Won a Coleman peak 1 multi fuel stove

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by mr optimus, Apr 9, 2017.

1. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi to all lately i have purchased a Coleman duel fuel lantern and a Coleman 533 sportster stove from my local collectors shop.

Being as i only have a Coleman 639 and a very loved 502 gifted to me by Sam a good few years ago now, i wanted to add a few more of these fantastic additions to my collection, and i was over the moon with the lantern and stove i bought recently.

I have been looking on the bay as usual, looking for any Coleman's or any stove lantern that was Listed cheap or low bidding, expecting something that needed a lot of restoration, I was surprised to see a Coleman Peak 1 multi fuel that was up for bidding and only had a few days to go and the bid was just over £3.00.

The condition looks very good the seller stated, that it had not been used for years and now tried to get it going could not get it to run right, and has put it up for sale as for spares and repairs.

I put a max bid in for £20.00 and on the last day it reached my max bid which i was still the highest bidder, i did not increase it as if in the worst case it may need a new generator and valve assembly which could be a expensive project.
    I was surprised when no one else bidded and i was the winner on my max bid.
    Looking at the condition, and how clean the stove looks a filler cap seal or pump washer could be the problem with it not working properly the worst case a new generator, a strip down and fettle i'm sure i'm going to be very pleased with this purchase.
    I am not sure what fuel set up its for yet, but i'm sure it going to be fun what it is

2. monkeyboy

dual fuel stoves can burn un-leaded gas or Crown, Coleman fuel, panel wipe etc.
    better to use clean fuel instead of RUG regular un-leaded gas.

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Mr. Optimus,

Brian, if you end up needing a generator, and especially one for kerosene use, I can help you there. Just let me know, and I'll happily send over whatever you need to get your Multifuel up and running. As an aside, amongst BajaBum's things, I have found, I believe two, Sigg Tourist kits, that were setup for using on Coleman stoves! If you are interested, please let me know, and I'll post some photos for you to peruse. Back when I got my own such kits, I had to file the windscreen, just a tad, in one place, to make it fit on the Multifuel, but that was easy-peasy, and the Coleman/Sigg combo is a very, very good one. Let me know if this interests you, and we can go from there! Congrats on scoring one of my old favorite stoves. We used the Peak 1 Multifuel for most of our first 850 mile PCT trip, and we burned kerosene in it the entire way. Worked a treat, and I'll share a few cold weather tips for using this stove, after you're all fettled and ready to go. Again, well done on scoring it, and have fun fettling it back to life! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Monkeyboy i will only burn Coleman fuel i will be purchasing some Aspen blue, which has no additives which burns very clean, i have decided not to use any unleaded/motor fuel in any of my collection.

Hi Doc many kind thanks for your generous offer, if i do need any parts i will give you a call, being as this is a multi fuel stove and i have two white gas Coleman's i fancy running the peak 1 with Kerosene/Paraffin, please PM me on the Sigg sets they sound fantastic, i will be very happy to agree a price and for such a good cause, you have done a fantastic job on behalf of the sad loss to our friend BejaBum

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Brian,

Sounds good. I'll PM you as soon as I send this off, and will include photos of the set I have in mind. As mentioned, you will have to do a tad of filing, or snipping, to allow the windscreen to work with the Multifuel, as I did. I'll be including some photos of both draughtshields, side by side, so you can see where I had to file, in two places, actually, and about where you will do this on Steve's draughtshield. BTW, I think I actually did the basic cuts with a pair of tin-snips, then did a little filing to make the cuts a little more smooth. Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc