Video killed the radio star

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by presscall, Apr 13, 2012.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Buggles mourned the loss of 'old' technology killed off by the new ...

Buggles - 'Video killed the radio star

... and I got to thinking how this set of unlikely 'killers' could possibly have had a hand in ousting the 'old' technology of paraffin brass stoves

1334343459-1.jpg

Of course, the big name manufacturers of the brass stoves themselves contributed to the brass classics decline by embracing the new technology and throwing their resources, including marketing and distribution, behind their new products.

Take for example this 1961 stockists list from Falks relating to their Veritas Highlander butane stove. I've just included one double-page spread but it runs to thirty, covering England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Eire

1334343468-2.JPG

1334343477-3.JPG

Can it really be that this 'killer' from France got them all running for cover, or rather manufacturing their own versions to cash in on the success of the Campingaz Bleuet with it's easy, no-prime ignition and disposable butane cartridges?

1334343492-4.JPG

Guess so, though some other lesser known contemporaries such as Wee-dex and Sirra (Marris) offered some alternatives

Wee-dex butane stove (1949) in Stove Ref Gallery

Sirra butane stove in Stove Ref Gallery

Like I said, the big names got in on the act too and Primus were no exception. This No.2251 is beautifully put together

1334343506-5.JPG

Primus 2251 in Stove Ref Gallery

By comparison, this Primus 2221 doesn't have the quality engineering appeal

1334343550-10.JPG

Its lindal-valved screw cartridge gives a clue to another reason these new-fangled butane stoves proved to be such 'killers' - collaboration with other big names - Calor in this instance (who also had a hand in the Wee-dex and sister Dexagas stoves) - and a massive amount of vested interest, and resources, in selling butane gas and butane appliances

1334343514-6.JPG

It's a big cartridge that one, compared here with a contemporary (left) and a modern (right) Parasene gas cartridge of a more normal size

1334343523-7.JPG

Naturally, Parasene also got in on the act with their own version of a butane stove

1334343532-8.JPG

Big butane stove, sure enough, pictured here with a Primus 71E

1334343541-9.JPG

Ok, how do these 'killers' stack up then?

Convenience - tick
    Clean, no messy, smelly liquid fuel - tick
    Easily obtained (large dealer network) - tick
    Fuel cartridges readily available - tick

One more massive factor. Think about those Primus, Optimus, Burmos point of sale cardboard boxes.

Plain, right?

The packaging for the new technology couldn't be accused of being plain and contained not just a stove, but the promise of an enviable lifestyle.

Big on marketing appeal - tick

1334343559-11.JPG

1334343567-12.JPG

Video killed the radio star. Discuss!

John

2. hikin_jim

John,

I think you have the world's top collection of butane stoves. Fascinating stuff you have! :thumbup:

And we can argue all day the "should have" or "should not have," but the fact remains that the world went chasing after gas stoves and the liquid fueled ones didn't remain.

On a camping trip with my church group last summer, I was the ONLY one with a liquid fueled stove. Every single other appliance (lanterns, stoves) was gas (propane).

HJ

3. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

i know Ross started the site for the kero burners but the appeal of these old Gaz stoves is undeniable..the "klunky" factor is part of it.

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I remember fondue!

I had some thoughts, but the last pic drove them from my sensorium.

5. presscall

Thanks for those comments, guys.

Dave's put the appeal of these things so very well, the 'klunky' factor. Exactly. The Primus 2251 apart, they do have that.

It's as well that I've not yet come across one that I can't recharge the fuel cart for, so they're all users, though one or two are mint and I'm reluctant to give them too much of a thrashing.

Bit of 'adaptoring' here and there ...

'Adaptoring' in Frankies, Mods and Hybrids forum

... and they're good to go.

For all but a select few (Hank Roberts, Optimus Mousetrap, the Primus 2251, yes, and the original Campingaz Bleuet believe it or not) none of these butane stoves can compete remotely with liquid-fueled ones on burner output, but it makes getting a brew out of them more of a challenge and an entertainment in itself. Propane and Coleman Powermax and the modern crop of iso-butane stoves are better of course.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. nzmike

The dumbing down of society generally. A bud of mine habitually uses a piezo start Kovea with smallest screw-in cartridge and views my re-fueling, priming etc with amusement. 'Dude, click-whoosh!' is his usual refrain and to a certain degree he has a point. Smaller backpack stoves generally run on white spirit and it can be unforgiving of the stupid and careless. Trangias! I hear you cry. Seemingly slow, seemingly lumpy and heavy (we know it's all relative, of cause :mrgreen: ) and once it's lit you look at it and mumble 'Is that it?' No sudden up welling of neat blue heat. The number of people I've seen cooking over wailing cartridge stoves using pots the thickness of a fag paper then wondering why their beans are black underneath and still stone cold on top. I don't mind this, I just wish I could figure out why people insist on just throwing the empties behind the nearest bush? ](*,) ](*,)

Thye answer is simple. General purpose laziness.

7. hikin_jim

John,

What size is that rather large Calor/Primus canister? Is it 450g? It looks quite a bit larger.

