1892-96 Primus

Discussion in 'Primus Early Models (un-numbered)' started by Christer Carlsson, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

Made after Hjorth became involved in 1892, but before the little stylized stove was inserted into the text PRI-MUS after 1896. The removable pump tube with its old style NRV also indicate this year to be the last probable one of manufacture.

The burner is not original, and the pan ring is of a slightly later date.

Also note how the common wear at the centre of the pump cap has been fixed sometimes during this stoves history of more than 120 year, by inserting a (rather crude) sleeve to narrow down the enlarged hole again.

IMG_1790.jpg IMG_1792.jpg IMG_1793.jpg IMG_1794.jpg IMG_1795.jpg IMG_1798.jpg IMG_1800.jpg IMG_1801.jpg IMG_1802.jpg IMG_1804.jpg IMG_1805.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Glorious, Christer.

Agreed, not the neatest repair to the pump cap, but restoring a smooth pump action mattered enough to someone to make the effort, getting their priorities right.

John

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thank you for posting this very nice old stove.

Cheers

Tony

4. Christer Carlsson

Thanks!
    Really old stoves always draw my attention, and I can't keep my hands off them when I see them.:lol:

John, getting their priorities right is the word.
    After all, these were utility goods, and function was the important thing.
    I just think details like that add flavour to the item. It show a bit of history, not just a dead object.

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I agree, Christer.

6. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@Christer Carlsson another fabulous old stove:thumbup:. And, looking at the handful of these 1892-1896 period Primus No.1s on the gallery, here is a question I'm wondering about: would you agree that those with the peg-spanner pump tube assembly like this one, a feature apparently shared with the few pre-1892 examples, are most probably from towards the earlier end of the 1892-6 window, and those with the large hexagon fitting from closer to 1896? And why would that change have been made? Did the peg-spanner arrangement cause problems servicing the earlier stoves? or was it more a production cost issue? It is interesting that Aetna in Germany kept on using the peg-spanner system much longer than Primus.
    Ian.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  7. Christer Carlsson

Ian, that is exactly my idea of this. That the hex pumps are later than the peg spanner ones, and thus probably closer to 1896.
    There are other things that indicate this, and perhaps even help to separate the periods even further, e.g how the Bahco text at the bottom of the tanks are presented (or not).
    I was actually thinking of compiling the ones I have from this era and compare with eachother to see tendencies like this.

I'm not sure why the hex was introduced. It is absolutely easier to service since you don't need a special tool. Even if a peg spanner might have been delivered with the models using that one, it could easily get lost after a while. Which the scratch marks on many of those from using the wrong tool prooves...

Nyberg made his first stove called Victoria around 1894, and that one used a hex fitting for the pump tube.
    Primus (J.V. Svenson) and Nyberg were in competition at this time since the former started to make blowlamps (which was Nyberg's "thing") and the latter responded by making stoves.
    Perhaps the Primus/Bahco-people thought that they should change to the hexagon fitting of Nyberg stoves at this time, just to annoy him since they in their turn thought that Nyberg was stealing ideas from them...
    Yeah, I know. It's very far-fetched. But an intriguing thought.:lol:
    If so, the hex should have been introduced around 1894.

8. igh371

Christer, I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting the presentation of your observations and thoughts.

9. Christer Carlsson

Thanks Ian. Let's see if this ever will happen.
    I have a small queue of other old stoves I really should post first. A Lux, among others. ;)

10. igh371

Here is a good cross-sectional diagram of one of these pre-1896 stoves, complete with elemental side view of both the old type NRV and the pre-hex fitting threaded pump insert. (Sourced from a leaflet produced by the British import agents Condrup who were still using this illustration some 15 years after it should have been superseded!)

DSC07174.JPG

DSC07183.JPG

@Christer Carlsson