1928 - Primus No 717 dual burner.

Discussion in 'Primus No:717' started by Matty, May 31, 2015.

1. Matty

G'day all,

I have just purchased my first 'stove' if that's what in fact it is. I have never looked for stoves to buy but this one caught my eye and I couldn't go past it. I thought I may be able to on sell it for a bit of a profit to afford me another pressure lamp that I do like to collect.

Having said that, I am in no way here looking for an evaluation of the stove/burner, just for information about it if anyone has any.

I have looked long and hard on the internet and cannot find one single mention of the 717 anywhere. I asked my mate from CPL, Christer Carlsson, if he knew anything about the 717. Christer said he thought it strange that nothing could be found on the internet about the 717 but even stranger he couldn't find any mention of it in any catalogues.

I have emailed Primus asking them for any information they have but I have no clue as to how helpful they may be.

So, if anyone could shed any light on the 717, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks in advance.

1433032552-primus717.JPG

1433032573-primus7171.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Matty

I have just cleaned a very small area on the bottom of the tank, right in the middle, as I could see a faint mark.

The mark appears to be an S over a 9.

3. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Hi Matty and welcome,
    You have my attention with your very interesting 2 burner apparatus. It is nice and I thank you for sharing it. Primus made MANY apparatus, stoves were among them and a large part of what they produced but yours may not be a stove?
    Sadly, as for myself, I'm not aware of a reference to a No.717 (and don't have a link to share w/you). Again focus of CCS reference material is re stoves.

I'm curious if there's also a Primus logo stamped on it?
    It's pre 1955 but a conundrum might be: An "S" stamped on bottom of a Primus tank can indicate 1928.
    However "PRIMUS" stamped such as yours w/o a logo can indicate earlier.

I did see at least 3 catalogs from the 30s that show a Primus stove No.146.
    The No.146 is one burner but has a vertical tank similar to yours. It's seems possible the 717, if it is a stove / cooking burner, it could be used and attach similarly to the 146 but I do not know.
    Comparing to 146 is an initial thought I had for now (if it's a stove), better details may yet come forward.

There are many models in the 700 range and 717 seems to be another one. The 1929 French Primus catalog, for example, has No.s 732, 733, 742, 744 and the 745 a big eye-popping 6 burner.
    thx again omc

4. Matty

Hello omc,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have pictured the Primus logo.

Also, on top of the tank, it has a brass plaque with the words Hammans Ltd - manufacturers - Sydney NSW.

The plaque isn't just stuck on the surface of the tank. The tank seems to have been recessed to receive the plaque so it is flush with the tank. To my eye, it seems the plaque was considered at the time of the tanks manufacture - it wasn't an afterthought.

1433048233-IMG_8830.JPG

1433048280-IMG_8828.JPG

5. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

I wonder if this is a tank that has been adapted for a specific purpose and has the name plate been used to cover an original burner hole?

This still does not account for the absence of info on a 717 on the internet!

good luck with the search.

Nick

6. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Moderator SotM Winner

No, I think the apparatus was made in this way from the beginning with the burner outlet on the side.
    Just look at this 716. It's very much the same. Probably just in another size.
    Also other furnaces used this tank with a long horizontal tube for the sideways mounted burner.

That's correct. It's not a stove per se. It's a heating apparatus. We have many of those in the gallery since they still are related.

Yes, we see that sort of tag on other heating apparatus.
    Like e.g. on this furnace.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  7. Matty

Christer, I have been waiting for someone to pick up on this as you did "...it has a brass plaque with the words Hammans Ltd - manufacturers - Sydney NSW." (I wanted to edit my post but couldn't work it out then it wouldn't let me quote you.

I agree, that it is probably Hannam S L. It looks clearer in the photo, oddly enough, than it does in real life.

Christer, how would this unit be used as a heating apparatus? Can you think of some typical applications one would use it for?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  8. Christer Carlsson

I deleted that part I wrote about Hannam SL before you posted your reply. I found that Hannam's is common on the net, so perhaps there's a little ' between the m and s on your plaque?

There are some references to Hannam's in Sydney on the web.
    It seems like they among others were into water heating businness. Bath and room heaters etc., so something in that area is possibly where this burner was used.

From one ad in Sydney Morning Herald in 1909 : "Hannam's bath heaters & room warmers for gas, kerosene and wood fuel"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
  10. Christer Carlsson

...just what I said. [-( ;) :lol:

11. Matty

Christer - still can't get the quote thingy to work for me - I actually tried finding the Hannam company myself and looked on trove but didn't have any luck unlike you.

I thought I would post a couple of photos to give a size reference. I have photographed it alongside a Tilley x246 fount. I suspect it would have at least twice the capacity for fuel than the Tilley.

1433073020-IMG_8831.JPG

1433073034-IMG_8832.JPG

12. Christer Carlsson

Nice photos. I like your logotype. :content:

Quoting shouldn't be any problems. However the button you are used to from CPL is removed here.
    You need to cut the part you want to quote yourself, and then use the small quote button when you are making a reply.
    But that button won't show unless you go in to "Full Reply", i.e. not using the quick reply field at the very bottom of the thread.

You need to make those two flame forming tubes.
    That shouldn't be any difficulties.
    It also looks like you need the bleeder screw.
    We do want to see it in action, you know... ;)

13. Matty

Christer said Nice photos. I like your logotype. Thanks. My daughter is into card making and owns a couple of popular blogs and a forum. She designs and creates the watermarks for a fee.

Thanks for mentioning the bleed screw. I saw it was missing but wasn't sure what it was called. Any ideas where I could get one?

I think with the help of all the posters to this topic things are starting to clear. This is my take on why these heaters aren't in the Primus catalogues nor any information on the net about the 717.

As I said earlier, with the Hannam's brass plaque, it looks as though the fount was manufactured to accept the plaque. It points to these 717's being a purpose made order for Hannam's and they were used as bath heaters as per Kerophiles' suggestion and also your information in regards to the trove newspaper ad from 1909. (In that ad it says Hannam's Ltd, that - an apostrophe - would account for the gap between the M and S.

Being purpose built for a single company would account for the zero Primus catalogue entries for the 717, as it wouldn't have been available to the general public.

What say you lot?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  14. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

See what you mean Christer,
    I have seen a Monitor version of this with a single burner.like the one kero posted a link to.
    I think it was for heating a bath or tank of water.
    Cheers Nick

15. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Matty

I can supply a bleed screw if you haven't got one yet.

Tony

16. Matty

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the kind offer of a bleeder screw. outbackboy from CPL came to my rescue and posted one today.

As you requested via PT here is the marks on the bottom of the fount.

1433909299-s9.jpg