1911 PRIMUS 230 OUTFIT

Discussion in 'Primus No:230' started by kaw550red, Dec 28, 2009.

1. kaw550red

kaw550red RIP

This is thought to be the first 1 pint stove that Primus made

1262006405-230_ass_opt.jpg

1262006418-1911_230_flame_opt.jpg 1262006435-230_tank_lid_opt.jpg 1262006471-230_bottle__opt.jpg 1262006489-230_pack_opt.jpg 1262006508-230_box_opt.jpg

The legs were made by me so should not be used to verify legs on other stoves of this period. The funnel came with the outfit but any funnel from that period would be metal.

The reasoning behind the date of its introduction is convoluted and based on a statement made by Thomas Holding, the founder of the Association of Cycle Campers. The statement is contradictory so I am trying to decide which parts are correct to pinpoint the date that the 230 stove was introduced.

The Baby Primus was derived from what I believe to be the predecessor of this stove. The Baby Primus is first mentioned in the 1905-1906 Handbook so was definitely in existence then. There is a 1904 photo of Holding's bike and it shows a 2 pint stove tank fitted to the frame so the Baby Primus is unlikely to have existed then.

A 1 pint stove does not measure 5" diameter. It measures 5.25" diameter.

I suspect that Holding asked Svensons (Primus) for the 5" tanked stove but gave no other details of its design. Primus probably did not immediately respond with a stove because they were too busy making domestic stoves to meet the demand for those stoves. At some time later they probably realised that there was a demand for collapsible 1 pint stoves so simply reduced the size of their domestic stoves together with their normal features. Those included tubular feet and an airscrew that stuck sideways out of the filling tube. The tank was similar in diameter to that requested by Holding but not the same. Having produced a similar model to that requested they sent it to Holding.

I doubt whether Holding designed the stove modifications. I think that he simply repeated the requests stated above and Primus came up with the designs that suited Holding.

Having got the stove that he wanted he needed to get the pan made to suite the stove which would take a little while unless the pan maker had no other work to do.

I estimate that from getting the "wrong" stove to getting his Baby Primus and the So Soon pans made probably took a year so it appears that the 230 stove was in existence by 1904. However not as shown in the photos above. I think that the previous version had the airscrew sticking out of the side of the filling tube. Holdings requests produced the tank lid on this 1911 230 stove and it was used for several other stoves other than the Baby Primus. It was also fitted to the first version of 96 stoves and probably other stoves with a similar sized filling tube.

Holding claimed to have been experimenting (using) the stoves for 15 years in 1908. He also said he was slow to start using them. 1893 was 15 years before his statement but appears to have been the first year that Primus stoves were imported into the country which raises doubt as to the accuracy of his statements.

The Baby Primus does not appear to have been given a model number but was sold by Holding in parallel with the 230s being sold elsewhere. Essentially the Bay Primus was a 230 tank with the bun feet underneath it and a pump cap instead of a pump knob.

Holding fell out with the ACC and took his Baby Primuses with him so in 1910 the ACC was selling Primus 230 roarer 1 pint stoves and Primus 234 1 pint silent stoves together with Primus 215 2.25 pint roarer stoves and 216 2.25 Primus 2.25 pint silent stoves

In 1915 they were selling 96s, 230s and 234s. They also sold separately a "Compact" Primus outfit tin which had oil and spirit cans, burner shield (windshield?,) box of repair parts, swabs and room for a 230 or 234 stove.

In 1916 they were selling the 96s, 210s (late 230) and 234s. The "late 230" may be misleading in that the 210 may have had different feet to the 230 and the similarity in size might have prompted the "late 230" comment although it probably meant that the 230 had been dropped

Regards Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Bryan,

This is outstanding information, my friend!! Thank you, very much, for sharing it. I recall seeing a SVEA stove in the museum in Fairbanks, AK, which was used for scaling Denali (Mt. McKinley) in 1910. Supposedly the first stove used on that mountain. Whilst that large SVEA was not actually designed for that sort of thing, me thinks, it obviously worked well for the Gents that used it on that climb. Thanks, again, for sharing this, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark