1930s? 00 Patent

Discussion in 'Optimus No:00' started by Wim, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi all,

this Optimus 00 arrived last friday. Having spend a long time browsing through all that has been written about the 00 in the ref. gallery I think it is an early version of collapsible feet model.
    Over all, the stove was pretty clean with a few minor dings. The tin it came in has had a repair at the bottom (someone did some soldering) and shows some slight rusting. When temps get higher (it is freezing in my shed! :?) I'll try to revive things a bit with Hammerite rust remover. I don't think the plastic spirit bottle is an original.....[-X
    After the photo shoot, I decided to replace the damaged pump cup, nrv pip and rock-hard filler cap washer. Rinsed the fount with BBQ lighter fuel, then filled 'er up with paraffin/kerosene. The flame ring was slightly de-formed so with the help of a rubber mallet and a steel ball (from a giant roller bearing) made things look a bit better. So, before my fingers were totally frozen off, I filled a kettle with tap water and lit the stove. It looks like it can do with a new nipple (no problem, I have plenty but I thought it to be a bad idea to try and replace it with frozen fat fingers!:roll:) but the flame turned bleu with the kettle on. I will also have to replace the washer on top of the spirit cup as there was a tiny leak. The kettle came to a rolling boil in about the time it takes to smoke half a pipe, so that is fast enough for me! My only remaining chicken was also happy to have its water supply defrosted with the hot water ;).
    Now, the main problem I have to solve is to find a place to park the travel cap, as the boss on the fount is already taken by....another cap!:lol: Maybe I simply have to find me another 00 with a missing cap8).

P1220074.JPG

P1220077.JPG

P1220074.JPG

P1220075.JPG

P1220076.JPG

P1220078.JPG

P1220079.JPG

P1220080.JPG

P1220082.JPG

P1220082.JPG

P1220083.JPG

P1220084.JPG

P1220094.JPG

P1220095.JPG

P1220096.JPG

P1220097.JPG

Hope you liked it!

All the best,

Wim

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

A fine thing indeed Wim. I've a 'Patent' marked one of those but your tin's in a better condition than mine.

John

3. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi John @presscall , indeed, for its age, the tin is in a rather good condition me thinks. The bottom needs a bit of careful re-shaping, the latch needs to be 'un curved' and the hinge can do with a new retaining pin. Other than that, and some slight corrosion and the soldering (I'll leave that un touched) all is fine. The burner has a slight slant to it but it is so little I won't risk making things worse. All in all, I think this stove was well cared for by its former owner(s).

All the best,

Wim

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Wim

Very nice. :thumbup:

Your idea of finding another to fit the extra cap to is the correct way.

Cheers

Tony

5. Caveman

Nice:clap:
    I see the flame shot:D/ but no picture of the chicken:cry:

Cheers
    B

6. Wim

Wim Subscriber

7. Caveman

Barred Rock or maybe Speckled Sussex?
    She looks like a wise and considerate old girl. Probably holds a good conversation?:content:
    Cheers
    B

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Over here we call these "Mechelse Koekoek". The first part refers to the city Mechelen where they are a very popular breed, the second part translates as cuckoo. Don't ask me why!:roll::lol: They are not so good in producing eggs but are famous for their meat. I think most of them were sold to the citizens of Brussels who are known as Kiekefretters (chicken eaters). Another nickname for the Brussels citizens is Krokodil (crocodile), big mouth, thick neck and crooked hands[-(;).
    Not much conversation, but she makes funny (happy?) noises when receiving fresh food!
    As for meat, this chicken is "safe" as The Missus does not want to eat anything she gave a name! So that's good news for Christiane (named after her mom's sister who she never liked[-().......

Best regards,

Wim

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

10. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Interesting link George! I can see a slight resemblance in the colour patern, maybe that's why they got their name of Mechelse Koekoek.