1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wear-Ever camping pans (and an enamelled tin mug)

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by presscall, Feb 4, 2014.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Pans come in a twill cotton tailored bag, equipped with press-stud fasteners

1391549531-1.JPG

1391549539-2.JPG 1391550165-3.JPG 1391550175-4.JPG 1391550186-5.JPG 1391550197-6.JPG

The steel handle of the frying pan pivots and disengages from a metal lug on the pan to enable the set to be unshipped

1391550214-7.JPG

1391550231-8.JPG

1391550243-9.JPG

The mug is an addition, I'm supposing

1391550254-10.JPG

I've seen flimsier tow-bars for automobiles than that handle

1391550268-11.JPG

Handle's stamped to the effect that a patent has been applied for

1391550278-12.JPG

The base stamp. Made in the USA, model no. 888

1391550288-13.JPG

That coach bolt pivot with a wing nut is functional and there are 'pips' and hollows punched in the mating parts of the handle to ensure positive locking in place (stowed as here or opened up for use) when the wing nut is tightened up

1391550325-16.JPG

1391550299-14.JPG

1391550310-15.JPG

I wonder though whether the pivot was always that coach bolt and wing nut, or perhaps just a rivet that loosened up too much and was discarded. The replacement isn't an easy fit in the pocket in the bag

1391550345-17.JPG

Diameter of the frying pan and this pan is around seven inches

1391550383-18.JPG

This one's 'Manufactured in Canada' and is (I think) model no. 168. Stamp is a bit faint

1391550405-19.JPG

1391550442-20.JPG

More to follow

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. presscall

This pan with a lid is deeper and has a diameter of about five-and-a-half inches

1391551562-21.JPG

1391551574-22.JPG

Also manufactured in Canada, it's model no. 234

1391551584-23.JPG

Now to the mug - I say 'mug' but maybe I'm the mug and it's a jug because it's got a pouring lip. I'm hoping a CCS member (possibly Stateside) will be able to identify it as a known military issue item. Certainly it's olive drab ...

1391551594-24.JPG

Those two, stacked, indentations on the mug aren't accidental dents. They have a purpose I'm thinking

1391551604-25.JPG

It's a lovely thing. The patina of the bare steel exposed by the the enamel chips has taken quite a while to get like that

1391551621-26.JPG

A clue on the base. I'm kicking myself for not recognising it and can't even decide which is the right way up to decipher it, but feel sure that someone will make sense of it!

1391551635-27.JPG

This way up? ...

1391551647-28.JPG

... or this?

1391551658-29.JPG

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. presscall

Just noticed reviewing my post, the USA pan has the TACUCo stamp and the Canadian ones have NACo.

Research called for. Equivalent of Canadian and USA Coleman offshoots I suppose.

John

4. itchy United States

John,
    Never seen one that vintage, but all the similar sets I have seen have the wing nut.

5. presscall

That's interesting Itchy, many thanks. I'll stitch up that corner of the bag and call it good on that evidence.

I've taken another look online for whatever I can find about the Wear-Ever brand. Can't see the wood for the trees. Broad outline of company history, loads of Wear-Ever goods for sale, mostly new. I've not yet found a collectors' website, which was what I was hoping for. Maybe there isn't one.

John

6. Chef BC United States

John you always seem to find the most tantalizing pieces. :D/ What a super looking kit. I carried one similar in my Scouting days but it was far less durable looking. The "plow share" handle looks to be zinc coated. With all the different manufacturer stamps, could we figure it to be a mish-mashed together set? That mug does look to be an extra special purpose intended item but do the indentations measure out any specific quantity of product? Might be time to get a history search on the USA and Canadian Wear Ever manufacturing facilities. Still this is a nice find. :clap:

7. presscall

Thanks Harold.

Yes, intriguing bit of kit sure enough. It's surely been someone's favourite set for a good while and now I'm custodian for a spell.

It'll certainly continue to be used, probably very soon in conjuction with my 1917 Primus 96 for a spot of retro camp cooking.

I spotted somewhere in my Googling that the Marines latched onto Wear-Ever cook ware at an early date.

John

8. Nordicthug United States

Mountlake Terrace, in the Puget Sound basin.
    The general shape of the kit is Boy Scouts of America. There are dozens of copies made all over the world. I never liked that set as I have never used a frying pan when hiking and the pot is too small to be practical. All the kits of that style I've ever seen have had a plastic cup.

The mug you show seems to me to be a combination measuring cup/drinking mug with hte dents signifying amout of liquid, I'd measur them into an actual measuring cut. The mug is not US Military. The logo is unfamiliar. The US military branches used identical gear as far as I know. And the only mug issued was the canteen cup. Anything unique to the Marines would be stamped USMC. That kit is all civilian save possible the mug, it mught be lower Elbonian issue. I thought it might be South African but is missing the broad arrow mark found on all commonwealth military kit.

US mess kits are oval shaped since at least WWI. The lower is sort of frying pan shaped and the upper is stamped into two sections with a deep trough to allow the handle to fall between and snap closed. Early (WWI) kit can be alumin(i)um but later WWI and all WWII and later is stainless steel and was issued with a knife, fork and spoon all marked USA. The handles were marked with Date and manufacturer.

Take all above cum grano salis, my data set is archaic.

