00 burner help

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by BradB, Jan 24, 2020.

1. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

In spite of my lack of interest in acquiring more stoves, I could not walk away from an Optimus 00 I found at an antique store. I currently have no other 1 pint stoves, having given up and sold a Primus 210 that I could not stop from leaking at multiple points. I replaced the fuel cap gasket, the NRV pip, the lead riser washer, and both spirit cup/burner washers. There are no leaks and the stove burns well for a while. After 5 or 10 minutes the flame extinguishes. If I clear the jet it burns well again for another 5 or 10 minutes. I removed the burner and heated it with a propane torch and blew air through it with the air compressor. I am not sure about how hot my torch is, but I also don’t want to melt the brazing on the burner, which I don’t think my torch could do. I cleaned the outer burner tubes with abrasive pipe cleaners and nothing came out of them; they appear clean. The inner tubes I can’t get at mechanically. The tank is clean and no residue comes out with cleaning alcohol. I am halfway through the second tank of good fresh, clear k1 kero, but the behavior remains the same. Burn for awhile, extinguish, clear the jet, repeat. Thoughts?

2. Lennart F

Lennart F Sweden Subscriber

Old residues in the tank coming loose one bit at a time?:-k

3. Simes

Simes R.I.P.

I suppose the best advice would be to remove the nipple and either fully clean, ultrasonic, or.fit a known clear one and see how that goes.

I had a Packaway that sufferd the same, I just put.up with the occasional pricking till whatever I was pushing back in finally gave uo and came out.

You sound as though you have eliminated everything else.