk1 Burner

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by cabriolet76, May 26, 2016.

1. cabriolet76

cabriolet76 United Kingdom Subscriber

I have recently acquired a Veritas Mk1 which burns well and is in reasonably good condition. It does have a problem where the burner plate is above the level of the pot stands. The lipstick has a ring fitted to stop the burner basket sticking. The solutions could be bend the pot stands, remove the ring, remove material from the base of the burner basket or fit some sort of trivet to lift the pot. Is this common with this stove? Is there a better solution?

Stoves 012.JPG

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, despite the branding, this appears to be the sister of your stove. There are plenty of photos so you can have a look and see if there are any obvious differences with your stove.

As I recall I had some problems setting a kettle on top and boiling it:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/what-the-falk.22076/

Read through this thread and you will see that I made A NEW SET OF LEGS.

How much would you have to bend the top of the legs up to get clearance from the burner?

You should consider making a new set of legs for the stove, As I did.. They are not too difficult.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. cabriolet76

Kerophile, having looked at your Falks stove I dug out a Duo burn (in a Veritas tin) to compare it with the Mk 1. Both stoves suffer from the same problem. I have attached a picture showing from left to right the Duo burn, Veritas Mk 1 and a monitor 17b for comparison of the clearance. Longer legs needed to use them properly.

Ray.

burner hight 003.JPG

4. kerophile

Hi, it is obviously a common problem. In the earlier post I actually stated:

"the legs shown in the earlier photos were borrowed from a very similar Duo-burn stove but they looked a little short for this Falk model. This brought the kettle/pan base very close to the flame-plate."

So I have both Duo-burn and Falk half-pint stoves where the legs appear to be too short to allow a practical burner to pan distance.
    You have reported exactly the same problem.

How strange!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. cabriolet76

Do you think it is too late to request a refund?

6. kerophile

Hi, Alas yes, if from the Maker.
    However, if you claim from a seller you would need to send back a lovely, and quite rare outfit. Make some legs, it is not too difficult.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile