1872 Hauck and Son, fettled & revisited.

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Doc Mark, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Some years ago, I posted a thread on my Hauck and Son Meths stove, Patent date, 1872. At that time, I'd tried to fire it up, and got a very weak flame, which did not look proper to me, but which was mostly blue, so I moved on and let things be the way they were. Here's how it looked, burning in the center of the photo, amongst some of my other Meths stoves.

1429473132-DSCN2042.JPG

And, here are the rest of the shots that I originally posted, just to remind you all of what this stove is, and the items with which it came to me: Stove, pot supports, tinned and lidded pot, pot handle, burner, what I thought was a candle, and a snuffer. The new shots will follow those original photos I posted here.

1429473236-DSCN1496.JPG

1429473252-DSCN1497.JPG

1429473278-DSCN1498.JPG

1429473301-DSCN1500.JPG

1429475014-DSCN1501.JPG

1429473351-DSCN1502.JPG

I felt certain that the small blue flame I was originally getting, HAD to be better, and decided to see if I could fettle this stove back to what I thought it's performance would have originally been! When I removed the wick from the burner, I instantly knew that it was deteriorated, and worthless! So, replacing that was the first order of business.

1429473487-DSCN5342.JPG

1429473541-DSCN5344.JPG

The original wick looked far too short, too, so I decided to cut one that, when rolled up, would fit all the way into the top part of the burner, as well as filling the bottom part, in order to better wick Meths up to what appeared to be the burner holes.

1429473832-DSCN5346.JPG

1429473863-DSCN5347.JPG

Here's how it fit, once cut to the proper length.

1429473913-DSCN5348.JPG

So, let's give it a try, and see if this works!

1429473951-DSCN5349.JPG

Holy Smokes!!! So, THAT'S how this little stove is supposed to burn!! Up until this moment, I'd only seen three very tiny and weak little flamelets out of those top holes, and they went out almost as soon as I'd seen them. What I had always thought was the actual stove flame, was, in point of fact, the priming flame!!! So, other than for a few seconds, this little stove has not worked at all, since I got it, many long years ago! Let's see a few more flame shots, shall we?

1429474114-DSCN5350.JPG

1429474140-DSCN5351.JPG

So, filled with the warmth of success, I also filled the original tin pot, and put it on the little Hauck and Son, to see what it would do. I'll tell you what it did: The pot leaked like a sieve at the bottom of the tin edge seam!! :shock: :doh:

1429474262-DSCN5353.JPG

After cleaning up the mess all the leaking water caused, I decided to grab a small Coleman Exponent pot set, and give it another try.

1429474353-DSCN5354.JPG

Ahhhh, much better! I had put just shy of 8 ounces of water, or about 200ml of cold water in the pot.

1429474465-DSCN5356.JPG

1429474568-DSCN5358.JPG

So, how did the little stove do? Remarkably well, which was a huge surprise to me, Folks!! I had not expected such a rapid and amazing result!!

1429474651-DSCN5362.JPG

WOW!! That is a wonderful boil, and it only seemed to take a minute, or so, to accomplish!!

As I've run out of room, please stay tuned for Part 2 of this report, which I will post just as soon as this first set of photos have loaded on CCS. Thanks for checking in on my Hauck and Son fettle, and more almost immediately.......

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hauck and Son fettle, Part II:

I decided to see how the flame snuffer worked, in practice, and it actually works very well, indeed!

1429475596-DSCN5364.JPG

Simply slide the brass snuffer down over the burner, being careful not to burn you little puddies in the meantime, and VOILA, it works perfectly!

1429475659-DSCN5365.JPG

Flushed with success, so far, I decided to check out how the item that I'd always thought was a candle, to see if and how it functioned. Right away, I saw that instead of being a candle, it was more of a simmering/warming device!

1429475758-DSCN5366.JPG

1429475781-DSCN5367.JPG

Tests soon showed that this really is not a good enough flame to keep something warm, much less function as a simmering device. So, I checked out the round wick inside it to see what it could tell me.

1429475886-DSCN5369.JPG

Nasty little bugger, that. So, I gave replacing it a go, using 100% cotton mop string as a wick. That worked better, and it only took a few "trim and try" experiments to get what looked like it would work, and in testing worked very well.

1429476023-DSCN5370.JPG

1429476064-DSCN5371.JPG

1429476390-DSCN5375.JPG

1429476415-DSCN5376.JPG

And, the simmer shot. It's nice to know, after all these years, just what this little device actually is, and see that, after fettling, it performs it's task admirably!

1429476490-DSCN5380.JPG

In the end, I am much impressed by this little Meths powerhouse, if I may call it that!! All I need is to dig through my goodies, and find a nice little cook pot with which to pair it, and this would be an excellent little day hike, or even an overnight stove. I'll have to do some light cooking on it, and see how it would handle that. Thanks, again, for checking out my neat little Hauck and Son Meths stove, my friends! I'm quite proud of it, actually, and glad I finally decided to fettle it back to life! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi Doc

That old wick was on it's last legs :shock: & the swapout with a new one has made all the difference looks to be a right litte performer now :D/ , well done & good to see such a vibrant little meths burner , the simmer stick is working well too :D :thumbup:

Excellent fettle & post , well done you :clap: :clap: :clap: :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Keep well , Stu :D :thumbup:

4. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Well done Mark!
    A bit of time, patience and know-how has seen this little beauty going well again.

Alec.

5. keeper_of_the_flame

This really is an excellent report of a little big stove, Doc. Brilliant pictures. Thanx for sharing this historic piece.
    regards Peter

6. 1966dave

Sweet little piece of history that...and working well!

Dave

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Whoa! Job well done Doc.

You captured how it sprang back into life perfectly in your photo essay.

A Rip Van Winkle moment for that old stove, asleep for all those years, forced to wake up, rubbing the sleep out of its eyes and taking stock of the 21st century.

Magical.

John

8. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Excellent post on a fine stove. Nice fettle too. You got that burner nailed.

Sam

9. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hello Doc

You know that I also love these very old alcohol burners.
    After being fettled, your Hauck & Sons stove is a real 'eye-opener'.
    It burns so well and the flame pattern looks very attractive.

It was great that you found out that the 'candle' was a simmering device.

The whole stove kit is a little marvel!

Thank you for taking your time and giving us a wonderful pictorial story.

10. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Hi Doc brilliant documented post, what a very nice collection of spirit stoves, they really look fantastic and very effective.

All so Do well done on a first class fettle, the wick on the Hauk was well shot most proberbly caused by allowing the stove to run dry.
    Once again Doc well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Good Morning, Guys,

Many thanks for all the kind words and comments about this neat little stove! I really appreciate everything that you all kindly posted, and am touched by those comments.

Like you all, I was really almost stunned by the quality and power of that first bloom of flame out of this little stove! In fact, I made an exclamation out loud as soon as the flame bloomed!! WOW!! I look forward to playing around with this Hauck and Son Meths stove in the future, and tried to find what I think might be the perfect pot for it, yesterday. Alas, I came up short, as I cannot find my big box of "extra" cook sets! :shock: :oops: ](*,) :lol: :lol: It's down in the Hobbit Hole, someplace, but right now, I don't have the time to dig for it. What I have in mind, is the smallest pot in a three pot set of Sigg InoxAL cook pots. I got them all at a big A16 sale (a popular backpacking store in San Diego and LA) many, many years ago. The 1L pot, which is the one I have in mind, regularly sold for $27.00, but was on sale for $11.95. The other two pots, 1.5L, and 2.2L, for similar savings, and we've used that 1.5 size pot as our favorite cook pot for many, many years! Black aluminum on the outside, bonded to stainless steel on the inside, these are simply wonderful cook pots. I'm going to try the little pot with the Hauck and Son, but realize that it's probably too heavy for that little stove, and a bit of over-kill on the pot!! ;) :D

We have lots of other pot sets, too, so I'm sure one will end up working well with the Hauck and Son, and when that happens, I post photos and a report here. Thanks, again, for all your very kind comments, Mates! Like you, I'm very enamored by the lovely flame pattern on the Hauck and Son stove, and think that, combined with it's other goodies, it is a wonderfully effective little stove. Add in an aluminum windscreen, and I think this stove can perform well in the field. We'll see...... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. gieorgijewski

gieorgijewski Subscriber

this is - OLD ALCOHOLISED BRASS MAGIC...

13. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Thank you Doc,
    An impressive presentation, a magic stove and fettle. I learned a lot. Of the alcohol burners I esp like ones offered as a (camp) kit. Your post has now added a similar kit to what is now my short wish list. +1 with you I [like] flame pattern(s) and it's other goodies/options. I'm +1 liking your suggestion that it's effective with potential as a USER in the field. IMO those offered as a contained portable kit ARE by-design for travelling outdoor use.

A few questions you might answer in a future post: I'm curious re scale, what is diameter and height of original pot?
    I'm not familiar but it does seem like this Brooklyn example IS a standout among these kits. Does it now top your own list of similar stoves or close to it? I AM impressed with this one and would like to hear of another comparable example (IF there is one) that you find equally impressive? (what might it closely compare to in your opinion) thx again omc

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, OMC,

That little tin (lead soldered) pot measures 4 1/8" across its bottom, and 2 1/8" high, with lid in place. Small little pot, it is, for sure.

In terms of Meths stoves, I really love most of them. But, this unique and interesting example holds a special fascination for me. Not only does the actual history of this stove, being used by US Cavalry Officers in the 1870's, intrigue me, but the flame pattern, and excellent design of this Hauck and Son stove is very, very lovely, and the little stove works like a champ!! Yes, it's special to me, in more ways than just one.

Thanks, again, to everybody for your great and kind comments on this stove. By the way, it cost me a whole $10, at "that same old swap meet"!! In truth, I've never again seen one of these stoves that is complete. That's very intersting, in itself. In my opinion, there is not another Meths stove, of similar vintage, that compares to it. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, All,

I had always "remembered" that the little Hauck and Son stove cost me $10, but this morning, I located my first stove inventory sheets, which detailed the first 78 stove that I bought, way back when! #78 was purchased from an older couple at a garage sale, and it was a brand new Primus 71L, with instructions, and cleaning pin, which I got for $8.00!!!! That makes me laugh, when I see what such an item would bring on today's market! But, the other neat thing is that I found my original notes from purchasing the Hauck and Son stove kit. That one I bought on July 9th, 1989, and the price was not $10, as I had thought, but actually $12.50!! Did I get screwed?!!??!! ;) ;) :lol: :lol: In any case, it was fun to find my original stove inventory sheets. Now, they are faded, and a bit hard to read, from edge wearing, and such. I need to scan them, or just type them into a Word document, so I can save that information for the future. Fun, that's for sure!! It's amazing to see what stoves I got, and when, and their conditions, and what I paid for them. Just thought you might find that interesting. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

16. ally

ally Subscriber

just wow!

:)

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Friends,

Thanks, @ally , and all for your kind comments! I've loved this little stove since the day that I found him, and love him even more, now that he's working like new!!

Doc