Windshield for Heinze/Geniol Military stove.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by kerophile, Apr 10, 2016.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Tony Press showed the way, and I have followed:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/homemade-windshield-for-heize-geniol.31820/#post-323200

I prefer to use a methylated spirit prime, using a glass-fibre wick, rather than the blow-torch instant-heater fitted as standard on these stoves. First the before shots

Heinze Geniol Military stove-2.jpg Heinze Geniol Military stove-3.jpg

I searched the charity shops and found a stainless steel tank of the correct dimensions and made the windshield using a hacksaw to shape the cut-outs:

The windshield worked great and you can see the boiling kettle in the first shot below.

P1090671.jpg P1090672.jpg P1090673.jpg P1090674.jpg P1090675.jpg P1090676.jpg P1090677.jpg P1090678.jpg

I took the above photos in the garage as I wanted to capture the flame shots.

It was a blustery day outdoors and I found that I needed an additional windshield to prevent deflection and potential extinguishing of the silent burner.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

2. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice modification :thumbup: and great looking stove!

3. Afterburner

How pre-heating torch works with that wind shield? From the pictures I was not able to see glass fibre wick for pre-heating. Or maybe I need to get new glasses.:oops:

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @kerophile

:thumbup:!

I have just come back from three weeks on the road, where the windscreen for the Heinze Geniol worked wonderfully. Like you, I thought I should add a wick, so I'm now looking out for the right material.

@Afterburner

If this kind of windscreen is used, you don't use the kerosene pre-heater. I never use it. I prefer to pre-heat with methylated spirits. But if I did want to use the kerosene pre-heater, I would slip the windshield off and put it back on after pre-heating.

Cheers

Tony

5. kerophile

6. Afterburner

Still I am not able to figure out which kind of wick (and spirit cup?) is used on that Geniol stove. :oops::doh:I have tried to burn meths on that cup/dimple that tank forms under the burner but it's too low and heats the tank which doesn't need heating. Couple of times I have used Tilley pre-heating torch to pre-heat Geniol burner but that doesn't have optimal fit to burner, though it works ok.

Have you removed the burner and put 'a normal spirit cup' under it?

Me too, I don't like that pre-heating torch on Geniol stove since it needs lots of pumping to operate.](*,)

7. Tony Press

@Afterburner

To heat the Heinze Geniol stove (without using the pre-heater, or wick), I use 20mm of methylated spirits (alcohol) which I pour into the dimple below the burner. I let it burn to completion.

If I have my windshield, I use it, but if not, I just cup my hands around the flame to keep it close to the burner. It works every time!

Cheers

Tony

8. kerophile

Hi, I took a few more photos to try to answer @Afterburner questions:

First we have a few photos of how the burner was made:

1. A tin-can pattern to get the dimensions correct:

Pic1.jpg

2. The stainless steel donor bottle. The windshield section is approx. 78mm OD and 60mm in height:

Pic2.jpg Pic3.jpg

3. The cut-outs to accommodate the quick igniter and regulator shaft:

Pic4.jpg

4.. A close-up showing the fortunate support of this side of the windshield:

Pic5.jpg

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

9. kerophile

Hi, Next I will show the simple wick arrangement which I use with a meths pre-heat:

First I have a couple of photos with the windshield in place:

P1090679.jpg

P1090680.jpg

Then a few shots to show the glass fibre wick sitting in the priming depression on the top of the tank:
    P1090681.jpg P1090682.jpg P1090683.jpg

Finally some spare wicks if I ever need them:

P1090684.jpg

I prefer to use a meths prime rather than the "blow-torch" quick igniter on this stove as I believe it gives a more balanced heating to the burner. I have heard suggestions that burners can be damaged due to differential expansion of the burner tubes between the "sunny" side and cooler side when using a blow-torch.

My priming method is essentially the same as Tony's:

"Who uses approx 20ml of methylated spirits (alcohol) which he pours into the dimple below the burner. He lets it burn to completion before igniting the burner"

However, I tend to use less meths as the wick produces a more efficient and effective pre-heat IMO.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016
  10. kerophile

Hi, having finished taking the photos I pack away my Heinze/Geniol stove to keep the dust off:

Heinze Geniol Military stove-2.jpg P1090691.jpg P1090692.jpg

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

11. Afterburner

@kerophile & @Tony Press Thank's for detailed info! :thumbup: I need to work out something similar to my Geniol...

12. Tony Press

13. kerophile

Hi Tony, i searched on-line and then lurked in several Cook Shops, but could not find SS stackers with a 75mm diameter.

60, 70, 80 and 100mm OD by 60mm height were all available, but not the magic 75mm.

You were very lucky to hit the magic Heinze/ Geniol 75mm O.D.
    Best Regards,
    George.

14. Afterburner

Gents, thanks again for detailed information. :thumbup:

I think that I'll grab my angle grinder with me go to local junkyard/recycling center and I try to find SS or brass tube with suitable ID. I think that 75 mm ID/OD(?) is standard diameter and should be easy to find. Windscreen made from SS/brass tube will be a bit heavy duty version but it will last forever :D/.

15. Tony Press

@kerophile and @Afterburner

I might have to go back to the shop and stockpile some for other Heinze Geniol fans!

Cheers

Tony

16. monkeyboy

i wonder if a circle of carbon fiber under the burner would make a good wick? carbon fiber is readily available.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2017
  17. Tony Press

@monkeyboy

Carbon fibre would work well. I use fibreglass rope (because I have it).

I have two Heinze Geniols that get regular use - I never use the pre-heater because I always carry methylated spirits and the extra pumping is less enjoyable than the ritual of priming with meths.

Cheers

Tony

18. kerophile

Hi Tony @Tony Press and @monkeyboy @Rangie

I find that one learns something new every day on CCS.

Until Monkeyboy asked about the fixing stay fitted to the burner of the Heinze/ Geniol stove I had never given any real thought to it.

I had worked on the burner in-situ (jet, cleaning needle, rack and regulating spindle ) but never tried to remove it. On looking at my photos I now realise that it fully secures the burner in place, with a spanner- like hex gripping the burner, and the two ends of the stay brazed to the tank. They obviously didn't want the troops changing a burner in the field!

I believe that I could detach the stay from the tank, and remove the burner if I had to, but it would take time, tools and a blowlamp, and be a messy business.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  19. Afterburner

I think that "burner support" will only hold from the nut of the burner. Riser from the tank has another nut that will screw into burner threads. See second picture on this first post: https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/kocher-bund-military-stove.34929/

I would guess that burner change is quite easy... Just unscrew the nut on riser and then burner can be taken out. Burner to "fuel line"/riser mount looks very similar to Optimus 155 except on Heinze burner is not mounted on stove body with an extra nut like in optimus 155.

20. kerophile

Hi @Afterburner . Ah. Now I see!
    Thank you. I now have learnt something new for today.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

21. kerophile

Hi, my Dutch army version of the Heinze/Geniol stove, shown above, has the NATO Stock No. (NSN) marked on the information plate on the inside of the lid of the case:

NSN 7310-12-187-4098.

The designation 7310 indicates it is food cookery, bakery and serving equipment. The No.12 records that it was first listed by West Germany, whilst the final 7 digits are inventory numbers.

Also listed on the instruction plate is the word kooktoestel which translates as Cooking appliance

The intended fuel is listed as F65, which appears to be a NATO designation for a short-lived Diesel/Aviation kerosene fuel mixture used in the early 1980s:

http://www.alu.army.mil/alog/issues/MarApr05/reality.html

Best Regards
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2018