111 international

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by 1966dave, Dec 31, 2014.

1. 1966dave

Good day all...and happy new year as it soon shall be here.

So I have an opportunity to pick up a 111 international. My understanding is it is a 3 fuel model. It needs a few bits to make it complete...inner and our burner heads and spindle. Can I source these parts? Should I walk away? I have a 111 gas (love it) but would like a kero silent or roarer and if complete....this would suffice. As always, I await your input.

Cheers

Dave

2. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

I would definitely acquire that one. It's one of the best. It will definitely burn kerosene, white gas, and alcohol (with the right jet). The inner and out caps should be obtainable and perhaps even the control knob, but these are minor things that can be had. I'm sure there are members here that have those parts or extras.

It's also known as the 111T or 111 Hiker in later years by Optimus.

sam

3. magikbus

I also have the 111T on my "collect" list. What about the quality of the newer 111 hikers? Does it stand up to comparison with the old original 111T?

Any opinions?
    Stan

4. 1966dave

Stan...I thought it was discus stoves...but ...lol

If it goes with the 111 it will burn kero and I will be happy. I think I have a regulator/spindle/knob thing that will work. I tend to prefer older but know nada about how they may or may not stack up against newer. I'm in acquisition mode...I have dark rings around my eyes...and I desperately need sleep...

5. magikbus

That's my primary goal Dave, but like most "men of all seasons" I have a gifted ability to be able to multi-task on more than one affliction/interest.

My 111 is such a good runner that it's presently in first place, just like Rudolph and leads my Westy in it's future (it's winter right now) journeys. The only thing that could improve it would be if it could burn rum scented alcohol.;)

Has anyone "converted" a 111 to burn alcohol?
    Stan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Hi Stan,

It's just a matter of changing the jet to the 'A' jet and putting the air restrictor in the burner tube. I've done it and found that it burns adequately but not as good as kerosene or white gas. It certainly takes a lot more liquid to produce a boil, I believe about double the fuel liquid amount. If anything, it does work.

My opinion, but I prefer using kerosene in the 111T and white gas in a Coleman stove.

sam

7. magikbus

Thanks Sam, I can figure out getting an "A" jet for it, but I'll have to research the "air restrictor".
    Stan

8. itchy

Stan, if by 111 you mean the 111 international (111T) that is all you need to do. Converting a 111 would be a whole different story of course.

I agree with Sam, running the 111 international on alcohol works but really only make good sense under certain conditions -- in a boat maybe, or if you operate a still :content: , or for the fun of it of course.

9. magikbus

Nope, I mean running an original 111 kero only stove on alcohol.
    Stan

10. Odd

Not a good idea!
    It's built for one fuel, and one fuel only ... Kerosene
    Just as the 111B is built for Bensin only...

If you by some strange coincidence NEED / ARE FORCED to burn Alcohol - get a 111T !

11. Wim

Wim Subscriber

[-X Drink the alcohol, and get a kero burning 111! :roll:

Seriously now, the 111 family of stoves (and its forebear, the 11) works safest on kero, and does so like a real champ! If you'd like to have an alcohol burner or for that matter, a gasoline one, buy one that was specifically designed to burn alco or gaso. Some of the modern multi fuel stoves are designed with all safety precautions in mind, but still, they mostly perform perfect on one type of fuel but can also digest other types satisfactorily. Sometimes one just simply has to make a choise! :content:

All the best for 2015,

Wim

12. magikbus

Are there any dissenting opinions? Or should I give up on the 111 burning alcohol idea?
    Stan

13. 1966dave

I think all you need is the correct burner, with the alky jet and there is a restricter of some sort. The tank I think would be irrelevant.

Dave

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

There is much to read here about the making of a restrictor.

Link
    Link
    Link
    Link

Ken in NC

15. dday

dday Subscriber

Hi Stan,

If I am correct, you are talking about trying to run alcohol in a standard roarer style 111 kero stove? If that is correct, I do not believe you will have any success. The only 111 variant that is capable of burning alcohol reasonably well is the 111T Hiker with the silent style burner using a alcohol jet, alcohol cleaning needle and lastly an alcohol air restrictor.

Dave,
    I have several sets of used pot supports too for that 111T and would be happy to send you a set or two.

Dan

16. magikbus

Thanks for the reply Dan, so far it's 100% NO Don't try it.

Hmmmmm..I sense a pattern here!
    Stan