Primus 96 cyclists outfit inspired by 1937 original

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by parramethtrol, May 16, 2010.

1. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

Hi All

just a quick recap below then on with the pics

the full post is here for those who missed it first time around Link

here are some pics of my new cyclists outfit i had to take the pics under fluro lighting so the colours might be a bit off

the straps on the case have been made to fit the hanging loops on a brooks saddle also a removable strap has been added to secure the edge of the bag to either the seat or head tube to stop the bag swinging about while riding when it is mounted as originally intended to the crossbar
    new style bikes have a more compact frame design and it won't fit hence the saddle and handlebar mounting option if you have room on your bars

here it is in honey/tan the real colour is much nicer than in the pics as the fluro lighting has added a colour cast

you can see it has been made to take the original mounting board
    i intend making up a new one for each bag but i will mount the legs spanner and prickers on the reverse

it even has a special pocket for the BD midi cap :D/ :D/

notice the heavy duty inner pouch to protect the stove from the rest of the parts and hopefully any knocks it might get on my travels

1273959913-DSCF0875_phatch.jpg 1273959926-DSCF0876_phatch.jpg 1273959937-DSCF0877_phatch.jpg 1273959950-DSCF0878_phatch.jpg 1273959964-DSCF0879_phatch.jpg 1273959980-DSCF0880_phatch.jpg 1273959998-DSCF0881_phatch.jpg

being a bit of a gear tart i thought i'd better order one in black for my other bike
    in these pics you will notice it has 4 straps on the back, the inner two are for mounting to a brooks conquest with no hanging loops
    the outer straps are for mounting to the frame the outer straps also fit a Brooks saddle with hanging loops

1273960487-DSCF0882_phatch.jpg 1273960504-DSCF0883_phatch.jpg 1273960527-DSCF0885_phatch.jpg 1273960548-DSCF0886_phatch.jpg

here the black bag is mounted to the saddle using the inner straps
    1273960605-DSCF0889_phatch.jpg

here is a pic of the full kit that i have bought for the new bike :whistle: 8)

i am going to get another of the smallest ones but without hanging straps so that i can carry a stove repair kit with me ie nrv tool spare nrv couple of legs a burner plate basket vapo tube
    windscreen spare fuel lid and reserve cap so that i am covered in case of loss

1273960728-DSCF0891_phatch.jpg

and here are a few of the saddlebags so you can get an idea of the colours

1273960962-DSCF0893_phatch.jpg 1273961500-DSCF0895_phatch.jpg

thanks Jim Ross and Ron again and also a very big thanks to Gary as well as the BD midi cap is the icing on the cake :thumbup:
    and i would really like to thank Kelvin for the leather work,
    he has done me proud, his work is excellent i only hope my pics can show the craftsmanship that has gone into these
    for the prices he charges he won't get rich but he deserves to have many happy customers :thumbup: thanks Kelvin i'm really really happy with my haul

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Knight84

Sweet!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the pictures Bill? :clap:

Is Kelvin taking orders?

Cheers,
    Jeff

3. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Jeff
    i told him to keep the measurements handy as there might be a bit of interest from other stovies ;) :lol:
    and he said he had so yes i'm pretty sure he will be
    i wouldn't of bought so much off him but figured why buy plastic when i could have leather for less

4. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

WOW! The leatherwork is awesome!

sam

5. RonPH

Bill very nice leatherwork indeed :thumbup: So you have 3 96's since you have three of those leather cases which you can use every other day ;)

One of these days I will own one of those leather for my 96 too!

Ron

6. Gordon F

They're lovely Bill, and go well with the saddle.

There seems to be side pockets on one of the photos, but I can't see them on the others, or am I mistaken?

I bet there's a lovely smell when you're surrounded by all three.

7. teletim

Hi Bill

Very nice ,nice thick leather and well made these would will last anyone a good life time.
    It's hard to find craftsman to make items like these.
    They remind me of the bags you see on Harley Davidson's.

I can see you are going to find it hard to resist going for the matching leather cycling shoes and shorts :lol: :lol:

Cheers
    Tim

8. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Gordon the ones with side pockets are proper saddlebags, i had been looking for a saddlebag for the new bike build and saw them advertised so i asked for one in honey/tan
    a Brooks plastic/imitation leather one is getting on for £50 plus post and only in Black :roll: , i also asked for a large tool bag in honey too which he knocked a good few quid off as i bought the saddlebag at the same time
    once the saddlebag and tool bag arrived and i saw the quality i emailed him with a link to the original thread and asked if he could make me one of the 96 outfits but i wanted it a little bigger as the original is a tight fit and not very thick.
    the silent damper pocket and the leather storage place for the tank were his idea :!:
    i just asked for a strap on the board for the tank and BD cap and he made it the way it is

as for the smell of leather the last time i smelt leather like it i was in Germany in the Stuttgart branch of Beate Uhse :oops: :whistle: :lol: don't ask :oops:

as of yet everyone has been to polite to ask the cost of the stove bags i paid £33 each plus post which i thought was a bargain, especially considering he made the black one with the extra straps and buckles so that i can use it on both
    types of saddle

if anyone is interested in one send me a PM and i'll send you his email as i don't feel comfortable posting it here, i know with his normal sales he is happy to ship pretty much worldwide but it's best you contact him direct yourself

atb Bill

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. haknuts

I am rewinding this old thread because @parramethtrol seems to be inactive. Is there someone who has contact info on "the leather guy"?

10. ally

ally Subscriber

lovely! - I am lucky enough to own a couple cycle outfits and both of the bags are rotting away

:)