HJ

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Evening, Presscall,

What a wonderful stroll down memory Lane, John!! And, you DO have a great collection of those "trail-breakers" from yesteryear, too!! Well done, all around! I'm with Ed, though.... the Gal enjoying the sun, most certainly eclipses the stove.... if there even WAS a stove in that photo!! ;) :shock: :lol: :lol: Heck, back in those days, I'd have bought that stove just to get the advertising photo!! 8) :thumbup: :D/ :lol: Great job, John. Thanks for your efforts, and talented report and photos. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

In that last picture does that stove look unstable and about to pour boiling water all over the foreground?

10. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Early cut and paste...
    The stove leg doesn't touch the ground.

11. presscall

Hi Doc, Baja, Geeves.

You've pretty much got it on the button, Jim. It's 440g.

Line up, left to right in ascending fuel capacity (net weights quoted in grammes and ounces):-

Rando (52g, 1 3/4oz); Coleman C100 (97g, 3 1/2oz); Hank Roberts LP (178g, 6 1/4oz); Coleman Powermax (300g, 10 1/2oz); Jet Gaz (370g, 13oz); Primus 2202 (440g, 15 1/2oz)

1334414151-3.JPG

It's not just the Primus 2221 stove that takes that large cartridge, here it is installed in an equally 'klunky' (thanks Dave!) Primus 2241.

In contrast (and because I know you've a soft spot for Rando stoves, Jim, as have I) there's a Rando 360 alongside it with the smallest of the gas carts in that line-up installed

1334414236-4.JPG

Instructions for the Primus 2241 say the fuel cart is good for 5 hours of continuous use.

Rando? Nothing I can find in the instructions as to how long it will power the stove for, but with an eighth capacity of the large Primus cart and a burner jet orifice a little smaller than that on the Primus stove, my guess is it would be good for a little over a half-hour of use.

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Hello John, I have one of those big, big calor Primus canisters, with the original burner. I do not want so I will take it to Newark and it is yours if you want. Best to you mate - Steve.

13. presscall

Hey, thanks Steve.

See you there.

John

14. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Hi John, Here are are few pics of the two "Big Gassie" items that I have. A Primus 2241, almost unused and with the original, nearly full gas canister. The other is a Primus 2269 Lamp, with the same size, but different make, canister; this one is nearly empty. There is a very nice Tag on the lamp, and I have the original instructions for the stove. Will bring them to Newark for you. Best regards - Steve.

1334499003-Big_Gas_1.JPG

1334499148-Big_Gas_2.JPG

1334499168-Big_Gas_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  15. presscall

Great, thanks Stu!

John

16. hikin_jim

Fascinating stuff. I love those old klunky looking butane stoves.

Interesting that the old Calor-Primus canisters were 440g. Kind of an odd size. 15.5oz.

Are all the canisters in this photo standard screw thread? Will they interchange with modern stoves?
    1334343523-7.JPG

Fabulous photo -- the perfect illustration.
    1334414151-3.JPG

Fascinating how this burner has an assembly around it almost as though it were a puncture type canister.
    1334414236-4.JPG
    And yes I do like those little Rando360 stoves. Not the absolute most practical for serious backpacking, but very fun and certainly more than adequate or day trips or afternoon tea.

HJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  17. presscall

Hikin Jim asked,

1334603764-7.JPG

Yes indeed, Jim.

Modern Parasene cartridge powering an MSR XGKII using the adaptor I featured in the 'Frankies, Mods and Hybrids' forum

1334603842-7.JPG

1960's Parasene cartridge powering Primus Omnifuel equipped with BD silent burner cap

1334604040-8.JPG

Primus 2202 cartridge powering MSR Rapidfire

1334604051-9.JPG

Just for laughs, a Jet Gas pierceable cartridge, equipped with the adaptor described here (Jet Gaz cartridge and adaptor) powering a Coleman Apex stove, using a fuel line and connector I featured here (Fuel hose crimping and Coleman Apex connector for butane fuel)

1334606491-10.JPG

That 2241 stove with the steel straps certainly gives the impression of taking pierceable cartridges as you say, Jim, but you'll see from this photos that it's just a frame that doesn't brace or otherwise hold the fuel cartridge, which simply hangs on the thread fitting

1334604074-11.JPG

1334604083-12.JPG

1334604091-13.JPG

It's an arrangement that accommodates a modern cartridge perfectly well ... aesthetic considerations apart

1334604099-14.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  18. Bom Bom Bom Bom

John,

Brilliant post and excellent collection. Better to know your enemy than ignore him eh? And I have to admit to occasionally connecting a gas cart to my Omnifuel as that's the only way my wife will use it on her own.

But I have to take issue with your comment on packaging by putting a different slant on it. Yes, the traditional stoves might have had boring point of sale packaging. But what you carried with you were lovely, colourful, graphically enticing tins! These equally represented the lifestyle promise and did so way beyond when the cardboard packaging was thrown away.

The Packaway, any of the Monitors, Veritas/RM etc. All lovely and the reason I collect that type of stove. And what about the early Optimus 00 tins with the desert scenes. Too gorgeous for words. But perhaps that's just me?

Cheers, Graham.

19. presscall

Absolutely right about the tins, Graham. I suppose I had in mind the plain cardboard outers for 'point of sale' locations, but retailers must have had the tins on display too, and many depicted 'lifestyle' themes.

John

20. jkline

I like the one with the pink flowers. I can only imagine the btu's that thing can throw off.