105 -a Stove with experience.

Discussion in 'Svea No:105' started by kerophile, Nov 25, 2009.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Yesterday I received a Svea No.105 which I had almost given up hope of ever receiving.

The package was postmarked 19 Oct, and had been hung-up in the Royal Mail system for 35 days, presumably as a result of the strike action by some employees.

I should say that the stove only had to travel from Kent,in the South of England, to the North of Scotland, a distance of around 700 miles.

As some of you will know I have a particular fondness for Svea stoves, and I was keen to acquire another No.105.

Today I had some time to play with my new stove. Here are some photos I took this morning:

Svea-105.-St.311-1.jpg

Svea-105.-St.311-2.jpg

Svea-105.-St.311-3.jpg

Svea-105.-St.311-4.jpg

Svea-105.-St.311-5.jpg

Svea-105.-St.311-6.jpg

Svea-105.-St.311-7.jpg

Svea-105.-St.311-8.jpg

Svea-105.-St.311-9.jpg

The 105 would originally have been fitted with a silent burner, its sister stove the Svea 106 had the roarer burner. I was going to change it back to a silent burner stove but it performs so well I might just leave it.

I had been in correspondence with the seller, regarding the delay, but had not yet asked for a refund as he seemed a really genuine and nice person. I asked him earlier today about the background to a stove which had obviously been well looked after.

Here is his reply:
    "I cannot now recall whether the stove was new or secondhand when I bought it
    round about 1957. In that year I started competing in motorcycle trials and
    scrambles and I have vivid memories of warming up cans of soup in the back
    of my van after a hard days riding, often in pouring rain. I am very pleased
    to hear the stove will join others in your collection".

So there you have it...a stove with experience, which if only it could talk, would be able to tell me where it spent the past 35 days!

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

2. Bom Bom Bom Bom

Great flame there Kerophile, lovely stove.

Yep, wouldn't it be great to hear the stories stoves could tell. Nice to be able to get a bit of background on one for a change though.

Cheers, Graham.

3. nagant

what a furnace! i like the robust pump knob. is that a svea trait? U.S. mail has been very consistent (good!) for me. but i still am waiting for the toy car i ordered from a cereal company in 1973 :p .

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, this is certainly a powerful burner, as you can see from the photos. The reserve cap for the tank is "parked" on the end of the pump knob, which probably makes it look thicker or more robust than you will see on many classic stoves.

Another nice feature of the Svea 105/106 filler cap is the captive air-release screw. Slightly more expensive to make, I guess, but makes the screw much less less likely to be lost!

This burner is very controllable and simmers well. I made my morning Turkish coffee, slowly, on this stove.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

looks like it was well worth the wait :D

6. Lance

George/SVEA/Kerophile, Naaaaaah i'd have never made the connection. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was holding it for you George, didn't want you to spend the weekend wasting your time polishing and scrubbing and polishing and such. Better you spend it making tea or coffee and cooking breaky on your other stoves. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lance

7. mbechtel

I love stoves with good honest wear, I find it attractive! It makes you just want to fire it up after climbing out of your tent on a cold morning and get the coffee going.
    The Radius 17 I recently acquired took 72 days to arrive from the U.K. Both the seller and I had given up hope. When it arrived I noticed a large sticker on it stating "Surface Delivery Only", even though the seller had paid for airmail. Some observant mail clerk must have seen the contents (Primus Stove) listed on the label and thought it was flammable. I was delighted to find it on my porch one day after writing it off!

8. Pitsligo

VERY pretty!

Let's see. 700 miles divided by 35 days equals 20 miles per day, or a little under one mile per hour. I've heard of "snail mail", but I never thought it was to be taken literally...

Alex

9. norham

:D/ ummm, Svea 105.....