Vulcan Safety Chef

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by RonPH, Nov 14, 2009.

1. RonPH

This just arrived in the mail today :whistle: . On Ebay, it looked pretty big but when I got it the case is 5 and 3/4 tall x 4 and 3/4 wide. A bit heftybut the stove itself is made of steel. Manufactured by Vulcan Safety Chef Division in Hartford, CONN. The stove came with its original fuel tin with the fuel which seemed to have shrunk as it was rattling inside the tin. If the fuel does not work, I could always transfer fuel gel on to the tin. Planning ahead,I have to look for a nice SS or Brass tin with cover to replace the original. On camping this stove could be thrown at a menacing bear or cayote and will still survive. I love the way the stove has a fold out handle as well as the case so you can use both case halves to cook something on it.

I will fire it up next week after completing some other projects.

1258224368-SafetyChef001.jpg

1258224417-SafetyChef002.jpg

1258224441-SafetyChef003.jpg

1258224476-SafetyChef004.jpg

1258224504-SafetyChef005.jpg

Although this item is being sold at one surplus store (Omaha's I believe), this version was for Military I would think having the aluminum pots. The seller posted it as used but looking over the stove it has never been fired :D/ . The snuffer plate pictured is still taped on top of the tin.

Another one added to my collection :thumbup:

As Doc has said "how many is too many"

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Ron, nice score! And as re Doc's remark; " how many is to many " I'd say " there is always one short! " ;)

Regards,

Wim

3. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

I've got the deluxe like yours with it's carton & the ordinary version with no pans in it's tin. From the graphics I'd say civilian. The instructions are in the Library I believe. I think the fuel was some sort of naptha gel rather than alcohol which surprised me. When I get round to firing mine it will be alcohol jelly!

4. RonPH

I believe this is the commercial version for civilians. The stove is the same but the container is different.

1258229313-Safety.jpg

5. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Cool stove Ron. I've always been curious about those as I don't have one. Can't wait to see pics of it flaming away cooking something!

sam

6. RonPH

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

The cardboard box for the deluxe set with pans has the same graphics & 'wood' grain as the tin shown.
    1258238933-001.jpg 1258238941-002.jpg

More info on this sheet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  8. RonPH

Hi Wim, your right I am always "one short of stove"

Spiritburner, thanks for the pictures. All the while I thought the variance in packaging was for different markets, I guess I was wrong.

Back to work today. Hate working Sundays but at least I have a job and pays the bills.

Still sleepy, back to bed for another 3hours.

:thumbup:

9. hikin_jim

An interesting stove, Ron. If you come down to CA SG #3, then perhaps you could bring it? :)

10. RonPH

HJ, I will try to make it on CA3 if schedule permits. Perhaps then it will be fired for the first time.

Ron

11. hikin_jim

Excellent! I hope you can make it.

12. anlrolfe

Something about these stoves reminds me of how we used to polish our boots in the Corps. To help smooth on the polish we would touch it off with a lighter and allow the surface to liquefy. With rag in hand tightly wrapped around our finger tips we would apply a thin black coat in endless pirouettes.

I guess that shoe polish is mostly paraffin wax. It would be interesting to see how close in size the OEM fuel canister is to the size of a shoe polish can. It would be curious to find that the executives at Kiwi or some other polish manufacturer came up with stoves as another marker for their wax. As for the flue stack, don't the baffles resemble the design of a paraffin(kerosene) heater?

Curiously,

AR

13. oyvindbl

oyvindbl Subscriber

The SVEA 123 burner fits almost perfectly inside the pots from the Vulcan safety stove.
    One set of pots from a safety stove came with my SVEA when I bought it on Ebay. :D
    When I figured out where they came from, I just had to buy a complete Vulcan safety stove as well so I could have a spare (it is at least an excuse for buying one more stove to put on the shelves). I have wrapped a thin piece of old foam from a sleeping pad around the SVEA so it doesnt rattle in the pots.

14. Paul B

I liked seeing the YouTube videos. I don't know if other members had seen the original fuel type for this stove. The cans do not describe their contents other than "PETROLEUM SOLVENT", and a series of patent numbers that I suppose you can look up.

1262368773-Sa-fuel_2.JPG 1262368800-Sa-fuel__.JPG

The cans are tuna style requiring an opener, and measure 3 inches by 1 and 1/8 inch.