1913-14 Lux N:o 3

Discussion in 'Lux' started by Christer Carlsson, May 4, 2016.

1. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

The No. 3 is pretty much the same as No. 1, just with the exception that it got a preheater that's meant for paraffin.
    As seen from the 1913 catalogues illustration below, it's stated as a new model that year (That's the word "Nyhet", you can see on the top left and right), hence my estimation of the period in the title.
    Mind you, it's still not certain, because they did continue to call this model a novelty in the 1914 years catalogue!
    Since I don't have one from 1912 or 1911, I can't tell how long they did keep on calling it a new model, but it couldn't have been for so long, so 1913 or possibly a bit earlier is the best we can assume.
    1914 is not so hard to place as an end date since Lux ceased their stove manufacturing that year (sold it off to Optimus).

A nicely patinated stove that still has all the correct parts, like the burner and pan ring.
    The insert of the paraffin preheater might have been exchanged, though.
    In the catalogue they claim that it use a similar preheater as they do on their lamps, but if so, it should consist of a series of circular 'flumes' with decreasing diameter, stacked the next over the other inside that outer cylinder with the little handle.
    Not really like the more known one Primus used on their version of this preheater, but similar.
    But on the other hand this one actually do work pretty well, so perhaps it is the right one. Time will tell.
    I'll demonstrate the preheater working on paraffin later on.

IMG_1806.jpg

kombi.jpg IMG_1806.jpg IMG_1808.jpg IMG_1815.jpg IMG_1818.jpg IMG_1819.jpg IMG_1822.jpg IMG_1827.jpg IMG_1837.jpg

Lux1913_6.jpg

2. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

A real museum quality stove: unmolested, all of the original parts and fitments, and a fine patina:thumbup:. Externally at least the paraffin pre-heater looks more reminiscent of the Monitor Regal version, but that was late-'30s and this is pre-WW1; so no doubt about who had the idea first!
    Can't wait to see the promised firing up sequence:D.
    And the tank bottom, does it display the legendary 'BOL.LUX' attribution, which I think should be there up to the beginning of 1914 at least , or is the Lux provenance mark absent, which might place it at the very end of nominally 'Lux' production?
    Fabulous! Ian.

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Such a lovely stove. A real piece of early stove history.

4. Doug L

Doug L Subscriber

great stove with a patina to match its age
    wonderful photography too

5. Bratok_xxl Russian Federation

Nice stove !!! I see only one Lux on e-market in Russia/ But price is too expensive and stove have non-original parts.

6. gunsoo

Amazing brillant stove !!