111T - picked up locally (Unfired)

Discussion in 'Optimus No:111 (all variants) + later Hiker & Hike' started by HaakonJ, Oct 6, 2019.

1. afoton

I think it was as part of the European Economic Area agreement, if so 1. january 1994.

2. HaakonJ

This thread turned out to be quite interesting. I tried to do a little research, but couldn't find much information on this ban of gasoline and alcohol for camping stoves.

I have never sold anything off eBay before, but posted this stove a week ago. I was shocked to see that it sold for $499 + shipping :shock::shock: I had no idea these were sought after this much, or maybe I just got lucky? There were quite a few bidders, 5 of which had at least one bid at $300 or more. I would probably never have been able to sell it for an asking price of $300 in Norway. The buyer was located in Germany.

Well, now I gotta go find my other 111's and list them on eBay immediately! :lol:

3. Colin Geer

Oh my, that's a thing of beauty!

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Were alky stoves also banned in Norway? Hadn't heard that...no Trangias?

5. HaakonJ

@Ed Winskill
    I believe it was related to stoves running on a pressurized tank of fuel. My dad gifted me his old Trangia, which he bought in the 80's. Never heard they were banned.

6. afoton

Trangia is one of the most used camp stoves ever in Norway. And that is the reason most of the camp stove accident has been with Trangia.

7. Lennart F

Lennart F Sweden Subscriber

In the type approval days in Norway - Trangia had special burner lids telling exactly what Trangia models it was allowed for, at first only 25, later 27 and 23, maybe at last 28 but I've not found that yet.
    The ban was on civilian sale of stoves without type approval - the military used Fuhrmeister 8 and Optimus 111T with gasoline as well as kerosene.