111T won't simmer... Or run to empty (?!).

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Martin Brooke, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Martin Brooke

Martin Brooke Norway Subscriber

My ex-Norwegian army 111T burns pretty well (though I'd prefer me blue and less purple.... (See pics)
    . IMG_20200809_214621.jpg IMG_20200809_214858.jpg
    IMG_20200809_214500.jpg
    I'm running it on Kerosene (not sure what the last person used, but what I drained out was clear, slightly "thick" and more or less odourless so I'm thinking lamp oil.)

The jet is new, so is the needle, and the regulator spindle. Pressure is good. All parts have been washed and scoured.

BUT:
    Despite a fairly healthy flame in the "mid-range" of the regulator when I try to regulate down to simmer it turns into a yellow flame without power. ... And similarly if I open it towards the needle rising it turns yellow. The spindle is quite stiff to operate... The original was badly worn with a "ring" round the tip. I have another 111t which is beautifully controllable (though with more power (pot stands quickly glow red!) and a purer shade of blue), so it's not operator error I don't think..... Any suggestions as to the problem????

ALSO:
    I've read about running a stove like this dry, and I thought I'd burn off a couple of tanks to try and help clean out the system. But this stove stops working somewhere just under halfway down the tank (the pipes inside the tank are visible above the fuel).... The blue flame ceases and although I can hear hissing there's nothing coming out that I can light!!!.....(though still plenty pressure). Anybody have any feedback on that? If I add fuel to the tank it'll fire up.

Thanks for all input.... I've searched for answers so posting is plan B. There always seems to be help to be found among the members here.

Regards, Martin.

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Martin Brooke

You said that at half full the fuel pipes were visible above the fuel. That would be very odd.

Don’t worry too much at this stage about the colour of the flame. If your stove does not leave soot on the pans you are ok.

1. If you are having problems regulating the fuel flow the three areas to concentrate on are the cleaning rack and needle, the control valve, and the fuel pickup.

Do these in order. You might solve the problem at 1.

1. Is your cleaning needle set correctly in the burner? Check that the needle doesn’t appear in the jet too early or too late in the adjustment of the control wheel.

2. Remove the nipple and pricker rack. Take the control spindle and packing nut off the burner. Make sure the cone on the control spindle is clear of burrs. If you have fine grinding paste, put some on the cone and open and shut the cone against the burner about 50 times. Then flush the burner with carburettor cleaner. Replace parts but use a bit more graphite in te packing nut so it’s not too tight to turn the control wheel.

3. Take the burner off and clear the fuel line and brass gauze.

These stoves are great, so it should come right.

Cheers

Tony

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@Martin Brooke ,

Martin,

Tony (@Tony Press ) is right on the money with his suggestions! I've found quite a few Optimus stoves, with their cleaning needles set wrong, over the many years I've been collecting, and using them. I generally set my needles down 4-5 clicks, even though Optimus recommended setting it 3-4 clicks down. I've found that, for most stoves, that is not enough to offer a really good simmer. Might work for you, too. Some stoves will handle 5 clicks down, and some will not. So, go for 5 clicks, but if that doesn't work, reset the needle to 4 clicks down. I'm betting your flame will improve, as well as your simmering. Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. Martin Brooke

Martin Brooke Norway Subscriber

Thanks for that... As an experiment I removed the pricker completely but that didn't help alone. (I saw someone testing a burner that way and it seemed to work). I'll give the other things a go and come back to the pricker.

... And my mistake about the fill level... When it stopped last i drained it.. There wasn't much more than an egg cup full of fuel in there, so running "dry" isn't possible, but it wasn't nearly as much as it looked like peering down into the tank. .