111 and soot

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by JP2, Mar 5, 2019.

1. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

hi all
    Last August I did receive my first Optimus 111 with the idea that I was going to make a new one with it. So before to open it I did a try to know more about my new stove that has been store for 50 years.

Not to bad after all
    IMG_20180817_205525.jpg

Then I did order 2 full kits to fettle my news baby. Meanwhile I did open up the stove and wash everything including inside the burner raise with 30 min citric acid, a bath.
    So far so good
    3 days ago, I could not hold my self to try my stove even if it was -22 c outside. I wanted to know if it was true they could work well at low temperatures. So I did bring my stove outside and 2 hrs later !!!???!!!! A good prime
    Here we go
    IMG_20190227_181504.jpg
    Super, as you can see everything go well but I don't like the hot spot.

NOW, This morning I have decided to fire up the stove inside to boil some water and make some final adjustments and then I have discovered a build up of black soot on its pans support plus some on the base case and nothing under the pot I was using to boils water. Moreover the soot is dry and the flame seem to be ok and the jet is not plugged. One more thing, I did not see any black smoke. ???!!?? And now the burner is all black of soot too.
    See yourself
    IMG_20190304_080824.jpg
    Question- .Is it possible that that soot or carbon come front the inside the burner (now) warm by small pieces after 2 clean up and rince and now I should do a heat & whench?
    If yes, how do you do a heat & wrench on a regulator burner as the 111? I could not find any indication today except an ink that say it is a bit different. Any Idea?
    Thank in advance for your help.

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @JP2

1. What fuel are you using in the 111?

2. What fuel are you priming the stove with?

3. What is the distance between the top of the burner and the pot?

Try this before you do anything else: clean all the soot off the external components of the stove and pot, and boil again.

Also: I get the “hot spot” on the pot rest. It’s best to run with a pot on.

Cheers

Tony

3. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

1- Kero
    2- Alcohol
    3- I IMG_20190304_210330.jpg

Thank Tony

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Ok. Clean and start another boil and see if the soot reappears.

Tony

5. Tron

Tron Subscriber

Can you even burn kerosene without soot? I have never had that kind of success. My pots and kettles are clean and free of soot, but there is always a little soot on the stove and the burner. I think the 111 is worse than my old "discus" stoves in this respect, the "discus" burners seem to keep reasonably clean.

Tron

6. threedots New Zealand

Hello @JP2.
    Your stove looks to be burning well with no obvious signs of an over rich flame and/or a vapour leak from the regulating spindle. Those are the usual things to look for first.

Soot on the burner could be the result of the first firing since you gave it a "bath". You may have residues burning off the burner that were left behind after you had cleaned the burner.

Water in your preheating alcohol can cause burner sooting as well. Also when you preheat in cold damp air, that can cause sooting while preheating.
    As @Tony Press suggests, give it a brush down and dry tissue wipe to to clean up the burner and try again.

An other possibility can be -Because the water you are going to boil is very cold to begin with, there could be condensation(water) running down and under the pot that can cause carbon build up under the pot and on the pot supports until the pot surface gets hotter than the surrounding air.

Hot spots on the pot support comes from the flame nearest to it and is normal and nothing to worry about. Putting a pot on top does help to disperse the heat.

Cheers, John

7. Radler Switzerland

At stoves with pot supports, which are crossing the gas stream under the pot, some soot is quite normal. The pot support creates a gas-turbulence which disturbs the burning process.
    A local lack of oxygen makes soot (C = carbon) instead carbon dioxide (CO2).

This is the reason, why pot supports usually are made radial to the jet.

Regards
    Radler

8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Agree, always get sooty supports. As described they are in the incomplete burn front so will collect carbon.

9. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Update
    Yesterday I did try to fire up my 111 and it was a no-go. Nipple plugged and dirt.
    Today, I have had time to open it and did 5 head @ quench plus a hit @nock
    IMG_20190306_183330.jpg
    Second pic , I did it again and got noting on the hit & nock
    IMG_20190306_191024.jpg

So I think that the first Time I wash the burner, I should have go with heat & quench but because the burner may be difficult to get and never did it before, I went for the easiest and sure way.
    Good thing about it is , I Did it today and know for sure that it is clean now. Yes

I will fire up my stove tomorrow and let you know the results.
    Thank you for your input.

10. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi, let you know that today I did fire up my 111 without any problem. It has been easier to get it started and less noisy too.
    Thank again