Gerry

9. presscall

Your 'pinch of salt' contribution is just fine, Gerry. Much appreciated.

John

10. DAVE GIBSON United States

Great find of a old and well used kit. If you invert the pan over the pot will the fry pan handle still swing over and close up the way all of these cook kits do?
    The cup is a measure made to pour a liquid. Whoever had the kit must of replaced the smaller cup that came with the kit. I have never seen anything like it but the cutlass has a navy look? Rum measure? Looks like a 16 under the cutlass, 16 ounces?
    Stuff like this is fun to pick.
    BINGO!! I just ran a Goggle search of "navy rum measure cup" and used the image search and there is a page of them like that in some way. Age is the only question now.

11. alanwenker

alanwenker United States Subscriber

Typically the Boy Scout sets had a plastic cup, but older versions had an aluminum drinking cup. I've seen photos of vintage sets with the aluminum cup, but these must have gone away during the 1960's. About half way down this page is an example of the older style. Your set appears to have much heavier gauge metal than most.
    http://www.jaysknives.com/boyscoutknives_5.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

John thx for sharing, I'm +1 w/Dave being very interested esp re the mug. I had searched and searched again w/Dave quiry and haved NOT found any oval bottom (enamelware / graniteware) measure / mug. (can i get a link possibly dave?)
    Rum measure / Mugs that popped were mostly British by the way.

I'll NOW thank the UK for Boy Scouts of America cuz I understand BSA was established copying Boy Scouts in UK. So it may be with this mess kit.
    Although no doubt the oval-shape mug fits nicely in a mess kit, i wonder were they originally together in a kit?
    And as for "like a boy scout kit", like Boy Scouts UK quite possibly which those of us stateside wouldn't typically find these UK boy scout items.

13. ulysses

ulysses United States Subscriber

John:

As Gerry and Alan have mentioned, your kit is an earlier version of the standard North American "Scout" type cook kit. The steel handle and some of the other refinements indicate an earlier date. So does the color of the carrying bag and it's details. I've never seen one with the flaps that open to allow the withdrawl of the kit. My guess that this is of 1950s production. Kits like this were produced from the late 1940s (?), to the 1980s, at least. They are probably still in production in China. The were produced for the Boy and Girl Scouts, and are marked on the handle with a logo. I have a complete Girl Scout kit with a plaid cover. Wear-Ever was a quality manufacturer. My first one, from the 50s, was made by Palco, who also made canteens. The earlier ones had a rounded aluminum cup with a flat handle. They did have a wing nut to clamp the handle. I've heated many a can of beans or stew in the little pot, and even cooked bacon, etc. in the fry pan. It did tend to burn things in the thin aluminum pan.

In the mid-50s to the mid-60s, we always cooked on a fire. There were essentially no stoves in any of the local sporting goods shops, or in the Scout catalog, and we just never knew they existed. By the late 1960s I had discovered REI, and ordered A Seva 123, and two Sigg Pots. All are still in front line service today.

The cup could be a Royal Navy measure, but there should be a crows foot somewhere on it. The only similar cup I've seen are part of a Swiss army set that included a small oval flask (10 ounces?)that fit inside the cup (reason for the detents; hold the flask in?). The set was available from Sportsman's Guide here in the US, a few years ago. Earlier models (1930s and 40s?) had a metal flask with a cork stopper, later models had a plastic flask with a screw top.

Paul

14. alanwenker

alanwenker United States Subscriber

There were also cheap copies sold as well without the Boy and Girl Scout logos. My first kit from the 1970's was a cheap knock off, the official BSA versions at the time were of better quality than mine, but did cost a few more dollars. Back in the day some of the official BSA kit was quite nice; quality knives, decent leather pouches, etc.

15. presscall

You're an amazing lot, you really are. Loads of info to sift through. Brilliant.

Dave Gibson asked,

I get what you mean Dave. Just tried it and yes, it will.

John

16. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

I Googled 'National Council Mess Kit images' and got a screen full of wonderful images - some similar to your kit, John.

17. presscall

Yep, got those Trevor. Outstanding.

A load of sleuths, that's what you are.

Not marked as a Boy Scout's mess kit as some evidently are and combining Canadian-made Wear-Ever utensils with that frying pan made in the USA.

Enamelled steel cup/measure with the crossed cutlasses markings found its way in there at some point, the oval cross-section lending itself to stowing away inside the billy.

If I can work out the difference in Imperial and American fluid ounces I'll see if those markings on the cup correspond to a set figure in either and it might offer a clue as to which side of the Atlantic the cup originated. Maybe.

John

18. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  19. presscall

Thank you OMC.

I understand your reasoning, that the ebay item you identified - Wear-Ever frying pan model no.888 with a 1915 patent date stamped on the handle - must be of a later date than the one I have carrying the stamp 'Patent Applied For'.

I'm sure you're right that the cup's been added to the set and wasn't originally packaged with it.

Concerning that marking of the crossed swords, Dave Gibson offered a compelling argument that the cup/measure could be a rum measure and reinforced the navy connection by referring to the swords in the logo as cutlasses.

On studying the logo more I'm inclined to think that the swords are of an Eastern scimitar pattern rather than cutlass, which doesn't signify anything about the country of origin of manufacture of course and nor does it dilute the rum measure argument.

John

20. Giri

Giri Canada Subscriber

Last edited: May 27, 2016