1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter stove...

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by gieorgijewski, Jan 6, 2016.

1. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Poland Subscriber

I had to do that.

2. logen

logen Norway Subscriber

Nice post! Didn't see it until now. As some have seen in this post, I was out testing my Coleman 502 in -17C earlier this week. Can't think of an easier stove in the cold. Pump some pressure, light a match, open regulator, voila! Took a bit longer to get a nice, consistent blue flame, but when I did, it burned like a charm.
    The downside is the weight. Don't know how it is compared to for example the 111!?
    DSC_0308.JPG

3. Montero Poland

Zapisałem się na forum bo to niezłe źródło informacji.
    Pozdrawiam rodaka !8)

4. gieorgijewski

"I My Was też"...
    :content:
    w razie czego pisz na PW

5. zuludog United Kingdom

I have used my Optimus 96 at -15C without any problems.
    Just used the same ordinary paraffin & meths as for summer

6. gieorgijewski

TEST
    selfpressure russian PT-1 and PT-2
    temperature -13 C - no wind
    PT-1 priming once
    PT-2 primig twice
    ------------
    condition - half year ago - "leave as is"
    test passed perfectly
    both starting without any trouble
    DSCF8373.JPG DSCF8374.JPG DSCF8376.JPG DSCF8379.JPG DSCF8381.JPG DSCF8382.JPG DSCF8383.JPG DSCF8385.JPG

7. gieorgijewski

its funny
    after 15 min.
    pt-1 tank temperature -6 C
    pt-2 tank temperature 42 C

8. itchy United States

Interesting data. Thanks.
    Remind me. pt-1 is the 8R style, is that correct?

9. gieorgijewski

we name them "russian 8R clone"
    is very solid - and working on autofuel

10. Koolmoose

Koolmoose United States Subscriber

I attended the AMC - ADK Winter Mountaineering School in 1972. Base camp was in a picnic area on the south side of lake Colden IIRC. On check in day back in Lake Placid the group leader, a woman a few years older than me, was unhappy with my Svea 123. She was championing the Baby Enders. However, the Svea was what I had. (My other 2 stoves at the time were an original Sterno given to me by an older cousin in 1960, and a Coleman 425 that I had gotten for Christmas from my parents in 1963. Although I had used the 425 for winter car camping, neither stove was appropriate for a winter week of climbing).
    I told the group leader that I had successfully used the stove in winter, plus that was all I had. She reluctantly approved the Svea for the week long course. I had an 8" square of hard neoprene as insulation from snow. To start the stove I would put it under my clothes on my belly with just my last layer of underwear b/t the stove and skin. Warmed up it would piddle enough Coleman Fuel to get it started. The little Svea cooked all week and amazed the staff of the school with its level of functionality. We had a stream next to the base camp so we didn't have to melt snow. It was routinely below 0° F during the week and one night the temp dropped to -40° F. (My climbing partner and I both had down winter bags with 12" of loft rated for -40 and I believe we were the only 2 people warm that night).
    I still have all 3 stoves but later, as fortunes improved, I was able to add a 111B and a 22B to add more reliably for winter use. Plus as noted above the larger burners are much better for melting snow.
    My son likes to go ultra lite and likes a butane single burner stove for the winter, even though he has an Omni Fuel, an 8R, and access to my humble collection. Go Figure!
    Steve
    BTW, since that time I've always wanted a Baby Enders but the prices on EBay are astronomical!

11. Bratok_xxl Russian Federation

Nice test. I fire my RecoShmel on LPG - 26С. Tank be cold and frosted some - but i can rise up pressure in tank with pump.

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hey, @Koolmoose ,

Thanks, for sharing your story about the reliability of the SVEA 123! Much appreciated, and I agree, 100%.

As to getting an Enders stove, keep your eyes peeled for them at Swap Meets, Flea Markets, Yard Sales, and private offerings on Craig's List, etc.. My very first one cost me only $20, and it was NOS, and fully complete! I've also found them in the $25-$70 range, and think you can, too, as long as you persistently get out and look for them. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

13. magikbus

magikbus United States Subscriber

Kristian123 said

"At least for camping I would probably prefer a 625 clone due to the weight. Not sure if the Shmel 1 can burn kerosene like the Phoebus, but I guess it does?"

Your Phoebus 625 burns kerosene?? How do you do that? Do you have a source of the kerosene jets for the Phoebus? I'd love to get my hands on a kerosene jet for my Phoebus.
    Stan

14. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

15. magikbus

magikbus United States Subscriber

Thanks for the reminders George. I remember searching and asking a couple of suppliers to send me the kero jets from the larger Optimus and they both talked me out of them when they found out I was wanting them for a Phoebus. I guess they just didn't want to get blamed if they didn't fit. I'll try again.
    The problem is I don't have any of the Optimus stoves that take the larger jets so I can't "mix-n-match" to see how they would work.
    Stan

16. Koolmoose

Koolmoose United States Subscriber

Hi, @DocMark

Thanks for the kind words. In May '16 I retired after 43 years in the mental health / substance abuse field. Taking a break from clinical work I have a new job as an estate sale worker. Stove finds have been slim, but I have landed 2 Coleman lanterns and a new in box 425 all for $10! I help set up the sale and get first dibs on stuff. I have also been watching CL and attending flea markets, so there's hope for Enders in the future.

Steve