1915 Primus no. 4

Discussion in 'Primus No:4' started by Brass monkey, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Brass monkey

Brass monkey Subscriber

This is an unfettled primus no. 4 that I have had for a while. Interestingly it seems that the E date stamp has been placed over a D. There are also other obscure leter stamps I have tried to show. The windshield came with the stove when i purchased it and from memory I paid $45 (NZ dollars) from an antique/retro store. Unfortunately it is missing the outer burner cap so I will be looking for a replacement.

Enjoy the pictures...

IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0250.JPG IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0257 (1).JPG IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0251.JPG IMG_0240.JPG

2. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@Brass monkey nice stove, and you are lucky, you have the inner cap, which is the hardest part to find, Base Camp, amongst others, have No.4 brass outer caps available (part no. P4196).

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Brass Monkey, lovely stove. I really like the No.4 stove model and have several of them, but none unfortunately as early as yours.

Once you get the outer cap fitted you should get if fired up OK.

I believe that your burner could be later than the stove tank, as earlier No.4 burners had fitted burner screens rather than removable inner and outer caps. There are often date codes on the hex of the burner and it would be interesting to know if yours is date-coded.

As to the over-stamping of the tank date -code, this has been reported in several stove posts on CCS.

Thanks for posting the photos and I look forward to seeing action shots.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. kerophile

Hi, just looking at your photos at higher manification and it looks as if the burner hex of your stove might be date-coded YO, which would make it 1934.

Best

5. Brass monkey

Brass monkey Subscriber

I noticed the stamped letters on the burner, perhaps YC or YO as you suggest. I also have a pre 1911 no.4 with the original burner though it is missing other parts but I intend to restore it sometime. In any case I will purchase a burner cap for this one.

The date stamps on the burners are intriguing, now i have been looking at my other primus burners for stamps. Is there a thread about this on the site?

6. kerophile

Hi @Brass monkey , there is no special thread discussing burner date-code stamps, that I can recall. However there are several posts where date codes have been noted on individual burners, and discussed in relation to the date code on the accompanying stove tank. In the vast majority of Reference Gallery stoves the tank and burner codes (when present) agree within a year or so.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. kerophile