1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1920's Prentiss Wabers Auto Cook Kit

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by VooDuuChild, Mar 14, 2009.

1. VooDuuChild United States

Here's my Auto Cook Kit from The Roaring 20's. It's in incredible shape cosidering the year and must have just barely been used, if at all other than being fired up. If I remember corectly, I don't even think the second burner's been lit. It also has the original box (it came C.O.D. haha) and the original hand-written packing slip with it. This is truly one of my favorites in my collection. The brass tank has a built in pressure gauge on it that works quite well and reads nicely. All the directions that are stickered to it read nicely and are too in great shape themselves. Hope y'all enjoy the pics!

1237147796-IMG_1522.jpg 1237147801-IMG_1523_opt.jpg 1237147813-IMG_1526.jpg 1237147807-IMG_1524.jpg 1237147818-IMG_1528.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. DAVE GIBSON United States

another prize :shock: --any idea where they came from to be in such good shape??-dealer model?? or just someone who quit after the first try?

3. hydro451

Hi VDC, you got a real jewel here ! No sample on Terry Marsh's site and it has no model number on it, this is a rare find and in that conditon even more so - the paint on inner part of cover and windshields looks fantastic - great score . The burner manifold and heads are really unusual as well as the legs , boy I'd love to have this stove - congrats !!

Cheers Tom

Do you plan to fire it up ? Love to see. please !!!

4. VooDuuChild United States

Well, I'm kind of afraid to light it. I know it holds pressure and such, but if I had a flare-up and had to douse the stove, it'd surely ruin the stickers on the inner parts of the lid and stuff. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon. I really have no idea why it wasn't used more. It came in the original box it was shipped in, hand-written postal slip and hand written packing slip from Prentiss-Wabers. It is truly one of my favorites. More stove pics to come now that I'm home.

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

Yet another cracking stove, VooDuuChild!! :shock: :shock:

6. coleman413c United States

VooDooChild:

Can you give me outside dimensions(width,length & height) of your Auto Cook Kit, along with the size of the grates?

With that information, I can give you the model number.

Joe

7. VooDuuChild United States

I'll have to see if it's here at the house or in the storage unit with some others....kinda ran outta room in the shed/garage...hehehe

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hey, VooDuu Child,

Are you still out and about here at CCS? The old PW that I found many years ago, turned out to be a Model 4, just like yours, except mine has been slovenly painted, including the directions, and it's missing it's fuel cap. I did not see a pump with your stove, and I wonder if you have that item? If so, could you please post some photos of it? The pump which came with mine, is supposed to screw into the top of the fuel cap vent, which is threaded to accept it, then the pump works through a rubber hose, which has been connected to the fuel cap, to pressurize the fuel tank. Is yours setup that way, or is the cap vent smooth for a later pump fitting, which just mates up to the smooth surface, and has a pressure seal when you are pumping it?

The short story on this is that I'm trying to find a proper PW fuel cap for this particular stove. And, though I "could" use the regular, smooth vent versions, I would prefer to use it with the original pump, if possible.

Thanks for any help you can send, and close-up photos of your threaded cap vent, and pump would be appreciated, if they are, indeed threaded to work together!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. VooDuuChild United States

I am sorry for the late response Doc. I have been out of the game for quite some time...I have a new job, new house (we had to do a full remodel/rennovation before moving in it was so bad) and well...things just got put on the back burner ;-) Anyhow, I do not have the original pump to the best of my knowledge. I just used a regular pump to test the pressure gauge.

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Morning, VooDuuChild!

Great to hear from you, and many thanks for your reply! Welcome back, also, to CCS! As it turned out, one of the very kind Gentlemen over on the Coleman Collector's Forum sent me a proper cap for my PW #4, and it worked like a champ. I've got the stove up and running, and the second burner being close to perfect. The first burner, unfortunately, has some soft fivers deep inside the proprietary steel "jet", and so far, I cannot get them to come out, completely! I've tried soaking it in Coleman fuel, and picking at the "stuff" from behind, with a dental tool. Got quite a bit of it out, but there still remains enough that the burner fires up, then clogs very soon thereafter. I'm tempted to remove the twin "jets", and hit both of them with a torch, heating and quenching, until the rest of that fuzz comes out. I KNOW that, eventually, this fine stove will run like brand new, and I'm patiently working on it to achieve that goal. Once that happens, I'll need to remove the crappy green paint that some previous owner used to cover EVERYTHING, including the brass fuel tank, and the instructions, which were glued to the inside lid of this stove!!! :shock: :doh: :rage: Oh, well...... fettling continues, and will eventually be a success! Thanks, again, for getting back to me, and best of luck in your new home and new job! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc