1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wick stove

Discussion in 'Stove Paraffinalia' started by presscall, Apr 23, 2011.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

I've been busy getting this old-timer back into useable condition

1303590745-1.JPG

It's a slightly different, slightly more ornate version of Wim's wick stove, here ...

Wim's wick stove

... and Yonadav's 2-burner version here

Yonadav's wick stove

Sponsor Base Camp was my source for three two-and-eleven-sixteenth inch wide flat wicks and a piece of mica for the inspection window/access door. Aware of the requirement to char wicks in Aladdin lamps, I charred the stove wicks before installation. Getting to grips with old technology prompted a bit of pondering on how to get the wicks into the wick tubes. The wick raiser mechanism isn't up to the job to push the wicks into place and I devised the technique of using duct tape 'tails' to feed through the mechanism and drag the wicks through. Worked fine, but it led me to wonder how that task used to be done in a pre- duct tape age

1303590756-2.JPG

1303590764-3.JPG

1303590773-4.JPG

1303590784-5.JPG

1303590795-6.JPG

Burning happily and causing quite a stink and soot-smog before the burner unit was installed in the stove chimney (when the smell and the sooty flame eased off somewhat), here are the stove components before assembly

1303590811-7.JPG

Installed, the burner behaved better, though a bit of wick trimming and raising and lowering of the wick to get the optimum flame height (not too high and sooty, not too low to extinguish it) was still in order

1303590822-8.JPG

There's no maker's name on the stove, but a date of '97 seems to suggest it pre-dates the Drew and Sons spirit stove (1898) and the Primus 100 paraffin pressure stove(undated but pre-1911)

1303590833-9.JPG

1303590847-10.JPG

1303590859-11.JPG

1303590871-12.JPG

The time the wick stove took to boil a litre of water was ... considerable ... but that's not where it's strengths lie. It's a handsome thing and could simmer food (on one, two or all three burner wicks) for ages, or keep a kettle of water simmering and ready for brewing up whenever a pot of tea were needed during the working day.

That said, I can certainly see why the pressure stove proved to be such a winner ...

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Wim

Wim Belgium Subscriber

Hi John, that sure is a beauty you've got there! And it has the trivet, which is one of the first items to get lost on these. Fine score! :D/ :clap: As you said, these are perfect for simmering (or slow cooking as it is so fancily called nowadays ;) ) and I like to use mine for making a good heartily soup for my "troops" when at Living History events.
    You'll grow to love it! O:)

Best regards,

Wim

3. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John a very nice ornate wickie, yes that is the fly in the ointment with a wickie they are a very slow boiler but as you mention they are the most perfect for simmering and for warming as with a pressure stove they cant be turned down to such limits as that of a wickie and they are realy economical
    Out of interest i wonder how these would compare with a valor minor 64c 65c blue flame stove

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hello, Presscall,

Absolutely lovely, John!! Brilliant bit of kit, and well done on getting it back to doing what it was meant to do!! All the photos were your usual wonderful stuff, John, but my favorite is the one in which all three stoves are side by side, backed by the lovely pond and greenery!! VERY nice composition, and lovely photo work!! The colors are just wonderful. Congrats on having this old timer, and well done! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. presscall

I'd say the Valor, or any 'blue flame' tubular wick stove, will burn hotter and cleaner without the older wick stove design's tendency to smoke and smell if the wick height or condition isn't quite right.

Smoke, smell, slow maybe - I'm enjoying it enormously though!

Hey, thanks Doc!

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. Doug L

Doug L United States Subscriber

Those 3 wick stoves must do a decent job and with the nice casting ya gotta love em.All nice stoves and photos as always.Thanks for sharing them.

7. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P. Subscriber

Nice one, John!
    As to feeding the wicks thru, note that they're cut on a slant at one end, so all you have to do is get one corner started, then you can pull the rest down.

8. linux_author

linux_author United States Subscriber

beautiful stove!

9. Zincman United Kingdom

Lovely stoves, I am also very impressed by your garden.

10. lant-ern Canada

I have to say that's the sweetest wicky I ever seen.

Ernie

11. algentry1 United States

ahhh...

this is one of the nicest garden pond landscapes I've seen. The blue metal, contrasted with the black cast iron, backed up by an almost invisible waterfall, and a backdrop of waterlilies and overhanging flowers.

I love it. :clap:

Thanks very much

12. Viscara United States

Presscall, I was admiring your pond on the other side of the pond as much as your wick stoves here. Nice restoration job, beautiful and almost belongs in a Victorian movie of two ladies sitting and enjoying a cup of tea.

13. islandpiper United States

It is quite apparent that the problem here is not the three-wick stove. The real issue is with the kettle. http://classiccampstoves.com/fusion/gallery/2151/1303590871-12.JPG

If you box it up and send it to me for analysis I could figure it out in a year or two...and i'll write it all up and send it back soon...maybe about the time that the Senate presents a balanced budget. It could be something as simple as your water...and our Louisiana water might boil better. :lol: :lol:

piper

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  14. LilNomad United States

What is the name/model /make of the blue stove?
    Thank You
    LilNomad

15. presscall

@LilNomad
    The stove isn't marked with a manufacturer's name and carries no other identification marks.

John

16. OystrPir8 United States

I just picked up a very similar one on eBay. Mine is a Haller. I will post a picture soon. It is almost identical, but graniteware gray instead of blue. Yours sure is a beaut!! I also just Came across this poster while doing some research on Cold War artifacts. Pretty great illustration.
    image.jpg

17. presscall

@OystrPir8
    Welcome to CCS!
    I'll be glad to see your Haller.
    That poster's an astonishing accident-prevention piece. Shockingly graphic (as intended to be) in its depiction of a tragedy about to happen.

Your research into Cold War artefacts sounds fascinating and it's something I'm sure other members would like to hear about.

Is there a context to that poster do you know? Was it a common issue that the (USSR?) state ran a campaign to combat? It'd help if I could understand the message on it. @Bratok_xxl @gieorgijewski

John

18. Whitey PI

Whitey PI United States Subscriber

That is simply Gorgeous !!! I take it there are very few still around that condition. Work of Art.

19. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Poland Subscriber

20. presscall

@gieorgijewski
    I'm grateful for the link to an outstanding resource of poster art. Phenomenal!

Thank you.

John