Worn jets/nipple use

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by mr optimus, Apr 29, 2012.

1. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi stovies I can't remember if this has been posted before if so my apologies.
    Here is a good way to use any old enlarged jet/nipples if you seal up the enlarged orifice the old jet can be used to give a fantastic pressure test to any newly fettled/restored standard 1 pint and beyond stove blowlamp.

1335710264-P1010018.gif

1335710327-P1010017.gif

Here in the above pics I have sealed the orifice to the two jets, the small standard stove size I have sweated a piece of brass sheet over the orifice, the second I have just covered the orifice with a blob of solder.
    When a stove has been fettled/restored, the blank jet can be screwed in place, and the stove can then be pumped up to a very good pressure, and then either immersed in water or have soap foam brushed over the stove to check for leaks, this is easier than placing a finger over the jet and is better.
    Using this system the whole stove, and the complete burner assembly can be checked for leaks, there is nothing worse and fettling a stove and putting it back together, and finding a leak in the vapouriser tube which has happened to me on a one pint Veritas, this way the stove can have a full pressure test, prior to polishing it and firing it up, this is my way now I pressure test all stove and blowlamps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. RonPH

Hey Brian, simple yet effective idea to pressure test some stoves.

Ron

3. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Ron it really is effective as you can really put a good amount of air in the tank that would let you show if there was a very slight leak which is good if the tank has stress cracks, and it puts a worn jet in to good use.

4. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

Thanks Brian good tip