1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weiheng-china stove

Discussion in 'China' started by geeves, Feb 7, 2014.

1. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

So often out of China you get so many brands of almost identical things. You could start this topic as "insert your brand here"
    Its almost identical to the Campsor 10 and Bulin with the only obvious difference being the lindal connection on the hose so you can run isobutane the metal pump and the dumpy shaped bottle.
    1391746953-stove1.jpg
    The big difference is the bottle. There is no stand on the pump so its not obvious which way it will run and which way it will suck fumes and go out but it doesnt matter. The bottle has a wide base and the pump goes nearly all the way to the bottom so it can be used standing up. Also the pump is a good fit in an MSR bottle and the MSR pump a good fit in this bottle. All the other chinese bottles one will be loose the other tight.
    1391747229-stovebottle.jpg
    Anyway you cant get a stove out without lighting it and boiling something. Much like a whisperlite to use except it seems to hold a lot of fuel in the burner before dripping down to the priming pad. Makes an exciting prime. Of course on butane you just light it.
    1391747430-stoveprime1.jpg
    Then a useful fast boil
    1391747532-stoveboil.jpg
    followed with careful adjustment a practical simmer. At this level it pulses a little and can be set lower but the pulsing is worse.Still how often do you need less than this?
    1391747680-stovesimmer.jpg
    All of the above for $57NZ delivered who can complain. There was a problem initially in that the jet leaked causing a small candle flame at the jet. Removing and refitting the jet fixed this.Also the extensive instruction manual is only written in Chinese not that we need instructions do we?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. itchy United States

I like seeing all these Chinese stoves. It seems that every new one is a hybrid of two others, each a mutt and not a purebred among them.

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Thanks for sharing this geeves,
    I guess I've seen many stoves knock-offs or whatever from china or where ever but to-date haven't looked beyond the title-page. I don't swear 'em off, my focus is on other items when i've seen them. This post and some by dsk (that get the "ol skull n crossbones") i find just as fascinating as any other, now this one esp.
    > Is there a link I might connect myself w/a currently available item. I'll not buy right away, btw, but I'll begin a search from there and look to learn more of what's out there, i like your selection here, thx again.
    > Esp the MSR/SIGG compatable thread pump & squatty fuel bottle. I do not have a sense of scale in the pics btw. What is the capacity of the bottle (possible for diameter & height)?
    Do i see a hole at rim of cap is it a cap/pour spout akin to SIGG /MSR?
    Thx for including the orientation challenge w/the pump. "the jury is still out" on how much you like the unit. You like the metal pump i pressume (vs plastic), do you care to elaborate on your initial thoughts re it's: durabil-ity, reliabil-ity, or rebuildable-ity (new word, yw)? best regards
    edit: doh, just googled your title, so found mnfctr, MULTI-FUEL and i now have a clue of course i don't speak chinese, so there's that. Looks like they are a maker of a micro "orange box" and i see something very close to yours but haven't found yours

4. geeves

Bottle is marked as 1 litre 90mm wide and 160mm high. The hole you see is a lanyard hole. There is no pour spout except the anti drip rim.
    The website only shows a version of the brs8 stove not this one. Don't know why.
    Even so a complete stove for the price of a fuel bottle who can say no.
    Pump is easy to dismantle and the included repair kit has all the right parts. Won't comment on whether they are the right rubber etc. Time will tell.

5. geeves

This post and some by dsk (that get the "ol skull n crossbones")

You will be pleased to know I have completed penance consisting of the lighting of 5 brass discus stoves a Hurlock and 2 Colemans.

6. geeves

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

A Chinese knockoff of unknown quality for about the same price as a field proven MSR? Pure marketing genius! Not.

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Personally, I have not much use for, nor a desire to own, the Chinese-made knock-offs of proven stoves. MSR stoves are very well made, well designed, have proven field reliability, and come with the best warranty in the business! Why would I want to spend money on something that is none of those things??!! Yeah, I know, "It's cheaper, and the shipping is included". So?? When it comes to stoves, you pretty much get what you pay for, and I'd rather save up a bit longer, and get the BEST stove I can buy for my money, and not a lesser version of same.....

Not meaning to knock those who buy the El Cheapo versions, just wondering why, when far better stoves can be had for only a tad more coin. Add in help from some of us American Stovies, in possibly finding used versions of good stoves, for those overseas who are in need, and well, that just seems a better way to go then buying what I could consider a "pig in a poke". Just my two cents, and others certainly have the right to do otherwise. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. OMC

geeves thank you for the update.
    Sparky i think u have qualified previous criticisms that there are some good products from China, as always i appreciate your input either way. I hold out hope on this model til it's debunked.
    hey Doc n all granted it's not a classic and whisperlites may have a toe in that door but i hear a different position from Doc and jus tossin a few *counterpoints (*includes, advice I'd credit u with, Doc?)

"MSR stoves are very well made, well designed" can i put an asterisc in there or possibly rephrase that is re newest version whisperlites (u had serious problems w/previous versions?, ones u r now suggesting others buy used ...? or maybe not?)
    MSR's plastic pumps have as much proven unreliable as they have "proven field reliability".
    and re warranty they did NOT offer replacement for MANY pump failures, many owners SOL not happy w/MSR re that.
    "you pretty much get what you pay for"
    Correct Primus? and this China knock-off you pay for a metal pump, MSR u pay for and still get a plastic one.
    "Not meaning to knock those who buy the El Cheapo versions" ... u r doin a pretty good job here, WHY seems i'm even a tad defensive, i'm liking the potential for geeves' item and it's not all that cheap as u also noted.
    More on warranty THERE i feel ya got me. That is solidly in "i am +1 with you on that". It is most likely, considering it's peers, that parts and support... are not gonna happen, a definite negative. that said if it holds to be a solid performer, a stovie can find ways to safely fettle it if parts can not be ordered.
    For geeves it WAS a "pig in a poke" BUT if he's content with it. After a hands-on unbiased stovie review it is no longer a pig in a poke, is it?
    U wanna call it a pig, i wanna call it winner-winner-chicken-dinner! or at least give it a further look.
    The only comparable whisperlite w/canister option is the Universal which will not be cheap "used".
    Sorry but ya tried to slant this 1 way, i've tried a pushed back. peace

10. OMC

A neither here nor there question
    Do you like the fuel bottle (i do)? Has anyone seen anything like it (i've not) or know of a source for just a big squatty bottle like that. add-on question does that shape create potential problem? If so maybe why MSR offfers only the towering slender 33 oz version (i've said it here, i prefer fat bottoms, now hush).
    btw there's a knock-off adapter to connect older whisperlites to canisters (they are selling btw) but what i recall seeing was $62 US for just the adapter.
    not EZ for me to comment further today, best regards

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hey, OMC,

Actually, I got a nice laugh out of your comments! ;) :lol:

In regards to Chinese-made stoves, I just don't trust them, period. Yes, some good merchandise is coming out of China, but I've yet to see a stove which would beat out the US-made stove that is being copied. Poor metals, thin in too many places, and who knows what sorts of rubber seals are being used??? Again, just speaking for myself, I would not trust them. I own a couple, and found them not up to what I want to see in a stove.

To the OP, and to anyone who likes and admires Chinese-made stoves, for whatever reason, please accept my apology if my original comments in this thread were taken as "demeaning". That most certainly was NOT my intention. Humble apologies to you all.

To OMC, I stand by my comments about MSR. The ONLY stove I've not appreciated from them, was the ORIGINAL Whisperlite International. It was not a true multi-fuel stove, and to their credit, MSR upgraded that in later models, and now it is a fine stove, indeed. I don't have a problem with MSR's use of plastic pumps, especially as I can rebuild them quite easily, if needed, and after talking to the MSR stove designers, I've found they chose plastic for it's safety, and no other reason. Their pumps are designed with pressure release vents, so that they do not become bombs, if something goes wrong. I'm not sure how an all metal pump would react, in the same situation.

In closing, MSR is one of the best stove manufacturers going today, period. They have earned my support and my business. And, the Whisperlite Universal CAN be found at good prices, used, just as I did not long ago!! I bought a used one, in very close to mint condition, at an REI gear sale. Someone returned it, but the only problem was that the fuel tube on the pump was cranked upside down!!! One simple twist, and it worked like new!!! Got it for half price, which to me is an outstanding deal, for such a fine stove!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

There is an old addage: Price, Quality, Delivery. Pick two. It is still true. While I also own a number of Chinese gassies, I would not put them into the same league as the Coleman, MSR, or Primus/Optimus stoves. They all burn well but I really don't expect them to have the same service life as the better stoves. So buy what makes sense for you but remember: if you do find yourself a free lunch, it is probably Chinese food and some Oriental is gonna eat it.

13. geeves

OK, down here in the deep south Good ole American stuff costs quite a bit more and the cheapest Whisperlite is roughly 4 times the cost of this stove. A universal which has roughly the same specification is 6 times as much.

This stove will be going on my next overnight tramp and a report duly coming after that but don't expect me to compare it to a classic. Its' not and never will be.

Also deliberately omitted from the original article, one issue with the stove as it arrived; small leak at the jet. Easily fixed by removing the jet and screwing back in but it put the don't do it on my idea of importing a few dozen of these to sell on our local auction site.

14. Li Ding Singapore

This stove is cost 150RMB in China.

Most of the stainless steel products (even Stanley Vacuum flask and MSR bottles) in China are produced in Yongkang city, Zhejiang province, which has now serious pollution of heavy metals. :( :( :( ](*,)

15. geeves

Tried to do a conversion on that. If RMB is the same as Yuan then that is about half what I paid for the stove which is a fair delivery price down to New Zealand.

16. geeves

Just went out to give the stove a quick test before a tramp this weekend.
    Not happy.
    Pumped it up and primed and lit fine but then noticed a wet spot under the pump turned off very quick Bubbles comming out between the alloy tube of the pump and the plastic mount that screws into the bottle. Quick look shows the glue between the 2 parts has broken down in contact with fuel.
    Grabbed the pump from my brs8 which worked fine so the stove is still alive but need to fix the pump at some stage. Didnt someone else have to do a similar repair a while back on an optimus pump that this is a clone of?

17. Primus 96 United Kingdom

I haven't found this stove or the Bulin X2 available on-line to compare the price of the knock-off vs the going rate for a Whisperlite.
    I mean the first version, not the Internationale or Universal. My (possibly faulty) understanding is that the first Whisperlite was white-gas only.

It is frightening that the pump of this stove is apparently defective by reason of manufacturing error. If the metal & plastic parts have to be glued together then you don't use a glue that is soluable in white-gas or petrol.
    Is this stove a knock-off of a knock-off, not usually seen outside of the PRC?

18. Primus 96 United Kingdom

Update:
    Amazon UK have the Bulin X2.
    The price is around what you could pay on-line for a good used MSR Whisperlite Internationale.
    Why buy either knock-off if you can get a low-mileage Whisperlite for the same price?

19. geeves

as long as the whisperlite came with a red pump that would be true at least in USA but elsewhere we get ripped of by stove prices.
    I bought my used Dragonfly for the price of 2 of these

20. Primus 96 United Kingdom

MSR is a rip-off if you buy new. In that case the Bulin X2 would be half the price when comparing new stoves.

At least you can get the service parts for the Whisperlite. I do not know what consumable spares you can get for the Weiheng or the Bulin stoves.
    Without a full source of spares, the Weiheng is never going to be a expedition stove.